All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 How did you get "into" Macs?
Author Topic  
Macintrash

Australia
68 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  04:50:11
What was it that got you interested in Macintosh Machines?

For me, it was the first Macintosh machines that I owned, a IIsi, and a IIci. Before i "inherited" those machines from the schools art department, I (shamefully) used to use, mod, and build PC machines.

After about 10 minutes on the IIsi, I was hooked.
The week later, I had 3 new Macs (not New, old freebies), and most of my PC machines were lying at the local tip.

From then on, the only computers that I "worship" the creators of are Apple. PC can go to hell!

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  07:19:43
Im 34 and didnt own a mac untill 2 years ago when I got the retro computing bug.

I like to see how other machines work, and always thaught the mac was better during the win3.x era but everything I needed to use was PC specific at the time.

My first mac was a Q950 because I liked the way the big tower worked. I have since added over 100mb ram, a cdrom + bezel, the workgroup server PDS card, and have purchased a bunch of second hand software of the era for it. I also have all the card bays full of interesting gadgets like a video spigot, Thunder 24 video card, a real nic card, and another I cant remember. I will someday set it up as a A/UX server time permitting.

After that I got the analog video bug so I purchased a PM8500/120 then modded it with 400+mb ram, Sonnet G3-400 with 1mb cache, Acard ata/66 IDEO card, 40x bootable cdrom, 60gb 7200 rpm drive, Ultimate Rez 3d, USB card. nice machine for OS 9

When I got my Videovision PCI with telecast card I discovered I was out of slots so I got a PM7500. This machine runs 7.6.1 has the 604/120 from the 8500 , a 40GB IDE drive with scsi to ide converter and a 68 pin scsi card to run it plus a 4.5 gb uwscsi drive for OS.

And finally I wanted to get the fastest 68k made and got a Q840av. This machine has 128mb ram, full vram, a Radius SpigotProAV card, and want to get a scsi card + 10/100 nubus network card.

As you can tell I like to max out the machines to make them more usefull. I purchased a 17" PC type monitor for display and a 4/600 printer for printing. I also got an external 4/8 GB DAT drive for backup purposes.

Anybody have a 4mb ram expansion for the 4/600 PS printer they dont need let me know.

I also have recently purchased an C64c, C128, Apple IIGs, Amiga 500, Amiga 1200, Atari 1040ST and asociated monitors, drives, software, and gear.

I also have quite a few pc's from the 386 retro box to the Athlon XP I am typing on at the moment.

Each system has its good points and bad points hardware wise and software wise. Its good to explore other systems and see how they work.

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  12:33:45
quote:

What was it that got you interested in Macintosh Machines?

The basics for me, was seeing an LC and Quadra 950 in the early 90s. I liked the design of the cases...

fast forwarding to 1997, I needed to work with macs when I was doing pre-press work, and photoshop up & grabbed me!. that was the start of the real desire to have one. I loved the OS and I loved PS.

A few years later my sis gave me an 8100, which I used as a main machine until the next year when I nabbed the iMac 400 new. Then I started on the danged case-design reminiscing, and started buying up all the oldies, which brings me to... here!

that's the short story. the longer version just contains more macs =).

(43 now... and this iMac is running debian linux, which I'm finding very unusual as a main machine)

dana

Go to Top of Page

Chinook
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  13:02:46
I can remember exactly when I snapped - I'm a bit older, so I got my frist look at a Mac II when I started my first job out of college in 1991. It was amazing. The company had a modern (at the time) Motorola Unix based mini computer that ran Word Perfect and took care of all the accounting and inventory for the firm - a dumb terminal was on every desk. However, we also had one Mac II (AKA The Mac), and I remember everyone would literally line-up to use it to type letters or create reports. Whenever someone had something really important to do the question "Is anyone using The Mac?" would arise. The answer was always "Yes." I can remember many times staying late just to use it. When I (finally) got a chance to use it -that put the hook in me. Latter the owners decided to go all Mac - suddenly I had a MacIIcx on my desk and access to two laserwriter IIg printers - one in the design group one for me and the other two product managers. The designers had IIcis and Customer/Technical service had a mix of LCs and LC30s.

It was a glorious time. We were able to do so much more in a single day simply by using Macs rather than the Minicomputer or evolving PC. It was like adding 40 people to the company without doing anything more than giving everyone a Mac - and no training was required.

I really wanted one for home, but even the IIsi was $3000 at that time - way out of my price range. I didn't finally get a Mac of my own until 1993 - I got a Powerbook 180 4/80 along with a new job, promotion and raise.

