All Forums
 Lounge
 More strange hardware
Author Topic  
SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  16:48:44
It's time once again to play name that hardware. Here is another piece of hardware that I got in a box of stuff and have no idea what it is. It's made by Microtek the name on the front of it is MS-SCSI/G. The model number on the back says MS-SCSI/G as well. I've had no luck with the Microtek website on this. To see images of this go to my website:

http://www.slowmac.no-ip.com

To make this interesting the first person to post to this thread telling me what it is with proof gets one free item in my post on the trading post forum. Since I'm broke you will still have to pay for shipping though. Good luck!
SM

I like it slow

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  17:06:42
It looks like it might be a SCSI Adaptor for a Microtek scanner see:

http://www.mostang.com/mail-archive/sane-devel/1999-06/0085.html

Google is great!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  17:17:34
G4from128k:

Great link! unfortunately it still doesn't quite clear up what it is or what it can do. I'm going to say that the game is still open. If no one else can give me a better info/link I will declare you the winner. So keep looking. :)

I like it slowGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  17:32:35
It sounded like it interfaced a Microtek MSF-300Z Colour Scanner to SCSI. The scanner seems like it used a non-standard 25-pin cable and this box let one connect the unit to a Mac via SCSI.

From the reply to the previous URL, see:
http://www.mostang.com/mail-archive/sane-devel/1999-06/0095.html

quote:
That is a very old scanner you have there. It used a proprietary SCSI
interface for the PC called the MS-PCY card. It connected using what
Microtek called a PCX cable. It was a DB-25 serial cable with all pins
active.

Thus, if you find a Microtek MSF-300Z Scanner, this box will let you use it on a Mac.

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  17:50:07
Ok I'll accept your answer. Unless there is someone out there who disagrees, but I think your right. This piece of hardware was in a bin with a Microtek ScanMaker III scanner.

Please email me with what you would like off my list (If there is anything on there you like) and your zip code and I will let you know how much shipping will cost. If there isn't anything on my list that you want you can give the prize to someone else on this board.

Congratulations
SM

traviskrall@yadtel.net

SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  18:03:54
Also everyone keep your eye on the trading post forum. I'll be going to the auction tomorrow. So that means more great Mac stuff for sale!!!
SM

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  21:03:25
cool! I wish I could go to a public auction...

Bring me back a WorkGroupServer!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2003 :  21:08:32
When a product has an FCC ID, you can usually get information from fcc.gov ... no new information in this case though.

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2003 :  23:01:42
hehehe... I tried doing that with an ethernet card... so I could tell NT what it was looking for...

Intel is so disorganized at somethings... it was the wrong # of digits IIRC

SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  09:41:51
II2II:
Wow thanks for the info I didn't think about that.

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  14:19:34
quote:

Ok I'll accept your answer. Unless there is someone out there who disagrees, but I think your right. This piece of hardware was in a bin with a Microtek ScanMaker III scanner.

Please email me with what you would like off my list (If there is anything on there you like) and your zip code and I will let you know how much shipping will cost. If there isn't anything on my list that you want you can give the prize to someone else on this board.

Congratulations

Yipeee, I won!

Unfortunately, all I really want at the moment is a 25 MHz 68882 FPU in the PLCC-style package (its the small flat style with the electrical contacts around the outside edges). If you don't have one of those, then you can give the prize to Trash80toG-4 because he would have known the answer too.

Thanks!

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  14:42:43
quote:

Unfortunately, all I really want at the moment is a 25 MHz 68882 FPU in the PLCC-style package (its the small flat style with the electrical contacts around the outside edges).

Is this FPU something that can be taken off another logic board? The style you need plugs into a socket not one that needs to be soldered on? What computer is this for or is it a project?

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  15:33:33
quote:
Is this FPU something that can be taken off another logic board? The style you need plugs into a socket not one that needs to be soldered on? What computer is this for or is it a project?

Yes, it plugs into a square trough-like socket in a logic board -- the 1 inch square chip actually sits inside the socket, flush with the top of the socket because the contacts are all around the edge. Usually it looks like a square black chip with a brown plastic ring around it. Thus, it is not like the PGA (pin grid array) chip style that has all the pins on the underside and that sits on top of the carrier.

To my knowledge, this style FPU chip was optional on the Classic series, the LC III, the Performa 600, and maybe others. I don't know if the PLCC-style FPU chip was standard on any Macs.

I want to put the FPU in my Outbound Notebook (a 68k Mac clone that competed with the early Powerbooks). I use an old spreadsheet-like program called Trapeze which the FPU accelerates immeasurably.

Cheers,

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  15:43:09
quote:

To my knowledge, this style FPU chip was optional on the Classic series, the LC III, the Performa 600, and maybe others. I don't know if the PLCC-style FPU chip was standard on any Macs

A 33MHz PLCC FPU was optional equipment for the original DuoDock, check out old stock at any Mac dealers online, in your area and ask questions of sellers on eBay auctions!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.s.Check the specs on that PLCC package, the SMT 68882 in my Dock II looks like it would probably fit the socket in the Dock I if I desoldered it and bent the crap out of the pins!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Apr 2003 15:50:28Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  16:10:02
quote:
A 33MHz PLCC FPU was optional equipment for the original DuoDock, check out old stock at any Mac dealers online, in your area and ask questions of sellers on eBay auctions!

That would be a great suggestion if I weren't such a penny-pinching tightwad. The thought of paying more than a buck for that chip appalls me because I only paid $3 for the whole computer.

