Lounge
 I don't know how to fix it:-( 7600/132 internet ac
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  03:31:19
I upgraded the memory on my Powermac,

Now my internet access isn't working properly.

I upgraded & 3 times my computer wouldn't boot, then it booted, then it wouldn't boot. I installed os 8.1 & my computer has been booting.

I connect to the internet, but cannot retrieve my email, being presented with the message"Netscape is unable to locate the server: pophost1.pgen.net. The server does not have a DNS entry check the server name in the location(URL) and try again."

Also I can load internet pages, but this too is having difficulties, I can get onto ebay, but then when I search I get my search but then I click to view an item but it just says trying to connect, but dosn't do anything. I can browse about 3 pages before my computer starts showing these symptoms.

I am typing this from my 840av, which although cannot recieve email either it is having alot more success at browsing.

with it being easter I can't phone my isp till Tuesday, biut have sent them a message via thier website.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"

Chinook
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  13:49:21
Check your newly installed RAM. Remove the chips you installed and install them one at a time into different slots. Try to say away from the slots nearest the processor card (I only say that out of personal experience - but it may help).

Boot and see if you have any boot problems. Do this with each chip adding another once you're sure the first chip is fine - no errors.

If you're interleaving the new chips make sure they are identical in all respects (not just the capacity of the DIMM). Also, use your thumb and index finger on opposite ends of the DIMM after you installed it to give it one final push and make sure it's in all the way and aligned properly.

The email problem may be at the server level, the web problem could be related to your 8.1 installation if your 840 is fine. I don't know, but check your settings. The real issue I see is that you had boot problems once you installed new ram, you reinstalled the system sw to correct it, but it looks like the problem was with the RAM not the software.

I'm out for Easter dinner now, but I'll check back later tonight.

Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  14:05:35
Make sure you have it set up properly for finding DNS entries as well. A lot of my macs freak when I forget DNS server addies

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  14:24:22
yeah... make sure the DNS is right...

I freaked when we switched ISPs and dad woudln't let me get the DNS addy from his PC because "that's the one for the old ISP"

"it's a dynamic IP, they don't give you a permanent one"

I hated those few days when I was without internet...

I use the dns 4.2.2.1

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  18:42:49
If you don't know what your ISP's DNS servers' IP addresses are, then just use 10.1.254.1 and 10.1.254.2. I think this makes it look for the DNS servers automatically or something.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III, FPU, 20/80/enet, 7.5.5, Mail Server

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 1G/512k L2, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.