Today, I have 21 macs of my own: 6 G3s, 9PPCs, 3 Quadras and 3 O30s
No more waiting in line to use "The Mac" anymore.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  14:28:51
I used macs in school, in 4th grade I LOVED the LCs they had... I liked to make my own "OS" (graphical environment mimicing windows 2k really) in HyperCard and I still enjoy HC for multimedia presentations and other things that PowerPoint just doesn't do right...

I got my first mac, the PowerMac 7300/200 in 5th grade... I loved it. Even the PC monitor I was using with it... I loved OS9 when I got it, I loved AppleWorks5 and I loved... just about everything about that machine...

I recently got it back and it runs BeOS well...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  15:06:17
quote:

Today, I have 21 macs of my own ... No more waiting in line to use "The Mac" anymore.

It sounds like they are waiting in line to be used by you!

Like Chinook, I have a pretty good idea of how I snapped too. My folks always bought Commodores, so after saving up enough money to buy my own computer I choose a 386 and a 486 after that.

That 386 may have been bleeding edge, but I spent a lot of time programming on the Apple IIs at school. In retrospect, I was competing to be the alpha geek. Life went on, I picked up Borland C/C++ 3.1 then Turbo Pascal 7 for the Wintels -- received fantastic grades in computer programming, then did my B.Sc. in Physics. Why? Because Wintel wasn't fun.

After my first year I snagged an excellent job at a thrift store: fixing computers for families in need. Apples, Ataris, Commodores, and such went out for sale. Since the stuff had to be put up for sale for two days before staff could buy it, I put together an uber Apple II and jacked up the price real high. Within six months, I decided that the 486 was too expensive to keep running and sold it (probably for what I paid for the Apple II). The spring semester of 1998 was completed on an 8-bit micro. Not bad for a sciences programme.

Then my aunt came out to visit. She *had* to buy me something before leaving so my innocent glance at a Mac SE (the first Mac I had seen in five years) rapidly turned into my first Mac. Fortunately my mother and I were there so the seller was talked down to 1/3rd of the price. It came with System 6, HyperCard, MYOB, and Holobyte Tetris (great implementation, BTW). Within a month I found a clearance copy of ClarisWorks v1 and was hooked up to the Internet. By this point, I was stunned.

This machine was better than my 486. By some good by decisions and a great deal of good fortune I was able to carry over a lot of hardware from my 486: CD-ROM, SyQuest, and Zip drives; plus my PostScript printer. In otherwords, I was setup from day one and what I saw impressed me: printing was faster, the software was faster (I wasn't using processor intensive software), an entire system could fit on a Zip disk, and Apple provided the system software free of cost. But the lean and utilitarian ClarisWorks is what sold me on the Macintosh. It felt like using AppleWorks (on the Apple II), only better!

By this point I was scavanging the net to see what it could do. The main shortfall was on programming environments. Everything seemed to require a 68030 -- then I discovered the SE/30 and fell in love with that -- then I discovered the IIci and portrait displays and fell in love with that -- then I discovered the Quadra 950 and fell in love with that. I have seen, and own, many other machines: an iMac, a 7100, a 6100, a 660AV, a IIfx, and original Macintosh, even a souped up Colour Classic. None of them feel as interesting nor as important as the "milestone" systems I noted above. The milestone machines are important on a personal level because they outline my understanding of the Macintosh. Then again, I could have stopped at any one of those points and be just as happy since they are all good machines. Just like the Apple IIe was a good machine.

And if you're wondering where I snapped: it was with the SE!

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  16:59:08
Since the late 70s, I'd been using various skanky timesharing systems over hideous TTY/modem setups (110 baud anyone?). I'd also been using HP calculators for various programming tasks (first an HP-25, then an HP-41C). But I did not have a home computer, although various friends in high school and college had had them (various machines from Kaypro, Osborne, Kim-1, Cromemco, Commodore PET, Trash 80, etc.). For too many years I was an underpaid and then newly married college student that could not afford my own computer.

Then one day I walked into the local university microcomputer center and discovered the recently introduced Mac 128k that they sold through Apple's educational discount program. I loved that machine so much that I dragged my wife in there to look at it and convince her that we really really really really needed it. I actually think that MacPaint cliched the sale even though neither of us needed anything for graphic arts. We took the money that we had planned to use for a spring break trip to Mexico and spent it on a 128k with an Imagewriter.

