68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 PM8100 meets Copland - Report of Progress!
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  17:32:12
Yesterday afternoon, i decided to try and get Copland running on an empty 500 meg SCSI HD i have in my PowerMac 8100. Here is a report on progress so far.

Mac OS 8 Build D11E4

I loaded on a base install of Sys. 7.5 like the instructions said, and then installed Build D11E4 of Mac OS 8. The first time i did it, i put down the Caps Lock key, as the instructions said, and rebooted. I got it to boot to a broken System Folder icon. Not the blinking question mark icon we are used to, but an icon representing a System 7 style system folder with a break in the middle. I formatted the drive and tried again, and lo and behold, we had Copland! It has the coolest startup screen i've ever seen, which, as Da Penguin says, is a big blue square that pixelates into the Mac OS logo. It then starts scrolling through all these linux like commands and looks like something from The Net. It has a really cool startup. It then arrives at the desktop. From what is've seen, it should be able to run apps that work under System 7.5.x, as i was able to launch Spectre (although it crashed as soon as i hit Play). I must say though, this is a really unstable system. Its like driving around in an old Holden Kingswood with no seat belts or brakes, as well as the wheel nuts removed: You can have a lot of fun if you be careful, but if you don't be careful, you can do a lot of damage. It should be more stable once i run the debugger, which i am currently figuring out. I am planning to run it on my LCIII. I have tried to take some screenshots, but because of the instability of the system, all it does is created a PICT file full of distortion that will crash your system (and i tried it in both System 7.5.3 and the real Mac OS 8.5.1)

Mac OS 8 Build D7E1

I havent' had much progress with this, it installs, and then when i restart to it, i get a dialog box saying that System 7.1 won't work on this computer.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  19:32:51
COOLglayven!!!

I am envious... I would love to see copland actually working with AppleWoirks 5 or something... it'd make a nice productivity machine.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  20:49:37
Go into the themes folder (forget where it is located exactly), and rename the "Z theme" as deault theme, then reboot for a surprise .

Glad to hear I am no thte only one having fun. Do you have a debugger hooked up? I tried getting my performa to work as a debugger to no avail.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  21:07:37
how much RAM does it have?

gee someone should get this running on a hacked mac that has an LCIII built in for debuggering

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  16:41:11
Penguin? What build are you running? I think D11E4 was before all that. I'm in the process of figuring out D7E1, which looks like it might be a later build. I haven't figured out the Debugger yet, either. Btw, for anyone who wants to try it, it looks like Build D11E4 doesn't like non-Apple HDs. It won't boot on any of my FWB formatted drives.

P.S.: This version of Drive Setup it has is really really really cool!

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  19:35:10
I would think that D11 would be newer, seeing as how it's a higher number and doesn't report being of "system 7" vintageness..

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  08:34:20
Why did copland get shitcanned after years of development anyway?

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  17:43:07
quote:

Why did copland get shitcanned after years of development anyway?

Because it turned out to be a project that would never be completely completed.

Btw, i'm having a bit of progress with D7E1. I got it to boot...well, sort of, anyway. I read the readme, and followed the instructions. However, for those who have a copy of D7E1 and want to try it, i'd like to point out an error in the readme: You have to ditch the System 7.1.2 system and keep 7.5.0. Otherwise Copland won't boot, as 7.1.2 needs a System Enabler to boot on the x100s.

Either way, after installing it, i put down the Caps Lock key, and set the Startup disk as ScarecrowVolume, and it booted, well, sort of, anyway. I got a startup screen with a black and gray box with purple text saying, "Loading Copland Micro-Kernel". It then comes up with an empty dialog box of the same colour that was empty, and some yellow text at the top saying "Failed to load main GDevice." Can you guys please help me? WTF is a GDevice? Thanks in advance!

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  17:51:06
quote:

. . . i put down the Caps Lock key, and set the Startup disk as ScarecrowVolume, and it booted, well, sort of, anyway. I got a startup screen with a black and gray box with purple text saying, "Loading Copland Micro-Kernel". It then comes up with an empty dialog box of the same colour that was empty, and some yellow text at the top saying "Failed to load main GDevice." Can you guys please help me? WTF is a GDevice? Thanks in advance!

Gworld display kinda thing? Maybe try running at some basic resolution level, what's the monitors setting now?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  17:56:18
640x480 @ 67 Hz...standard 14" Mac monitor resolution.......maybe it doesn't like my AV card? I have the display hooked into my Apple Power Macintosh AV Card.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  18:19:52
quote:

640x480 @ 67 Hz...standard 14" Mac monitor resolution.......maybe it doesn't like my AV card? I have the display hooked into my Apple Power Macintosh AV Card.

Try mobo video! What's the date on the AV card as compared to the Copland release?

Mac AV crap is a freakin' black hole in terms of compatibility!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  18:32:15
I would try mobo video, but i don't have the HD-45 video adapter thingy. The AV card came out in March 1994, as a part of the Power Mac AV series machines.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  21:17:59
wow... I need to get rhapsody on my 7300... I'd have loads of fun with that...

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.