All Forums
 Trading Post! (Buy, sell & trade)
 WTB: Rev. B Beige G3 ROM DIMM
Author Topic  
The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  10:25:51
Guess what folks? I fired up the beige G3 motherboard with the new 266 MHz CPU and everything and found out that I still need a ROM DIMM

It's a Rev. B motherboard (Rage Pro chipset without the DVD support), so I'm thinking it needs a Rev. B ROM DIMM. I don't know if it would work okay with a Rev. A ROM DIMM or not, but I'd prefer the Rev. B because it's the right one for this system. If anyone has a Rev. B ROM DIMM lying around, could you please let me know? It feels like I'm never going to get this thing together!

Also, could someone a little more experienced please inform me on the compatability of Rev. A ROM DIMMS and Rev. B motherboards?

The Beige G3 does need a ROM DIMM, doesn't it? I hope I just don't have a bad board.

Thanks.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III, FPU, 20/80/enet, 7.5.5, Mail Server

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 1G/512k L2, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIe

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  19:33:55
no ROM=no boot

THnxx
"ham salad is for lunch!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  09:21:52
quote:
no ROM=no boot

Thxs boredomconquersall.
quote:
"ham salad is for lunch!"

LOL.
quote:
and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!

LOL! Working on lawn mowers can have the same therapeutic effect. I'll take your warning to heart, but I'm going to try anyway - once I get a ROM DIMM. I guess I just like to drive myself insane.

Another thing that can drive you insane is trying to install a NIC card in a *NIX, and also trying to compile things when you have no knowledge of C and an outdated version of the GNU libraries. But then, how else would we learn?

Btw, did I mention that I'm a vampire J/K

P.S. Still looking for that ever elusive ROM DIMM.Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  10:30:49
There was just a rev B on the LEM sawp list for cheap, might wanna put a WTB up there. (I deleted the email)

And a rev a will work fine, you just wont get slave drive functionallity unless you use X. My rev c board works fine with my Rev A rom.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

gdogkzo

147 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  10:53:10
I have RevA ROM-DIMM that i used with a RevB motherboard and a 500Mhz G4 zif just fine. $15 + shipping if you want it.
Geoff

Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  10:43:02
There's a few on eBay for that much that aren't getting any bids.
Take a look at these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2723698904&category=11151
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2723467628&category=14911

Thanks, anyway.Go to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  16:58:26
quote:
LOL! Working on lawn mowers can have the same therapeutic effect.

Ah, come on! Lawn mower repair is easy! oh, btw, the crankshaft end play on a Briggs and Stratton model 120202 is .002"-.030"

'course, I'm on a small engine repair team for school, so I know all that crap.

and on the subject of OS X on a beige: It isn't that great, even on my 400 mhz G3 Rev C/448 meg/Radeon 7000 it is still dog slow.

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  17:57:03
quote:
Ah, come on! Lawn mower repair is easy!

It's nice to see that there's someone else out there who works on computers and lawn mowers, too. It is easier than car repair, though! At least you don't need a hoist to overhaul an engine!

Ever tried to rebuild a pulsa-jet? Not fun! Especially when it doesn't want to idle right when you're done. If you ever get involved with a pulsa-jet, my advice to you is get rid of it and hook up that vaccu-jet you have lying around instead. Probably why B&S doesn't make them anymore.

Do they give you nice new engines to work on? This makes things a lot easier. Especially when you have to remove the oil sump. There can be quite a bit of rust on that crankshaft making it very hard to remove without sanding (filing!) it off.

Case in point: One time I was going to replace a leaky lower oil seal on a Tecumseh and was sanding and filing the rust off of the crankshaft. I got impatient and tried hammering it off before removing all the rust. Well, that little bit of rust was enough to hold the oil sump solidly half way off of he crankshaft. After a lot of hammering and pulling, it cracked all the way around the bearing and broke off, leaving the bearing still frozen on the end of the crankshaft and giving me a large cut in the process. At that point I got real mad and put a hammer through the shortblock! I think the strong gas fumes had something to do with it. Luckily it was mine that I had picked out of the garbage and not a customer's.

I used to pick lawn mowers out of the garbage, fix them up, and sell them in the PennySaver back in the days before the solvents made me go crazy.

Some common phrases that can be heard while I'm working on lawn mowers:

"I hate oil!" (smells funny, leaves nasty black stains and gets all over)
"I hate gas!" (smell messes with your head)
oil sump = "Chamber of Death"
Carburetor cleaner = Ever read the warning label on this stuff?!

P.S. Still looking for that ever elusive ROM DIMM.

Edited by - The Lightning Stalker on 27 Apr 2003 17:58:02Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  04:25:21
Okay, guys. I think I got one for $5 + $5 s&h by badgering a guy with a completed eBay auction.

ThanksGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.