The Mac 128k served us well for a number years, both in school and with work-related projects. I still remember writing BASIC code for plots for some optical designs, creating forms for my wife's job at IBM, using Resedit to hack the dialog boxes, sketching out ideas for solar/alternative energy systems, and using rubbing alcohol to rejuvenate fading Imagewriter ribbons. Since we bought that new 128k, we have accumulated a modest, but ever growing collection of new and "preowned" Macs.

AHHHH! Good Times!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  18:37:58
For me, it really comes down to my first computer. It was an Apple //c that I bought for $1200.00 when I was 12. It was shortly after that when I saw my first Mac at a neighbors down the road who worked at the Apple Lab store that was in Waterford, CT. I also worked, (under-the-table of course, I was only 12 when I started there),for an entertainment company that had a Macintosh network around the same time. My Jr. High and High School still had all Apple //e's. I think it was my Sophomore year that we added a Mac Lab ( of Mac +'s I think). I had already spent an extensive time using them at my old job so I was drafted to help the majority of the staff get comfortable with them. I also think this was to help keep me out of trouble somewhat, but I didn't really care. Then my father spent over $4000.00 on a Mac SE30 when it came out and I would use that at his Sign Shop.
All in all, I just grew up with them and didn't really ever use anything else until years later at various jobs. I can't see any reason why'd I'd want to either.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

Chinook
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  20:16:01
quote:

Pink Floyd, right? I've been rolling that line over and over in my mind, but still can't get the song - probably a side effect of what I was doing when I listened to a lot of Floyd....

Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  09:14:17
I got into macs with my Dad's Classic. Played Tetris on it.

That is all.

I got out of Macs because of their outrageous pricing.

:/

_r
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  17:42:59
I got into Macs in Grade 3 when our teacher got a brand new LCII for the classroom, which i was forced onto. I was a bit resistant to the forcing, but after a few minutes, i was hooked. We then got an LCIII at home, which i still have today, and it really started.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Chinook
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  20:52:40
quote:

I got out of Macs because of their outrageous pricing.

It took me almost three years to go from using a Mac to owning a Mac (as an adult with a $35K HHI in 1991) simply because of the pricing. Had it not been for a signing bonus I never would have bought that PB 180. It was something like $8500 and, believe it or not, they were in such demand that dealers couldn't even get them.

How things have changed...

As a side note: I gave that PB to a friend who went to RSM Erasmus in Rotterdam. He gave it to a Dutch student on graduation - I think he threw the keyboard and mouse from his HP into the Nieuwe Maas after too many beers. I'm glad it didn't meet that fate.

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  22:17:56
For me, it started way back when...

Every once in a while, my Dad would talk me to work with him on the weekends when he had extra work to do, so I could play around on the computers. Sometimes he had stuff for me to do (I installed System 7.1 on a bunch of IIfx's when I was 9 years old), sometimes he let me play around with Photoshop 3 or play some games (Maelstrom).

I first really got started in 6th grade after a trip to the school computer lab. All the LC's in the lab had the screen saver set to Starry Night. Having prior experience with After Dark, I changed the preference to something I liked a little more (Satori). After I left, the teacher noticed, and tracked me down to find out how I knew how to do that. I explained to him that I knew a little about Macs, and I knew my way around system stuff like screen savers. He asked if I'd like a job as a volunteer turing my lunch period, which I promptly accepted.

Through a bit of research on my own (reading back issues of MacUser magazine), I started to know a bit more about the Macs themselves, and how to fix them. By the time of my 8th grade year, I was well known thought my school for onsite technical support with the computers. I also got my first computer at that point, my Commodore 64.

9th grade year... move up to the Freshman Center (9th grade only building). Through recommendations from the Middle School Computer Lab teacher, I got a volunteer job at that computer lab, and quickly took on the technical support jobs there. At the end of that year, my house got it's first Mac, the Quadra 800.

10th grade moved me into the main High School, where again through recommendations I got a job at the computer lab, and now being payed for it. I became friends with a lot of teachers in the HS, being called upon a lot for onsite technical support. I also purchased my first Mac, the Powerbook 145.

At the end of the 11th grade, I was recommended to work at the Instructional Media Center, alongside the district wide technical support team. During that summer, I made some good money, got some great experience in Wide Area Networking, and modern Macs (601-604, G3, G4). I also got to take home some old decommissioned Macs to use and learn (Mac Plus, 2 Mac SE, Mac Classic).

That August, one week after I finished my summer job at IMC, I bought my G3/350 B&W.

The following summer, I went back to IMC to continue my job, and I got a few more scores (LC, LC III, 3x Power Mac 5260) before heading off to college. Between that point, and today, I now have five times the number of Macs, half in some sort of semi-active state.

