Lounge
 fun fact
Author Topic  
onionkid
Starting Member

Sweden
35 Posts
Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  09:02:45
did you know that absinth was legalized in the EU in 1998?
or that i´ve hidden a 486+a performa display in one of my parents wardrobes - and they havent noticed yet?

///////////////////

http://w1.635.telia.com/~u63505716/cuc/gfx/tehlab/28.jpg

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  11:00:41
Whats the 1st thing?

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

onionkid
Starting Member

Sweden
35 Posts
Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  14:18:19
its an alcoholic drink that contains a neural poison which makes you hallucinate. It was forbidden in France (which was where it was most popular) around 100 years ago due to the huge number of suicides and murders comitted by addicts. Thing is; wetsnuff, which is basically just cow dung with nicotine beneath your lip, is illegal while absinth, which gives you visits by green fairies suggesting suicide, is totally ok .

///////////////////

http://w1.635.telia.com/~u63505716/cuc/gfx/tehlab/28.jpgGo to Top of Page

Master of Puppets
Starting Member

32 Posts
Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  15:46:59
Absinthe. Heres a site with a bunch of info about whats in it: http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/mom/absinthe/absinthe.html

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Apr 2003 :  19:51:28
GLAYVEN!

that SHOULD be illegal!
Everywhere!

cool deal on the performa display though

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  00:44:36
quote:

GLAYVEN!

that SHOULD be illegal!

EXACTLY!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  01:18:25
I thought it was the wormwood that made it halucanagenic and the absinthe that you buy in the UK and most of western europe IIRC does not contain it. Of course in eastern euope it's anything goes and lage bottles of ansinthe can be picked up for aroung 2 USD a bottle. My g/f brough some back last time she was on holiday there whilst we were still living in the UK. Apparently the best way to ship it around is in a lysterene or other mouth wash bottle, as many are green anyway and smell just as bad.

It's actually quite passable although I always preferred aftershock (so called because it continues fermenting inside your stomach after you've drunk it!)

However 2 2 friends went to the cinema and drank a whole bottle between them, one woke up in hospital the other woke up in a field having his face licked by a horse, neither had any idea what had happened!

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  01:27:05
Speaking about wormwood, do you know in Ukranian it means Chernobyl. And in the bible in Revelation Chapter 8 paragraph 10 and 11 it practically predicts the Chernobyl accident happening..

Go to Top of Page

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  01:48:19
quote:
I thought it was the wormwood that made it halucanagenic and the absinthe that you buy in the UK and most of western europe IIRC does not contain it.

Yep thats right. The stuff we get isn't too bad, but if you buy from Andorra (the little country in the Pyrenees between Spain and France), then you get the real deal!

Jobf.

http://jobf.kicks-ass.orgGo to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  04:42:46
quote:
And in the bible in Revelation Chapter 8 paragraph 10 and 11 it practically predicts the Chernobyl accident happening..

I wasn't aware of that... I'll have to check it out.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  06:06:28
hmm....

(not drinking age)

onionkid
Starting Member

Sweden
35 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  08:58:42
problem with the bible and telling the future is that you will always find whatever you´re looking for if you just look hard enough. The same goes for Nostradamus as well in even greater extent; for example, what everyone said was the prediction of the second world war was actually something he said about a fight supposed to be between two little Italian city-states/provinces called Hisler and Germania. Someone thought "Hisler" sounded a bit like "Hitler" and there you have it . He was like Nietzsche; constantly high on whatever and wrote down everything that came into his head

///////////////////

I lack a cool sayingGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  10:16:20
This should clear up any misconceptions.

quote:
A Star Falls From Heaven

28 “And the third angel blew his trumpet. And a great star burning as a lamp fell from heaven, and it fell upon a third of the rivers and upon the fountains of waters. And the name of the star is called Wormwood. And a third of the waters turned into wormwood, and many of the men died from the waters, because these had been made bitter.” (Revelation 8:10, 11) Once again, other parts of the Bible help us to see how this scripture applies in the Lord’s day.

29 We have already met the symbolism of a star in Jesus’ messages to the seven congregations, in which the seven stars symbolize the elders in the congregations. (Revelation 1:20) Anointed “stars,” along with all others of the anointed, inhabit heavenly places in a spiritual sense from the time that they are sealed with the holy spirit as a token of their heavenly inheritance. (Ephesians 2:6, 7) However, the apostle Paul warned that from among such starlike ones would come apostates, sectarians, who would mislead the flock. (Acts 20:29, 30) Such unfaithfulness would result in a great apostasy, and these fallen elders would come to make up a composite man of lawlessness that would elevate himself to a godlike position among mankind. (2 Thessalonians 2:3, 4) Paul’s warnings were fulfilled when the clergy of Christendom appeared on the world scene. This group is well represented by the symbol of “a great star burning as a lamp.”

