Lounge
 Burning OS 9
Author Topic  
The Czar
Starting Member

Canada
28 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  08:48:59
I bought OS 9 a while back, and I made a .IMG copy of it on my PC (just in case I lost the CD, damaged it, etc.) and now I can't find the bloody CD. I tried to burn the .IMG to a CD using Nero under XP, but I can't get the Mac to recognize it. My 7100 keeps telling me that the disk is unreadable. I made a copy of my OS 8.5 CD the same way, and Nero did a very nice job of it. When I import the .IMG file, it asks me what type of image I'm using. I can choose Data Mode 1, Data Mode 2, Audio or HFS. I choose HFS, however, I'm wondering if I should be doing that. Also, it asks me for the block size in bytes, and I leave it at the default 2048, but it then comes back and tells me that it's incorrect and asks if I want to correct the error, or ignore it. I choose correct, but should I?

I'm totally confused here. If anyone can shed any light on what I'm not doing right, it would be most appreciated.

The Czar

Real Men Use 68k

SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  14:33:23
Well your first problem is that your using a PeeCee.
I'm not sure about this but I think that the OS 9 CD is in HFS+ format.
Good luck.
SM

I like it slow

Edited by - SlowMac on 18 Apr 2003 14:34:02Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  15:15:23
I've burned from PC before. You can even burn Toast images from PC. I would burn from Mac, but I don't have a burner to work with the Mac.

Here's my 2 cents:
It's possible that the image became corruped sitting on your hard
drive. I've had this happen before. Sometimes I think it has something to do with cheap defragmentation software.

But before you delete the image file, you might want to also try to just click ok when it asks you for the mode and block size without changing anything and leaving it at the defaults. I think it should default at Data Mode 1, block size of 2048. Then when it says the block size is incorrect, tell it _NOT_ to correct the error. Otherwise Nero tries to adjust the image to what it thinks is the best, and thus screws around with the Mac formatting becuase Nero doesn't know how to work correctly with the Mac format.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then it's a corrupt image file and you have to look harder for you CD.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III, FPU, 20/80/enet, 7.5.5, Mail Server

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 1G/512k L2, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIe

Edited by - The Lightning Stalker on 18 Apr 2003 15:17:26Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  16:35:34
I think I had a simillar problem recently, but I just made a new image using toast rather than solve it.

However I ended up with an unblessed, PC format copy of OS 9. You could try the following.

Burn disc image anyway.
Find old crappy 1 gig'ish HD
Format HD
Copy the entire contents of the CD to the HD
Startup using the new HD
Connect HD to machine you want to run installer on.

Obviously this may not all be possible depeninde on what drives you have lying around but it's all I can think of

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.