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

31 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  05:41:20
quote:

quote:

Pink Floyd, right? I've been rolling that line over and over in my mind, but still can't get the song - probably a side effect of what I was doing when I listened to a lot of Floyd....

4th song on the "Momentary Lapse of Reason" album. The song is "One Slip", but the album title came from it as well. I use a different clip for my quote at any of the forums I go to.

Stryders Community

Chinook
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  18:50:34
quote:

quote:

quote:

4th song on the "Momentary Lapse of Reason" album. The song is "One Slip", but the album title came from it as well. I use a different clip for my quote at any of the forums I go to.

Stryders Community

Come and check it out.

Ah Yes - it's all coming back to me now. Probably watched that live concert about 80 times, I can still see and hear those oars going in and out of the water. Excellent choice.

Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  21:06:38

Stryders Community

Macsimumpower
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2003 :  19:06:13
How did I get "into" Macs?

I HATED Macs for the Longest time (so I thought). I hated them because everybody at my mother's work (where I hung around often to play with their hundreds of PCs) told me they were horrible machines.

My parents bought our first PC in 1986. We've been there since the beginning. Between that time, and the time I saw my first Mac, over 30 PCs passed through our house.

Sometime in the summer of 99 I went to my father to one of his old friend's houses. He was in the video and audio business. That was the first time I had ever actually seen a Macintosh. Of course I looked down upon it. Afterall, I had just gotten my snazzy new Compaq Presario 5280. But the machiens stuck in my mind. My Dad wanted to get a computer for his house, and he mentioned an iMac. I almost flipped out. Man I regret that. A year after that he ended up buying a Presario 7470 (what huge pieces of junk, both of those Presarios no longer work).

Fast forward to the fall of 2000. I was starting my sophomore year in high school. My entire school had PCs. I was enrolled in second hour computer math class. YAY. I was dumbfounded to see 32 PowerMac 7200/120s staring at me, as well as a few 6500/250s on the teacher's desk, and one 8100/80. I remember making some kind of remark - something to the extend of crapintosh something or other.

Within two months I bought my first mac.

A IIsi, off of a kid who was also in the class that happened to be into macs (like the exact opposite of me at the time). I also got a 17" Emachines display. By that winter, for christmas, I asked for an Indigo Blue iBook 366.

So began my absolute and utter fascination with Apple and Macs. I know proudly own 17 Macs. My dad has switched. He uses a 6100/66 on loan from me. I just recently got my mom to switch (who for 16 years worked on PCs at a PC software company). She now uses a 17" PowerBook G4.

So yeah, thats my story.

Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2003 :  19:57:00
Backstory...

Calculators, LED watches, electronics, Computers. The first computer was a Timex/Sinclair. As money was an issue, I followed the path of Commodore. Apples had a ][ after them and lived at school. Neat machines, but who had that type of money. When the 68000 chip came out, Byte had reviews of the machines to use it. My lust was the Amiga. Work was IBM. The company got me a brand new PS/2 Model 80.

Years of working with wintel, watching the evolution of M$. Getting to the point of life where I could collect a few computers. I want to own all the significant computers in history. (At least starting from the late 70s) A mac has to be on the list. Working computers are cool, dead ones are junk. (At best they are parts to make working computers) So, to own significant Macs means setting them up and using them. Using them means learning what everyone else knew years before me. People pay more for Macs because they get more. Right now, I have two favorite macs. My main workstation: Quicksilver 867 Superdrive, 22" Cinema Display. SE/30 16MB System 6.0.8. System 6 is the most fantasic OS I have ever used! I spend a lot of time on the quicksilver, but the rest is on System 6. The speed of the SE/30 and System 6 is unreal. I wish todays computers could be that efficient. I do use System 6 more than the SE/30 because that is too easy. System 6 doesn't need that much power. 6 on a Classic works well. Now that is great stuff.

Windows? I support it for a living, why would I want it at home?

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2003 :  20:55:10
quote:
Windows? I support it for a living, why would I want it at home

I LOVE IT!!!!!
That is the coolest thing I've heard here for awhile

Commodore64
Starting Member

Sweden
47 Posts
Posted - 04 May 2003 :  08:35:09
We had 2 pc machines in our house but the hardware in those decided that it did not want to be used anymore any broke.
After that we bought a nice Performa 450 when they first came out. Used that machine until 1998 i think.

------------
Close the world, txEn eht nepO
68k Macs Liberated: 10Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 04 May 2003 :  14:14:59
Theres nothing wrong with pc's, I have 4 under my desk at the moment.