30 John sees this particular star falling from heaven. How? The experiences of an ancient king help us to understand. Speaking to the king of Babylon, Isaiah said: “O how you have fallen from heaven, you shining one, son of the dawn! How you have been cut down to the earth, you who were disabling the nations!” (Isaiah 14:12) This prophecy was fulfilled when Babylon was overthrown by the armies of Cyrus, and its king made an abrupt descent from world rulership to shameful defeat. Thus, a fall from heaven can refer to losing a high position and falling into ignominy.

31 When the clergy of Christendom apostatized from true Christianity, they fell from the lofty “heavenly” position described by Paul at Ephesians 2:6, 7. Instead of offering fresh waters of truth, they served up “wormwood,” bitter lies such as hellfire, purgatory, the Trinity, and predestination; also, they led the nations into war, failing to build them up as moral servants of God. The result? Spiritual poisoning of those who believed the lies. Their case was similar to that of the unfaithful Israelites of Jeremiah’s day, to whom Jehovah said: “Here I am making them eat wormwood, and I will give them poisoned water to drink. For from the prophets of Jerusalem apostasy has gone forth to all the land.”—Jeremiah 9:15; 23:15.

32 This fall from the spiritual heavens became apparent in the year 1919 when, rather than Christendom’s clergy, the small remnant of anointed Christians was appointed over the Kingdom interests. (Matthew 24:45-47) And from 1922 that fall was dramatized when this group of Christians renewed their campaign of frankly exposing the failings of the clergy of Christendom.

33 Outstanding in this connection was the proclamation made at what The Golden Age magazine described as “the greatest convention of Bible Students held during the ages.” This convention assembled in Columbus, Ohio, July 20-27, 1924. No doubt at the direction of the angel that sounded the third trumpet, a forceful resolution was there adopted and later 50 million copies were distributed as a tract. It was published under the title Ecclesiastics Indicted. A subheading presented the issue: “The Seed of Promise Versus the Seed of the Serpent.” The Indictment itself roundly exposed Christendom’s clergy on matters such as their taking of high-sounding religious titles, their making commercial giants and professional politicians the principal ones of their flocks, their desiring to shine before men, and their refusing to preach to the people the message of Messiah’s Kingdom. It emphasized that every dedicated Christian is commissioned by God to proclaim “the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn.”—Isaiah 61:2, KJ.

34 Since the third angel started to blow his trumpet, the clergy’s position of dominance among mankind has been slipping until, in this day and age, very few of them retain the godlike powers they enjoyed in former centuries. Because of the preaching of Jehovah’s Witnesses, great numbers of people have come to realize that many doctrines taught by the clergy are spiritual poison—“wormwood.” Furthermore, the clergy’s power in northern Europe is almost spent, while in most Eastern European lands, as well as in China, the government strictly curtails their influence. In Catholic parts of Europe and in the Americas, the clergy’s scandalous behavior in financial, political, and moral affairs has sullied their reputation. From now on, their position can only get worse, since soon they will suffer the same fate as all other false religionists.—Revelation 18:21; 19:2.

35 Jehovah’s plaguing of Christendom is not yet finished. Consider what happens after the fourth trumpet blast.

Revelation—Its Grand Climax at Hand!
Published by Jehovah's Wittnesses

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III, FPU, 20/80/enet, 7.5.5, Mail Server

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 1G/512k L2, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  20:29:19
glayven...

is this a topic for interesting facts?

I'm going to have to dig up a few...

DId you know that the reason I have a PBg4 is this was going to be "the kind of all macs" I.E. my only mac.

We just moved and dad didn't want to have to pack my macs and/or bring them...

To his dismay I have now
PowerBook G4 GHz 15"
PowerBook 100
iMac (grandpa's house)
Mac IIsi (he didn't know about this one even!)
PowerMac 6500
PowerMac 7300

Apple MultiScan 15" monitor
Apple AudioVision 14" monitor

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  20:59:19
Mum said no more Macs when i got the PowerBook 180c. I now have....

Original Macintosh (128k)
Classic II
LCII
LCIII
LC475
LC630
Quadra 700
Power Macintosh 8100/80AV
PowerBook 145B
PowerBook 1400c/166
iMac 333
Power Macintosh 8100/110AV (dead, but not for long....)
PowerBook 100 (dead)
PowerBook 150 (dead)
PowerBook 170 (dead)
PowerBook 165c (dead)
PowerBook 180c (dead)

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  02:29:05
Since this thread is talking about intereasting facts, I thought I would let you guys on something that continues to make me angry, people claiming the Concorde is the fastest passenger airliner of all time.

This is false. In reality, the fastest passenger airliner was the russian built Tupolev 144, it was quite a bit faster than the concorde, and slightly less reliable.

