68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 What to do with too much time and a broken heart?
Author Topic  
SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2003 :  22:42:54
Well, as all good things must, my relationship with Courtney (the oft-mentioned girlfriend) has come to an end, as of this past friday. She pretty much dumped me to be with this older (she's 21, he's 33) guy (a teacher at our college) she's known for a few years. He'd been in a serious relationship for a while, but he recently got out of it and started worming his way into Courtney's life, and here I am now, alone, sad, angry and, uh, did I mention alone? After nearly a year together, I thought things were going pretty good, all-in-all. Sure, we hit some rough patches, but we'd always managed to work through them, at least until this. I feel so betrayed. She keeps telling me how much she still loves and cares for me, but she didn't even wait a full day after dumping me before jumping in the sack with this other guy. How the hell am I supposed to feel about that? Plus, she keeps calling me, IM'ing me, emailing me, etc. During one of our chats a couple of days ago, she started sharing waaaaaaaaaay more info about her new sex life then I wanted to know, and then acted really supprised when I was upset/hurt/angry. "Are you mad at me? What's wrong?!". Gee, lemme spell it out for ya... sigh.
Sorry for venting here, but it's pretty much the first time I've come out of a serious relationship (she was my first, in just about every sense), and I'm just not sure what to do with myself anymore. I've all but forgotten how to be 'single', and it's really freaking me out. Sure, it's nice to have more time for internet/Mac-hacking/videogames/etc., but I just don't ever remember feeling so alone. There's a big smoking void where my heart used to be, and I just don't know how to fill it.
I'm sure many of you have been through something like this- any suggestions would be great...
Okay, off to play some more "Dark Cloud 2"... sigh.
Huxley <not feeling much like a 'SpaceBoy' right now>

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2003 :  22:55:41
You could spend your spare time making and administrating Windows NT domains!

it's great fun and takes lots of time...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2003 :  23:05:09
quote:

. . . she keeps calling me, IM'ing me, emailing me, etc. During one of our chats a couple of days ago, she started sharing waaaaaaaaaay more info about her new sex life then I wanted to know, and then acted really supprised when I was upset/hurt/angry. "Are you mad at me? What's wrong?!". Gee, lemme spell it out for ya... sigh.

Don't bother spelling it out, just tell her to get completely out the picture. If she says "lets be friends" tell her you really just want to be strangers.

I feel for you, after over twenty years of marriage and getting dumped, I'm now seeing my old girlfriend from college . . . go figure! :rolleyes:

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  00:13:08
Glayven... I hope it all goes alright for you in the future...

with all the problems other people have with thieir 'long term relationships' I think I'll just marry my TiBookk or something... my Ti won't want to break up withme...

sadly... I have enough human emotions in me NOT to do that...
iBet it's legal somewhere though!

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  02:30:29
The requseted answer: Watch the Matrix Reloaded Final Theatrical Trailer.

http://progressive1.stream.aol.com/wb/gl/wbonline/progressive/thematrix/us/med/trailer_final_1000_dl.zip

fe0r.

_r
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  05:23:43
I feel for ya man. I just had an end to a year and a half with mi chica, and there is such an akward time of alone and strangeness, but have no fear, it won't stay around for too long. Trash is right though, push her out of the picture for atleast the time being. Dragging through it with her will make it harder.

As for your time, I have found the best way to just plain go out, have fun, and waste a LOT of time is to shoot your own movies. Of course this requires a video camera, so if you are lacking that...well....find someone with one!!

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  08:37:34
quote:
As for your time, I have found the best way to just plain go out, have fun, and waste a LOT of time is to shoot your own movies. Of course this requires a video camera, so if you are lacking that...well....find someone with one!!

