All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Problem with Duo+batteries
Author Topic  
Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  20:35:41
I have a Duo 280c with 2 batteries, and when i insert either of the batteries into it, even when it is plugged in, the Duo goes dead. It just turns off, and I need to take out the batteries to turn it on again. Anyone have a solution to this problem?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
1 Mac Liberated (more to come)

radams
Starting Member

18 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  20:46:55
The Batteries may be completely shot. Although someone will probably swoop in and correct me and tell you how to fix it, but I think I remeber having this problem with some other PBs

68k Macs Liberated: 5 1/2(One's not working yet)Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  21:18:38
It seems pretty unlikely that both batteries are shot......maybe I should also mention that when I put one of them in, Isaw the battery meter become full before the Duo died.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
1 Mac Liberated (more to come)Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  21:42:00
I think I should give you an apology, radams. I tried resetting the power manager, that didn't work. Tried to start it without extensions and then insert it, that didn't work either. Both batteries may very well be dead, but then....why would the powerbook go dead when they are inserted and not even start up?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
2 Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  22:17:52
quote:

I tried resetting the power manager, that didn't work.

Have you tried leaving one battery in the duo to charge overnight and then trying it? It seems like you probably did, but there was no mention of it in the threa, so I thought I'd mention it.
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  14:38:11
You are right, radams, both batteries are completely shot. Nothing else seems to work.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
2 Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  15:29:50
quote:

You are right, radams, both batteries are completely shot. Nothing else seems to work.

Sounds like it to me, but I've got one last shot in the dark. First, have you tried a battery that is known to be good and to be fully charged? It's not clear to me from the thread, a "control" or known quantity might point out a problem in the Duo. If you've already done so, determine if deep discharge "conditionioning chargers" were ever available for the type X (1-3??) batteries, if the Duo is known to be good. Some charging circuits, like one for my truck/car batteries, will not "detect" and therefore won't begin to charge a completely dead battery. The workaround for this is to put another battery in the circuit to fool the charger. Research the circuits of all the charges you've tried.

That's all I can come up with at this point, I apologize in advance if I've offended you by reminding you of basics you've already covered in your testing, but when all else fails, $*&@-can the assumptions and go back to the basics and step one. I have no idea if any of this generic charging-circuitry/battery-type info is applicable, I don't remember the last time I actually used either of my duo's under battery power. Duo Voodoo is a little murky right now and I keep Cmd-Tab'n-ta-'scape my work, so report back and share whatever info you uncover with ***me, that sounds like work!*** all your comrades.

jt

p.s. Take it somewhere to get an estimate for repairs and ask a lot of questions, then decide what to do. Better yet, call a few places and see if they'll give you any clues by the questions they ask when you pester them for a phone quote (but never jerk Tekserve around! I'll loan'em my framing hammer).

back to the real world. *sigh*

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 23 Jan 2002 15:36:07Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.