Lounge
 Anyone addicted to eBay?
Author Topic  
Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  03:46:57
Hi,

I have been on a bit of an auction spree recently, so I am wondering if anyone here is addicted to eBay. How many auctions have you bid on and won?

No real reason for asking, just curious

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  05:18:55
Lol, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of us are.

Under my current nic, I know it's 27. I had a different acount I stopped using about two years ago because it was getting me spammed out the yin-yang from other eBayers which drove me nuts. I lost count with that one.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  05:39:28
Mmmm Ebay... so much good stuff, so little cash!

Of my 121 feedback, about 90 is from buying. I've been on Ebay since June 1998 though so I don't reckon thats too bad - between 15 & 20 items a year!!!

Jobf.Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  06:20:05
I do follow the various ebay auction links that people post. And I do drool over the items for sale. But, I have not even registered at Ebay because I fear addiction to it.

No Account = No Addiction

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  06:31:13
My addiction falls on the joining of the LEM swap list and eBay at my computer. I can easily, and just did this past week, go overboard and get meself in deeper than I should have. Its that "just one more good deal" metality that gets me in trouble.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  06:32:18
I've been addicted to eBay forever! even before an account was graced with the name "cory5412" when I was in 5th grade to help me buy a Mac LC II (Originally I was bidding on a LC including whole system and StyleWriter printer...)

I've bid on about... 7 things maybe? won even less...

I am certainly addicted to BROWSING eBay though!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  11:25:04
Addicted to browsing, yes

I have to watch myself & have made various buys which in retrospect were not in my best interest, but I visit nearly every night, just in case theres a great bargain

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

Kyusaku Natsume
Starting Member

USA
24 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  11:59:52
Hehe, 151 and climbing, probably 100-110 are buying ones. Haven't sold anything in a long while, haven't had the time. Have tons of Mac stuff laying around, will probably offer a lot of it here first.

Otaku, part-time
Liberated Macs: 6 In progress: 11
"Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb."

Edited by - Kyusaku Natsume on 22 Apr 2003 12:09:09Go to Top of Page

VGplay
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  13:38:41
I'm kinda addicted. Whenever I have a nice chunk of money (which I rarrly have) I go take a look on ebay. Normally I find a good deal.

Current Mac Collection:
Macintosh Plus
And a Peforma 637CD on the wayGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  14:42:12
I was, but I've had to go cold turkey since I quit my last job.

I'm still jonesin' to bid, so I'll probably get the monkey on my back again when (if?) I do find another job.Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  14:49:25
If you want to see how many items I've won, you can just click this link:

http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=lightningstalkerGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  15:26:40
quote:

I was, but I've had to go cold turkey since I quit my last job.

I'm still jonesin' to bid, so I'll probably get the monkey on my back again when (if?) I do find another job.

LOL! I was SERIOUSLY addicted until last summer . . . during a personal/family emergency . . . I sorta lost track of what was important (in terms of eBay :rolleyes:) . . . and after an unbroken string of positive feedback . . . they quit me cold turkey!

I've been tempted to fix the problems . . .whatever they were.
. . . but I'm afraid to get started again.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  16:49:07
iWill. No PAF at uni. All i need is the $$$.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Chinook
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  19:19:33
quote:

I have to watch myself & have made various buys which in retrospect were not in my best interest, but I visit nearly every night, just in case theres a great bargain

I've made a few buys that too were not in my best interest either. In '99 I got burned from LCM Computers on a NewerTech G3 upgrade. The one I got was DOA, but another guy I emailed had bought three of them all dead. This seller uses the "untested, sold as-is" clause in every single auction they run and they don't return emails if anything goes wrong.

That's why you have to be careful of on ebay. A lot these scumbags just sell junk - literally junk. They state the specs, provide links to drivers or other info, take good pictures. but bury the "as-is, no refunds, returns or exchanges" inside a massive block of boiler plate terms and conditions of delivery and sale. This scam is always used in conjunction with the "untested" or "unknown condition" notation also buried in the listing.