Build your own PC's with quality parts so they dont break after the 1 year warranty like prebuilt dell/hp/gateway/misc crap.

I have to admit the old 68k and PM boxes from apple are built pretty well (Q840/PM8500 cases suck). I also heard early imacs are built crappy and die early.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 04 May 2003 :  21:34:54
Most PCs I've had were pretty good... just configured and used wrongfully... the thing I know is that a PC can work well if you treat it right...

"every computer was fast at one time - It just needs the right software"

Commodore64
Starting Member

Sweden
47 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  16:15:19
quote:
Theres nothing wrong with pc's, I have 4 under my desk at the moment.

I have nothing against pc's. Have 4 pc's running right now.
Im actually quite attached to the machine with a BP6 mobo and dual celery sticks in it

quote:
Build your own PC's with quality parts so they dont break after the 1 year warranty like prebuilt dell/hp/gateway/misc crap.

Not my money, not my choice.
One of them was a IBM PS/1 (or PS/2) i think.

------------
Close the world, txEn eht nepO
68k Macs Liberated: 10Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2003 :  20:21:37
I had a mac LC i used for almost everyday for 10 years I know EVERYTHING about it!

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2003 :  22:26:54
quote:

I had a mac LC i used for almost everyday for 10 years I know EVERYTHING about it!

-danny
-------
68k Macs Liberated: 3

You mean have, right? Isn't that the machine in your closet?

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2003 :  05:29:53
I stand corrected

Edited by - catsdorule on 12 May 2003 05:30:48Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2003 :  11:53:55
You need to be corrected about your own macs!!!!

You own few enough of them that you know all about each of them and you still need to be corrected eh

Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2003 :  13:09:19
I think this topic has come up before... oh well here we go.

My dad got into the graphics design business when they were switching over from painting/drawing to doing most if not all of the work on Macs. He bought an LC (cant remember which one, cause I was in 2nd grade at the time) and I used to go and after his work was finished, play on the Lc. I played, Loom, Space Quest, King's Quest, Armor Alley, Indiana Jones, Specter, and Dark Queen of Krynn. Some of these with his help. Then, as time went on I got my own Macs, and use them to this day.

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2003 :  14:30:37
quote:

You need to be corrected about your own macs!!!!

You own few enough of them that you know all about each of them and you still need to be corrected eh

Official MLA TourGuide

Its a simple typo cory

-danny
-------

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2003 :  17:12:20
BUT IT'S FUN!!!!!!

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 May 2003 :  19:43:55
quote:

BUT IT'S FUN!!!!!!

Official MLA TourGuide

Yeah!

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2003 :  19:31:53
i got into macs when my parents bought me one in 1994... its my Performa 578 aka "Octavian II" which is now my main 68k gaming machine

_
Subcommander, Anti-Fritter Special Task Force.
Apple ///'s Liberated: 65498
http://www.kevcave.tk (my Forum)
...because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2003 :  20:31:53
I thought the 578 was Optimus?

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 14 May 2003 :  19:02:43
it was...

but then i renamed all my computers "Octavian" just because its a cool name... and Octavian is not too different from Optimus...

_
Subcommander, Anti-Fritter Special Task Force.
Apple ///'s Liberated: 76148
http://www.kevcave.tk (my Forum)
...because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Go to Top of Page

Jasoco
Starting Member

USA
41 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  21:18:30
Long story short.

Bought SE and Classic II off eBay in 2000. Compared the OS to Windows 98. Switched 3 months later.

::::..:....:::.::.:..::.:....:.......
Please! No more weasels! I'm full...Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  21:29:31
Octavian is a cool name but I generally try to keep the ranaming of computers to a minimum.... the only exception is a name that kinda floats between all the computers... "Intrikit Weaver" whatever computer is myu server has this name.

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  23:29:17
quote:

it was...

but then i renamed all my computers "Octavian" just because its a cool name... and Octavian is not too different from Optimus...

What in the world happened to giving your comps individual names?

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2003 :  06:07:54
I personally think naming computers is wierd but naming servers is another thing all together.

-danny
-------

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2003 :  07:54:32
What's so weird about naming computers? p

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2003 :  20:28:40
heh... I always like to name my computers....

I used to not name them.... but instead I referred to them by who I got it from....

"courtney's PC" - Gateway 286
"Aunt Becky's PC" - homebuilt 386
"Dad's Work's Mac" - the 7300 first time I owned it... ('nother long story)

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 May 2003 :  20:45:27
Same here.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Topic is 2 Pages Long:
  1  2

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.