68k Software
 Productivity software on 68000 machines
Author Topic  
emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  08:38:45
Hi all,

I'm working on some software loads for very lowend macs. ie: Plus, pb100, etc. Mainly 68000 based macs with max 4 meg ram and maybe a harddisk. Anyone got a favorite office app that runs nice on this hardware? I've got a great list of word processors, but spreadsheets and databases are thin. Did anyone use anything for presentation besides hypercard?

If you got a favorite app, let me know so I can try it out. The best software loads I'm going to write up for 68kmla articles.

Thanks,

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  12:36:00
For spreadsheet-type work, I really love Trapeze. Its an old abandonware app that is unlike any other spreadsheet (which is why it flopped in the marketplace). I also used Multiplan on a 128k and remember other using TK!Solver and early versions of Excel on older 68k hardware.

My mom used Microsoft Works (v2 IIRC) on her Plus for a mailing list database - so that's a possibility. Hypercard can be used for some kinds of database stuff also.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  12:58:42
Well, that last post went bad. It's gone now...

What I wanted to say was that I'd hadn't thought of Works. I do have a copy around somewhere. I've never seen Trapeze, I'll have to check it out.

After I get the software load figured out for a Plus with floppies, I'm going to work on my 128k with two 400k drives. That should be a challenge.

emaq123

Edited by - emaq123 on 25 Apr 2003 12:59:42Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  01:13:24
I know that Word 5 would run on a 68000 with 1 MB of RAM (system 6) I know that it's one of my favorites in word processing until I find something else....

I also know that your welcome to submit that article to the MLAgazine if you find the time and actually write it... I'd love to see it go into the MLAgazine because it's just the kind of thing that the MLAgazine is all about!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  08:23:07
I have a copy of "GreatWorks" by Symatec which is kinda like ClarisWorks except better (and it was written earlier?) It has word processing, spreadsheets, database, charts and communications all rolled into one. Vey nice

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  18:04:21
Wow, i'm amazed that no-one has mentioned ClarisWorks 2 yet! Version 2 of ClarisWorks (now AppleWorks) runs GREAT on 68000 powred Macs, and just the app alone fits on a floppy with a bit of room to spare. Its very highly reccommended.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  19:10:39
Thanks for the input eveyone. I've never heard of Greatworks, that will be another one to check out.

maclover5: I just installed ClarisWorks 1.0 on the classic. My install set was 6 800k floppies. The app is 562k but how much functionality do you lose without the files from the system folder? This is something I'll have to check when I start running the Plus. I want to set my Plus up without a hard disk so that I have a silent computer.

A few early stats for those who don't like waiting for the article.

Mac Classic 8/4/40
System 6.0.8

Cold boot: 34 Seconds
Warm boot: 14 Sec

Application Launch Times
Macwrite 2.20: 4 Sec
MS Works 2.00e: 9 Sec
ClarisWorks 1.0: 15 Sec

One other note. <snip complaint about bad disk> As soon as you complain, it will start to work. I just installed Word 5.1 on my PB160 so my disks are good.

Keep the input coming. After I get the Classic baselined, I'll start on other models.

emaq123

Edited by - emaq123 on 26 Apr 2003 20:33:33Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  00:16:05
are you writing an Ariticle for MLAgazine?

I want to say that there might have actually been presentation software other than HyperCard but if you play it right hypercard is one of the best things out there....

I haven't used HC for presentations lately though....

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  07:01:52
Zedcor's DesK was a nice little suite back in the day also.
DeskPaint was my main pixel processing utility until very recently.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  08:07:58
quote:

are you writing an Ariticle for MLAgazine?

I want to say that there might have actually been presentation software other than HyperCard but if you play it right hypercard is one of the best things out there....

I haven't used HC for presentations lately though....

I'm writing an article. If you want it for MLAgazine, it's yours. My premise / madness is this: Almost every computer when released, was the biggest, fastest, most powerful box of it day. The only reason these boxes got slow was that people run software that should be run a different box. If you get the right software with the right computer, you should be able to a 15 year old computer be as fast as todays computers.

Presentation Software wasn't a big thing back in the 80's early 90's so it is hard to find titles will work. I've got to reseach PowerPoint to see when it came out, before MS bought it. It might run on 68000 macs. Other than that, hypercard seems to be well suited for presentations. I'm thinking of doing a presentation of each of my computers that runs on the computer. For the compact macs, hypercard looks good to me.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  08:21:40
quote:

Zedcor's DesK was a nice little suite back in the day also.
DeskPaint was my main pixel processing utility until very recently.

Any idea where I can find more info on Zedcor Desk? A quick search of the web and usenet only found this:

quote:

I took a minimalist approach and loaded what I needed as well as some
extra software "just in case" and I'm amazed that I can do all I want with
some a small amount of RAM and hard drive. I found an old copy of Zedcor's
Desk software collecting dust in my closet and loaded some of the modules
from it. Couldn't believe the power of DeskWrite and DeskCalc pack into a
600K package (including help files and spell checker). Add to that the
Apple fax software, Spiral (my favorite notebook), ZTerm, Eudora,
StorySpace (writing tool), a couple of games, Norton Utilities, etc. and I
only filled up 14MB of drive space.

That sounds like what I'm looking for.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  08:51:21
quote:

Any idea where I can find more info on Zedcor Desk? A quick search of the web and usenet only found . . .

So far . . . a quick look in my boxes has found NOTHING!

but googling:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=deskcalc+deskpaint

turned up:

http://www.atariarchives.org/cfn/12/05/03/0033.php

I'm pretty sure the manuals are in a box somewhere around here . . . or maybe in the storage room . . . dunno about the floppies tho.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  16:09:11
quote:
maclover5: I just installed ClarisWorks 1.0 on the classic. My install set was 6 800k floppies. The app is 562k but how much functionality do you lose without the files from the system folder? This is something I'll have to check when I start running the Plus. I want to set my Plus up without a hard disk so that I have a silent computer.

Not much. All you lose is the translators, which allow you to open files in other formats. Without them, the app alone runs fine.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  05:59:51
For painting and drawing, I like SuperPaint for its support of both pixel and vector graphics. Version 2 is my favorite version. I curse the fact that I upgraded to version 3 (bloated!) and somehow lost my v2 disks. GRRRR!

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  06:37:49
Somewhere I had a boxed copy of MacDraw 2 or something :-\ that seems to have run well on the 575, which is completely unrelated to this topic... but iThink it would have worked on a compact such as yours (a 68000)

That should be one of the easy ones to find disk images for on the 'net

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  11:32:15
quote:

For spreadsheet-type work, I really love Trapeze. Its an old abandonware app that is unlike any other spreadsheet (which is why it flopped in the marketplace). I also used Multiplan on a 128k and remember other using TK!Solver and early versions of Excel on older 68k hardware.

Is this where the allusion to trapeeze artist comes into your sig?

hehehe

I like clarisworks personally, and I also like MacWrite for these kinds of things.

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  12:05:02
quote:

Is this where the allusion to trapeeze artist comes into your sig?

Yes.

Trapeze has not been updated since 1987, is not 32-bt clean, and has a serious bug with PPC machines (you can't enter numbers directly into formulas or cells). Despite this, I have found hacks to make it work on my G4 and still use it for all manner of engineering calculations and simulations.

Its great software for those that think different.

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.