All Forums
 PowerBook
 PB 170 on Ethernet
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  20:24:46
Is it possible? Any awy to 'add' ethernet? any ideas? im sooo lost with 68k books. Ok someone please give me a place to start. Thanks.

~The Penguin

|Captain, Intelligence Operations|
|Macs liberated: 3|
|Windoze users converted: 2|

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  20:28:19
quote:

Is it possible? Any awy to 'add' ethernet? any ideas? im sooo lost with 68k books. Ok someone please give me a place to start. Thanks.

search: Asante Micro EN/SC, I never got mine up and running, but I didn't try all that hard. I had just posted this and other links into a new thread, so the bookmark was handy.
http://www.linkclub.or.jp/~maakun/duosdock/asantedocks.html
I had mine out today and was looking up doc's on how to get it to work It was on clearance at J&R, box was open, so I'm not SURE that the one I have works at all. I have had very good results with the Asante Localtalk bridge with computers/pb's and printers attached to my 10bt hub.
jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 21 Jan 2002 20:42:54Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  19:20:16
Is there any way to route through another machine? This was just another option I thought of. Thanks jt for the link. Looks promising, but i dont have time/money to fiddle...*insert scary music*......for now.....

~The Penguin

There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  20:56:13
You could try to get ahold of a LocalTalk to Ethernet converter. They are much more expensive though.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  15:30:12
Blech! Money is a big problem for a kid like me that cant even get a job.....grrrrr
What about the localtalk bridge on another (newer with enet) mac? or am i just being too cheap and crazily idea-ized?

~The Penguin

P.S.- Least i get a bonus for my kool words...hehe

There is only one path and that is the path that you take, but you can take more than one path.
68k.torpedobird.com <-- Hotline ServerGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  18:27:43
quote:

Blech! Money is a big problem for a kid like me that cant even get a job.....grrrrr
What about the localtalk bridge on another (newer with enet) mac? or am i just being too cheap and crazily idea-ized?

Get the get the localtalk bridge, you can hook several devices like my PB100, SE and LWIInt, to one 10bT Mac with a crossover cable, when you get more 10bT Macs/device, then get a hub (with an uplink for a DSL modem/whatever). That's a low-cost strategy that would work for me, if you NEED to surf with the 170, Farallon (new name now?) told me the localtalk converter was very good (fast/not much slower than the SCSI adapter, but the memory is kinda dim) way to network my 100. Head over to the network setup thread and ask marchie.
jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  21:47:53
a LocalTalk -> RJ-45 ethernet adapter would be as slow as my Performa 6200 running Mac OS 8.5 with 40mb of RAM (bleh!)

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  08:12:50
What about a SCSI-Ethernet converter?

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  08:29:16
I have a localtalk to ethernet bridge and it is as slow as mud. It takes about two minutes to copy a 1 megabyte file. I am actually using a Farralon Iprint adapter, it was designed to let Imacs use old localtalk printers, but you can use it for networking too. I have seem them for pretty cheap, a friend of mine bought one for 20 dollars.

I may be wrong on this but wasn't there an internal ethernet card you could get for the 170 that replaced the modem?

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  20:39:25
To my knowledge, there is no such card for that spot.

I have one of those SCSI->Ethernet bridges, and from experience, I would have to say they work poorly unless you are running System 7.1 or better. It adds an extention to the mix too, which can cause conflicts sometimes.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.