It's funny you should mention that, since I just got a videocamera yesterday! I'd loaned my sister some dough a while back, and as a thank-you, she gave me her old Sony Hi8 camera! She's since upgraded to MiniDV, so the Sony was just collecting dust... Anyway, playing with that is going to be one of the better distractions over the next few days.... or weeks.... or months..... or years......... or however long it takes for me to feel human again.

quote:
The requseted answer: Watch the Matrix Reloaded Final Theatrical Trailer.

Been there, done that! Actually, in addition to watching the trailer compulsively, I also rigged my TiBook up to the huge projector and showed two of the "Animatrix" shorts to my Film Crit. class... the response was very positive...

quote:
If she says "lets be friends"...

That's actually been the theme of most of her calls/IM's/emails. I finally told her that the way I see it, she took the absolute best I had to give for nearly a year and threw it away the first second she had a chance to be with this other guy-- that's the kind of 'friend' I don't need... but god does it hurt...

Again, thanks for the (digital) shoulders to cry on, folks. I really appreciate it!
Huxley

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  09:18:12
Hang in there dude, went through something similar, but not as bad as you recently... I feel for ya...

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  09:36:44
quote:

quote:
If she says "lets be friends"...

That's actually been the theme of most of her calls/IM's/emails. I finally told her that the way I see it, she took the absolute best I had to give for nearly a year and threw it away the first second she had a chance to be with this other guy-- that's the kind of 'friend' I don't need... but god does it hurt...

Check "Jimmy the Bartender's Guide to Life" out of the library. (A Men's Health Book) or spend $10 on it, it'd be a GREAT investment . . . trust me!

excerpt:

quote:

Tell her that you aren't friends; you're kaput lovers. Big difference there . . .

. . . it is perfectly all right to tell somebody who reached down your throat and did a heart-ectomy on you that you don't have one shred of interest in being her pal, thanks.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Apr 2003 09:38:49Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  14:25:34
Sounds like she's trying to hold on to you in case the relationship with this other guy doesn't work out.

There's something wrong with her in the first place if she's going out with a guy that's 12 years older than her.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III, FPU, 20/80/enet, 7.5.5, Mail Server

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 1G/512k L2, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

Eft37

USA
193 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  14:54:09
Usually takes @ 6 months to get over it to a point that when you see her it won't burn so bad, but if you see her before that 6 months has passed, it resets the timeclock.
Look around to see which girl in your social circle has been pining after you the whole year you were unavailable and give that a shot.
Remember my rule:
people are stupid

-Tim

Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  15:33:04
Find a Mac User or other interest group in your area attended by females, and get to know them. Forgot the GF. If she'd dump you once for an older guy, even if you got back together, she'd do it again.

/Mr Lynn

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didnt have a space program.
--Larry NivenGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  23:29:20
hehehe... If you really want to waste alot of time...

Make edits on your tape using multiple VCRs... (rearranging things and etc)

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  10:49:28
quote:
Make edits on your tape using multiple VCRs... (rearranging things and etc)

Ummm.... thanks, but no.
:-)
Huxley

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  10:52:59
Okay, well, it's been a week since this all came down around my ears, and now I'm starting to think it might be nice to meet some new people...
So, where does a straight, disease-free, over-21, nice regular guy who doesn't like bars or raves go to meet girls?
Any tips?
Thanks,
Huxley

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"

Eft37

USA
193 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  11:05:00
Laugh all you want, but I met my wife online at http://www.matchmaker.com we dated for 3 years and got married in October. She only lived an hour away from me.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  14:05:04
I wouldn't laugh... I'd say that you're wildly lucky in some ways...
Being only 15, I also don't know about that kind of stuff anyway though...

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  18:22:57
Gah, I'm sorry to hear about that dude. The exact same thing happened to me last year, and you know what the best thing was for me to do? I know that this is hard, but the best thing for me to do was to forget about my ex, as soon after, she got really really weird.Either way, i hope you find someone!

Good luck!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance. - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  19:53:15
Good advice from all... I haven't been in a "going out for 3 years just got dumped" but I certainly hope that this low point in your life gets better.

2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.