Cheers,

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  19:18:35
Ya I know what your talking about now. I bought on for my Performa 550 years ago. I think I payed over $70 for it at the time. Not sure. I still have the 550 but it's my first Mac I ever bought so I can't pull it out for you. I remember it going in so tight I thought I was going to break it. I don't think I could pull it out without destroying it or the logic board. I'll keep my eye out for one and let you know. Do you now what other Macs had the optional FPU??

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  22:33:04
hmmGLAYVEN

I believe it was option in the IIsi, most other Mac IIs (the perf 600 = Mac IIvx/vi BTW) and in my IIsi, it's on a riser card.....

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  02:44:08
quote:
I still have the 550 but it's my first Mac I ever bought so I can't pull it out for you. I remember it going in so tight I thought I was going to break it. I don't think I could pull it out without destroying it or the logic board. I'll keep my eye out for one and let you know. Do you now what other Macs had the optional FPU??

To my knowledge, the PLCC-style of FPU chip was optional on the Color Classic II, the LC III, the Performa 600, the DuoDock (thanx jt), and maybe others (sounds like your Performa 550 used one). I don't know if the PLCC-style FPU chip was standard on any Macs, but do know that my old Mac II had the PGA-style FPU chip and the IIcx used a SMT-style (soldered surface mount) version of the 68882.

Have a great weekend,

G4From128k

Edited by - G4from128k on 19 Apr 2003 02:46:34Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  15:27:06
68882/20

I hope you're suitably apalled.

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  15:55:21
hehe

cept you need a special riser card for the IIsi...

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  16:06:00
quote:

Especially, since an FPU really only makes a difference for a very limited set of applications. I wonder how many Mac Users have really tested the relative performance of their favorite apps with and w/o an FPU? I also wonder how many bidders for that FPU realize that they can buy a whole new (old) 68k machine with an FPU for the same or less! OTOH, like so many other things, people desire an FPU in their Mac cuz it is another thing to boast about. What a strange world it si where people pay so much money to max out such inexpensive computers!

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  16:16:29
quote:

quote:

Especially, since an FPU really only makes a difference for a very limited set of applications. I wonder how many Mac Users have really tested the relative performance of their favorite apps with and w/o an FPU?

LOL! I have . . . the traveling salesman routines for figuring out the cut order of nested outlines for vinyl films and conversion of postscript graphics into polyline based stepper motor plotter movements takes . . . well . . . for freakin'EVER without FPU support.

The Rocket 33 ran the optimized 040/FPU code appreciably faster than the 400 MHz G3 card in the 6360 could run it in emulation.

I haven't tested it against the G4/466 tho . . . :rolleyes:

jt .

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  16:27:28
harhar!

does that mean we all need to become travelling salesmen? selling FPUs for 68k?

ooOOoo

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  17:22:32
quote:

quote:

Especially, since an FPU really only makes a difference for a very limited set of applications. I wonder how many Mac Users have really tested the relative performance of their favorite apps with and w/o an FPU?

LOL! I have . . . the traveling salesman routines for figuring out the cut order of nested outlines for vinyl films and conversion of postscript graphics into polyline based stepper motor plotter movements takes . . . well . . . for freakin'EVER without FPU support.

Well I meant normal people with normal applications! :rolleyes: Obviously, you are inSANE.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong and Cory5412 is right and we should all be hawking 68882s on street corners. Forget world peace, how about FPUs for everyone.

G4From128k

Edited by - G4from128k on 20 Apr 2003 17:41:55Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  17:30:05
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well I meant normal people with normal applications! :rolleyes: Obviously, you are inSANE.

Yikes! It shows? SHHHHHH!!!!!!!! The kids might notice!!!!! :rolleyes:

The folks who made the plotter interface card and software thought I was insane too . . . I guess most of their customers weren't doing anything nearly as complicated as I was at the time. I was digitizing logos in Fontographer and outputting PostScript files to cut vinyl a minimum of 6 months before anybody else in NYC had that capability something like 14 months before Gerber equipment could do it.

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 20 Apr 2003 17:43:13Go to Top of Page

SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  17:33:59
The reason I got an FPU for my 550 was because more and more games where requiring one. Then once programs started requiring PPC I bought a 6400. Now my fastest Mac is a beige G3 running OS X 10.2.5 . What makes me upgrade the most is when I can't install the latest OS from Apple. I've read on this board of people running BOS and copland. If anyone can hook me up I would greatly appreciate it.

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  17:53:46
An FPU for games. Well I guess so. I never played computer games so I guess I'm a bit behind the times on that.

But I suppose games are really the main driver for faster computers these days, at least faster consumer machines. Do any "normal" applications require the high performance display boards that are so popular right now?

As for upgrading to the lastest software, I am a confirmed Luddite. I still love FullWrite Professional for word processing and Trapeze for number crunching -- neither of which even have PPC versions. Although I have a G4 AGP and Cinema display, I've stuck with OS 9. I've been burned too many times on too many software upgrades to fall for the lure of next version.

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  08:12:52
http://members.aol.com/robertotec/mac/ccfpuhack.html

PLCC FPU Hacked from IIci MOBO!

jt .

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  13:14:04
quote:

PLCC FPU Hacked from IIci MOBO!

Wow, what a fun hacklet! Thanks Comrade!
Now to find an ultra-cheap/free IIci (for a 25 MHz FPU) and harden my heart enough to rip its FPU from the core of its mobo. And tommorow is garage sale day!

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.