All Forums
 68k Conquests
 WHEW! What a liberation!
Author Topic  
Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  20:09:37
I just got a Duo 280c (my dream machine! 40megs of RAM and a 300 MB Hardrive) plus a boatlaod of peripherals from a guy who was cleaning up his stuff/moving out his storage. The list of stuff is:
-A Duo 280c with 2 batteries (slight problem with them....I'll post a topic in Balloon Help later), an AC adaptor, and a car (cigarrette lighter) adaptor
-A color StlyeWriter printer
-A Visoneer scanner (w/ the drivers on 2 floppies)
-Global village modem
-2 ADB keyboards+2 ADB mice
-ADB joystick
-The Macrecorder (a serial mic-in port)
-More SCSI/ADB cables than I know what to do with
Not bad, eh? Much of it still needs to be tested, and you can expect alot of it to go up for sale in the trading post. Until then, though, I'm going to be enjoying your envy and this materialistic rush!:)

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
1 Mac Liberated (more to come)

radams
Starting Member

18 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  20:18:05
Sweet pants! That's awesome. I'm still looking for a powerbook duo 270c or 280c. Some day. Some day.

68k Macs Liberated: 5 1/2(One's not working yet)Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  20:19:19
quote:

Not bad, eh?....I'm going to be enjoying your envy and this materialistic rush!:)

Excellent haul! Enjoy both feelings, don't get hooked on either!

jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  20:19:41
mmmmm just add a DuoDock II and i'd cry

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  20:44:15
The coolest part is that the guy I got it from is a programmer who used to work for Apple. He says that he wrote Claris Organizer. The Duo, therefore, is full of awesome development and other useful apps/games. (Out of 300 MB, only <99 are empty!)

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
1 Mac Liberated (more to come)Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  20:52:30
quote:

The coolest part is that the guy I got it from is a programmer who used to work for Apple. He says that he wrote Claris Organizer. The Duo, therefore, is full of awesome development and other useful apps/games. (Out of 300 MB, only <99 are empty!)

All of which you will be ULing to our hotline server, I'm sure!

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  21:40:29
quote:

All of which you will be ULing to our hotline server, I'm sure!

As soon as I can. The problem is that in order to get the software on to my ibook (my only mac with Hotline + Internet access), I need to use the localtalk connectors (is that what they are called? The serial port things that use phone cords instead of Ethernet cables? I keep forgetting) to connect the Duo to my Quadra, so that I can use the standard ethernet adaptor on it to connect to my ibook.
Oh, and to elaborate on the software: It has Adobe Pagemill, Hypercard, a bunch of AppleScript reference stuff, Retrospect, the first Palm desktop, Maclink Plus,a Marathon demo, RealAudio......I can't go on....

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
1 Mac Liberated (more to come)Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  05:03:08
quote:

As soon as I can. The problem is that in order to get the software on to my ibook (my only mac with Hotline + Internet access), I need to use the localtalk connectors (is that what they are called? The serial port things that use phone cords instead of Ethernet cables? I keep forgetting) to connect the Duo to my Quadra, so that I can use the standard ethernet adaptor on it to connect to my ibook.

Use the serial printer cable (it's called a null-modem cable in all but the Apple world) in your 68kMLA field kit, you don't need the "phone-net" connectors unless you want to network more than two machines simultaneously (buy at least 3 if you buy any at all). set up the duo & quadra as a 2 machine network in exactly the same configuration that you were planning and back up the duo onto the quadra's hdd

I have all kinds of stuff connected to my 10bt hub using a localtalk bridge, you may want to look into that option at some point. Also check your boatload of peripherals/SCSI/ADB cables for a really short (10" long) DARK gray PowerBook SCSI to 50 pin FEMALE Centronics Connector with the wire bales to hold it to the regular SCSI peripheral cables for your Quadra. If there are no other docks and no floppy/adapter combo for the duo, I wouldn't be surprised to find a "Newer SCSI Microdock" (5" wide crescent shaped, thing looks just like a floppy adapter) and a pass thru terminator. If you were really lucky the best parts of this guy's duo outfit aren't in a bag with his 2300c the fact that the auto adapter is there makes me think that you've got a shot. From the inventory, sounds to me like this guy's been around the block a time or two, possibly as a road warrior.

If you already knew this stuff I apologize, but I'm curious and jealous as........

jt

p.s. If you find an etherdock, I'm not talking to you ever again!

P.P.S. Is it possible to add some custom frownies/smilies, if I did some graphics, it would cut down on my typing.

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  07:28:25
Thanks, Trash80, I didn't know that. How does that work system-wise? I connect the 2 machines using the serial cable, turn file sharing on, and use the chooser to connect? BTW, I didn't get any sort of dock and I can't find the cable that you mentioned.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
2 Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  07:39:52
You got it. It is, however, 5 times slower than PhoneNET, which is 40 times slower than 10BaseT.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  09:04:16
I paid $30 for my 280c and it's got a fried Mobo!

Someday it'll get a Duo 2300c Mobo transplant, though...someday...

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  10:15:22
quote:

You got it. It is, however, 5 times slower than PhoneNET, which is 40 times slower than 10BaseT.

You betcha! You're wrong. You're WAY wrong, but I couldn't get a "consultant" to believe the numbers when I pointed to them in black and white in a trade pub. Some people's "experience" protects them from re-examining their data. Refer to Don Lancaster's works regarding such "experts".

Common Knowledge........ often ain't.

jt

had to come back for editing, forgot the smilie, live and learn, learnin's the fun part. IMHO

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 21 Jan 2002 10:18:20Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.