68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 Coolest 68K Peripherals, Cards, Software???
Author Topic  
bannonth
Starting Member

19 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  20:49:31
Hi! So now that 68K and even early PPC Macs are dirt cheap, what do you guys think are some of the COOLEST older hardware and software packages taht were once high priced and are now affordable?

I'm new to Macs and have been playing around with my PPC's..running Jag on a 9600/G4...as well as some 68K's. I've got a VideoVision Telecast on the way that I look forward to playing with in my Quadra 840av. I found an abandoned SE/30 that was going to serve as a bridge from my serial port-incapacitated Jag machine to my LaserWriter, but I picked up an Etherprint for a buck! So the SE/30 now needs a purpose. And I have a Quadra 700 that I think is just the coolest little tower!

So what software (and I don't really mean you fav old version of Word) is cool and 68K, and what hardware is nifty and nubus?

Opinions???

Tom

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  21:07:59
Coolest CD ROM Drive: Apple PowerCD
Coolest Nubus "accellerator": Radius Rocket
Coolest video card: That Focus 4 meg LC PDS video card that Dana has
Coolest operating system: A/UX
Coolest Mac: Quadra 840AV

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  20:12:53
The coolest 68k able monitor HAS to be the AudioVision 14" this is "The 6100 monitor" if you have one of these rare pieces of work, you are lucky, and have some of the worlds' best speakers with you... treat it well and remember that it's thecoolest thing you can get for your 68k... be careful which 68ks you use it with though... some 68ks will clash with it... (in some ways at least)(

I'd have to say that the coolest keyboard is the Apple Adjustable Keyboard, I have one of these also, and for ANY mac, this is certainly a must, if you have problems with ergonomics, or just want a keyboard that takes up alot of space, or looks cool with your AudioVision! This is the one!

The best Mac to use these wonderful Goodies with, is the Macintosh Quadra 840AV.
Being the god of multimedia, this machine, also being the fastest 68k mac out there, is well deserving to be considered the workstation of the past, and even the present. I used mine for alot of various activities, including creating a PowerPoint on Tape for one of my teachers.

The best 68k software... well I am not the most 'software experty' but I'd have to say that A/UX is one of the coolest things you can treat your 68k to... I'd suggest that you and ML5 run it on your Quadra 700s...

I have the A/UX boot disk, and the CD and all I need is a CD drive that will be recognized by it to install with onto my IIsi...

I've never in my life owned a NuBus card, or any other real 'expansion' other than ethernet... That is my first stop for any ethernetless mac i ever get though!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  22:05:10
No! The coolest 68kable monitor is the AppleVision 1710AV or AppleVision 850AV! (the 21" AppleVision....*drools*) I have a 1710 on my LC475 and it RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  00:11:23
the 850av is a bit bit for most 68ks...

.ME imagines an 850av sitting on top of a Quadra 605...

:drools:

you wouldn't even know that teh 605 wasn't part of the base!
someone should put that UberVideo card into a 605 and see if a 605'll hold a 850...

I almost got (don't think it was an applevision, but it ws apple, and 20")
I was going to use it on my PEESEE at the time... REALLY TALL THAT PC WAS... so it would have matched well...

iThink a nice even middle is the Apple 15" MultiScan or MS-AV ones...

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  12:39:43
I always liked the Thunderscan scanner that used an Imagewriter printer as the paper advance/ scan head mover. I never had one, but thought they looked interesting. I'm sure the scan output was not too good, but the product definitely wins for low cost and for leveraging basic Apple hardware.

Another cool product was an early digital camera (from the days of the 512k) that used a RAM chip with the chip cover removed to create a light sensor. I don't remember the name of the product, but jt might. The image quality was low, but it was a cool concept.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  13:31:17
quote:

The coolest 68k able monitor HAS to be the . . .

Macintosh Portrait Display!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  13:41:26
quote:

I always liked the Thunderscan scanner that used an Imagewriter printer as the paper advance/ scan head mover. I never had one, but thought they looked interesting. I'm sure the scan output was not too good, but the product definitely wins for low cost and for leveraging basic Apple hardware.

Been there done that . . . on a 512k! . . . and an ImageBanger Wide carriage. The line art quality was better than the "Magic" video-digitizer/camera combo that was standard equipment on the vertical market signmaking package back in the day. Images coming in thru the JT Fax card in the PC was the next step up and then a Logitech Hand Scanner finally got me good quality line art scans at a less than exhorbitant price, flat bed scanners were way over $5,000 when ThunderScan was the only alternative.

quote:

Another cool product was an early digital camera (from the days of the 512k) that used a RAM chip with the chip cover removed to create a light sensor. I don't remember the name of the product, but jt might. The image quality was low, but it was a cool concept.

That's news to me, comrade! How would that work, using light to erase a fully written EPROM I could see working . . . can RAM work in a similar fashion?

jt .

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  15:16:33
quote:

quote:

That's news to me, comrade! How would that work, using light to erase a fully written EPROM I could see working . . . can RAM work in a similar fashion?

My extremely vague understanding was that the sensor was a regular DRAM chip with no cover. I actually don't know if it was based on using a photoconductive effect (like an EPROM) or a photovoltaic effect (like a CCD) on the DRAM cell circuitry. If it was photoconductive, then it worked by filling the memory with 1s and measuring how long it took for the cell to decay to 0. If it was photovoltaic, it worked by writing all 0s into memory and then reading the memory to see if exposure to light had built up a charge in the cell. IIRC, it had something like 32,000 pixels and put out 2 or 3 bit monochrome data. I saw a demo of the beastie, but can't remember the maker or model. Of course, this was all at least 15 years ago and many a byte and many a beer have passed through the old cranial CPU. (Hmmm... I wonder if an ancient copy of the Macintosh Buyers Guide would list this beastie?)

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent

EDIT: Found two sites that mention this: (so I'm not crazy -- at least not crazy with regard to DRAM cameras )
http://www.iosphere.net/~rheslip/html/body_robot_vision.html
http://www.howell1964.freeserve.co.uk/projects/DRAM_cam.htm

Edited by - G4from128k on 15 Apr 2003 15:45:15Go to Top of Page

Jasoco
Starting Member

USA
41 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  13:02:16
I have the AudioVision 14"! I am lucky too! I got it with a 6100.

::::..:....:::.::.:..::.:....:.......
Please! no more weasels! I'm full...

Just like the New TNN, [url=http://www.jasoco.com]Visit the New Jasoco.com[/url]Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  10:41:38
Best Monitor Setup:

Apple Portrait Display next to an Apple 2 Page display.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  10:56:53
quote:

Best Monitor Setup:

Apple Portrait Display next to an Apple 2 Page display.

. . . or better yet . . . a Radius.

jt .

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  05:01:48

Radius cards for Video.

AudioMedia cards for Audio.

and also PAS-16 cards for Audio.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  01:43:26
I love my AudioVision 14" and ithin kthat if apple had taken the concept a little farther at the time (as in... made another monitor maybe an extension cable and more computers witht he connectors) it would have been so cool.

I love my Apple Adjustable Keybaord.

I think that a color stylewriter 2200 with a PM 5400 directors edition, Mac TV or TAM would be cool but none of those are cheap, very sadly.

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.