Since then I've become much more sophisticated. I never buy anything "as is" unless it's something simple like a heatsink.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  20:43:09
I'm just looking for an overhead projector, and an LCD projection panel!

I really want to have a setup like this. One day I'll compose more plans and 'go public' with the 7300MediaCart (might be the 6500 if I am so inclined, but the 7300 has better performance as I've seen of it)....

just need a small cart, the projector and the panel....

I dont' even *need* a cart as I've 2 rolling desks... and I could just leave it on a small table that stays put...

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  21:10:13
Very intereasting indeed. Ive always had a habbit of looking over eBay, with no account, as I have had no cash. While doing this, i found out I kind of, enjoy looking at the feedback pages, looking for Negative ones for laughs (dont ask, Im odd ).

Right now after signing up a month ago, I have won once auction, and I have 3 pending right now..wish me luck!

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  08:30:14
I have been using EBAY for maybe 2 years with 35+ purchases.

I check it every day to see whats going on. I mostly purchased mac accesories, some software, and a few old ISA cards for the DOS game boxes, and amiga, c64,atari st gear. Small ticket stuff.

The LEM swap list has some good 68k deals every once and a while but its mostly PCI PM or newer these days.

Go to Top of Page

SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  10:55:10
Years back on ebay I found a video out card for the 6400/6500. These can be hard to find since they where only an option in the education models. The bid was at $25. That's a little high but it was a rare item so I decided to bid on it in the last seconds of the auction. I wanted to make sure I won the item so I put in a maximum bid of $150.00!!! When I click back to the page seconds later to see if I had won, I couldn't believe my eyes. Some poor guy had the same idea and won the item for $155.00. LOL I hope he enjoyed it. :)

I like it slowGo to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  11:14:05
Damn you you last minute bididng son of a......

I just lost the first of 3 auctions because sosmone bid at the very last moment, it was a nice Apple Interneal PCMCIA Modem for Newton..

If any of you guys are muddymarks, I wont be pleased..

Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  14:37:29
I'm often to be found bid sniping. Any bid before the last few moments of an auction only serves to push up the final price. Of course it's hard to pull off at home no dialup luckly most of my employers have cable or better though.

My feedback is at about 41 (feedback pending from 2 auctions) althoough if people weren;t so lazy it would be nearer 60.

I have to keep telling myself everytimg I see something that looks like a bargin it will almost certainly come around again. There are few mac things so rare that they won't be up on eBay more than once.

I tend to check the ending today and new today sectinos almost every day, my g/f would deffinetly say i was addicted!!

Luckily I haven't been burned yet although I've come close twice. One guy didn't respond for 2 weeks after I sent him the money apparently his computer crashed and burned although he said he had already posted it before he stopped emailing, anyway it turned up in the end.

Another guy from indonesia used buy it now on one of my auctions within about an hour of it going up. He transferred the money by paypal but I was about to transfer it to my bank the money was withdrawn. I then got 2 emails one from paypal and one from eBay saying this guy had been under investigation, I only lost my listing fee in the end and I could have probaly got it back but it wasn't worth the hassle. I sold that item about 2 days later to someone local anyway so it all worked out OK.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  21:43:45
The key to EBAY is to remember very few items listed there are really rare, you see them listed every few weeks. Never overbid on an item, most likely the brother of the seller is just jacking up the price. I seen items go for alot of money sometimes, and they get relisted a few days later.. same add same item.

Oh, and know what the item costs from other online venders or swap lists before you go nuts in your bidding.

Look over the fine print, some of those guys make ALL their money just on the shipping/handling charging alot more then they pay for shipping.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  06:32:01
yeah... I certainly love eBay but it's always good to have a word of caution..

most of the things sold "as is" have worked for me....

there was also some sort of... macintosh classified ad site... www.macclassifieds.com or something... I've done a few deals there too...

Almost got 3 classics and a classic II that way... :drool: I would have loved to have those.

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  10:19:50
Ebays cool.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  00:08:37
I'd love it if you could elaborate a little bit more catsdorule... it'll help me assess this latest assault of posts from a member who "left the MLA"

yeah I love the deals you can get on eBay if you look around.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.