68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 The age difference between you and your spouse?
Author Topic  
raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  10:15:11
I saw this really nice lady at the optics store...

She looks a little too old though :/

_r

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  12:56:37
It really is a personal decision for you, My wife & I got on really well, she is four years younger than me, but just in the last year I feel that I have matured a great deal, my wife is a little girl who wants to party, go on fancy holidays etc, I want to work hard, to be able to enjoy my life, to achieve a better standard of living for my family.

It is so important to "grow up", to learn about who you are & what you want to get out of life.

Allways relationships have a chance to work, but you & the other person have to make it work.

Have some fun while your young is my best advice

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  13:16:24
As shaktiman put it, it is the similarity in psychological age that matters more than the chronological age difference. If you and her seem to have a natural understanding of each other and are in sync on what you like to do, how you think , etc., then physical age is less relevant.

That said, my wife is about 3 years younger than me and it seems that many of the married people that I know have a similar wife-younger-than-husband dynamic. I guess this is because they say men mature slower than women. I also know people that worry about potential mates being either too much older or younger than they becuase of the difference in shared experiences. But these are all anecdotal and statistical observations that may be irrelavent ot your situation.

As to whether you should enjoy yourself while you are young or try to figure out what you want out of life before settling down, that is an even harder issue. I married fairly young -- I was 22 and my wife was 19. It was the the best thing that ever happened to me and still is. At the same time I am now over 40 and still don't know what I want to get out of life. All along the way, however, I have has a great time as my wife and I both try to figure out what we want to be when we grow up.

I wish you all the best in life.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  14:33:02
quote:
As to whether you should enjoy yourself while you are young or try to figure out what you want out of life before settling down, that is an
even harder issue. I married fairly young -- I was 22 and my wife was 19. It was the the best thing that ever happened to me and still is. At
the same time I am now over 40 and still don't know what I want to get out of life. All along the way, however, I have has a great time as my
wife and I both try to figure out what we want to be when we grow up.

I fully accept what G4 puts here & it is so true that everybody needs to find "their" own way in life, I don't know that there can be any "life guides" that could relate to everybody.

It is important to be happy & settled, I wasn't before being married, this has improved for me whilst being married, I do sometimes regret the amount of pressure that I have put on my partner.

I do quite often change my mind alot.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I wanted to say that G4 made good points.

shaktiman

os 8.1
os 8.6

Eft37

USA
193 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  15:14:01
My wife's 5 years older than I am.

Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  18:30:49
If I had a wife, she would probably be at least 10 years youger than me because chicks my age really suck. Could it be that I'm that immature? This would probably explain why I don't yet have a wife because the one that will be my wife is still 11. Pretty screwed up because that's a long time to wait.

Not having a job of couarse doesn't help either.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  21:43:39
well... see raWr you could just ask her and see if... you know...

iBet that she'd be better than me anyway :-\

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  02:28:17
My girlfriend is three years younger than I am. Pretty standard, I'd say. However, this is the forst time in 15 years I've had a girlfriend that isn't older than I am.

If it works, it works, and that's all there is to it, as far as I'm concerned.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  10:14:52
Well you wouldn`t want it to be that much older then each other. At leased thats what I think.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  00:54:39
I'd say that being too much older and/or too much younger could cause some :ahem: problems :cough:

:ahem: objective :gurgle: matereal :cough:

yeah...

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  13:10:24
quote:
I'd say that being too much older and/or too much younger could cause some :ahem: problems :cough:

:ahem: objective :gurgle: matereal :cough:

cory you ting out ohand with your comment for evething, you are making me laugh

& is your glass half empty or half full?
I'd say that being too much older and/or too much younger could cause some :ahem: unique benefits :cough

Do you think that you are right cory?
Do you think that todays world is a better place to be than yesterdays world?
Do you think that Londoners used to take opium in the Eighteen hundreds & that Londoners in the twentyfirst century take opium?

Do you think that "The Green Mile" was an interesting & thought provoking film, or just as Bush got into power do you think it was just a sad piece of propaganda trying to make us feel sympathy for redneckers who think they have the power to decide who lives & who dies?

You are a young man cory & you are great for it, you have a few more thoughts to have yet so keep thinking & above all keep making the world a happier place to be.

(((((((((((((((((((cory)))))))))))))))))))

shaktiman

os 8.1
os 8.6

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  13:57:36
quote:

well... see raWr you could just ask her and see if... you know...

Yeah but... I wanted to get clip-ons...and they coudn't make them for me that day... and the day they could she wasn't in [:V]

And I'm too shy [:V]

_r
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  20:19:32
This has been bugging me, but I really don't see where age has any basis yet. If I'm gathering this right, you haven't introduced yourself yet. Given that, think about this for a sec.

1) Does she seem attractive to you?
2) Does her personality look like it would suit you? (this may contridict itself if you get to know her, never know)
3) Can you get the balls up to say "hi" and start a conversation to at least start a talking relationship?

That's really all there is and letting nature take it's course will decide the rest. Either a more solid relationship will develope or you may find her to be ugly inside and want nothing to do with her.

I know I'm being blunt on this, but over-analyzing just causes delays and/or loss of oppertunity. The age thing itself doesn't mean squat except in legalites, (So no 11 year olds for the Stalker. ). To give you an example, I'll use part of my own past and present. When I was 16, I went out with a girl that was 4 years older. At 18, I was going with a girl that was 27 and at 19 one that was 34. When I was 20, I met my wife who is 2 months younger than me and have been married since. There were other relationships along the way, but those are the ones that stand out the most in my mind. The one thing that started all of my past experiences but one, was just thinking to myself, "She seems pretty cool" and walking up to say hi. You have nothing to lose because you're not with her yet, but everything to gain if things go well. I still believe I had more in common with the older girlfriends of my past, but one really good thing came out of meeting my wife. It reminded me of the importance of not trying to grow up too fast. Life throws you a bunch of hurdles to begin with, but it's necessary to keep pace with them. Go to slow, you won't clear the bar, but go to fast and you're liable to trip up. Best thing you can do is be yourself and get accepted for who you are. If she isn't into you, then the next girl around the corner that appeals to you might. You'll never know though, without giving her or someone else the chance to meet you.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  20:56:57
1) yes
2) yes
3) NEVER!

I'm the most "unconfident" person in the world...

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.