Edited by - Fedorenko on 12 Apr 2003 02:31:04Go to Top of Page

onionkid
Starting Member

Sweden
35 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  03:53:48
speaking of Russian aircraft, did you know that the Soviet Union had a space shuttle program? It was cancelled around 1990 due to funding problems. They had only made a few radio controlled laps in orbit, so no one ever got to fly that beuty either .

///////////////////

I lack a cool sayingGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  05:35:21
One of my mates brought back a bottle of Absinthe from Spain when he went overseas, but you can actually get it in WA these days.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  05:54:14
quote:

speaking of Russian aircraft, did you know that the Soviet Union had a space shuttle program? It was cancelled around 1990 due to funding problems. They had only made a few radio controlled laps in orbit, so no one ever got to fly that beuty either .

Yes, they have a fun tour of the Buran (the Russian shuttle) in Sydney Australia. Its quite impressive.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  08:30:30
quote:

Yes, they have a fun tour of the Buran (the Russian shuttle) in Sydney Australia. Its quite impressive.

Whoa, I'm in Sydney and I havn't seen it anywhere. Perhaps it was just a temporary display at a museum? Where did you see it? I'd be interested in a look if it's still here.

cheers
Flash!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  15:29:42
quote:

Whoa, I'm in Sydney and I havn't seen it anywhere. Perhaps it was just a temporary display at a museum? Where did you see it? I'd be interested in a look if it's still here.

When we were in Sydney, back in Sept 2001, the exhibit was near Darling Harbor and Star City. It was really cool because you could climb inside the crew compartment and sit in the cockpit. Sadly, it sounds as if the exhibit is closed and perhaps the shuttle is stranded there by the harbor.

http://www.meniscus.net/buran/

Cheers,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  17:03:44
lots of interesting facts!

Did you know that in the '90s Amtrak was looking for a new kind of train for their "northeast corridor" CappnZ might know what this is, but iThink it's actually south of JT.

They tested the German InterCityExpress (ICE) train....

It wasn't as fast as what is today known as "Acela" and on a tour of the country, they had to use the ONLY 2 GM F-69PH-AC diesels to pull it all around...

BOY that looked silly one of those dualheaded (one on each end) electric trains being pulled around by these 2 huge diesels...

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  12:08:32
Curious--why tour the non-electrified parts of the country? Or did they use the diesels to pull it between Washington and NYC, too?

The Northeast Corridor is between Washington, DC and Boston (NYC to Boston electrified just a couple of years ago).

I've never seen those F69-PH ACs, nor any F59s either--they were used on the West Coast.

/Mr Lynn

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn’t have a space program.
--Larry NivenGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  17:04:41
It was this whole campaign they did... Amtrak was almost dead-set on using the German-ICE trains.

The F59-Ps are really nice... they are the same level as the bi-level coaches in the west, and the Talgo trainsets in the Pacific NorthWest.

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  17:53:01
Man, what I wouldn't give for one of those diesel engines like are in those locomotives. I don't know what I would do with it, but it would be a great conversation piece.Go to Top of Page
~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  18:43:32
I'd rather have the steam engine from one of those Union Pacific "Big Boy" articulated locos.

Fun fact: even as UP started running trains with diesel engines to pull them, the Big Boys were used to replace up to four (!) diesels.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  19:09:03

Go to Top of Page

SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  23:21:43
I'm new here and I hope I'm not stepping on anyones toes but I have to post this as a general warning to all who read this thread. Please read this post in it's entirety so you won't let this happen to you. This reply especially goes out to The Lightning Stalker.

Warning beware of the Jehovah's wittiness cult. I was brought up in this cult as a child and it has done nothing but destroyed my family. If you know anyone who is studying with them please do your best to get them away before there brain washed by them. Here are some of the brain washing tactics they use.

1) Bad association spoils useful habits.

They use this scripture a lot. Basically when you start studying with them and going to there church, they drill this into your head. What they mean by this is that anyone not in there religion is considered bad association or another one of there terms "worldly". Slowly they get you to break ties with friends who are not of there religion and replace them with people going to there church. Now if you ever decide to leave there religion you then become bad association and they all turn there backs on you. You can't imagine what it feels like to loose all your friends in one day.

2) There bible

When you start studying with them they will try subtly to get you to use there version of the bible. There version of the bible is called "The new world TRANSLATION" When you start going to there church you will find that they refer to the bible of king James as the "King James VERSION". This is a brain washing technique. Think about it would you rather use there TRANSLATION or the King james VERSION.

3) "The truth"

They often refer to there religion as "The truth". So what there basically saying is that everything else is a lie. Need I say more.

4) Walking around with there eyes closed

They use this term to refer to people not within there religion. What they mean by this is that every chance you get you should try and get people to open there eyes and see "The Truth". The thing about this is, is that they are the ones who are close minded about other religions. In fact it is greatly discouraged to read anything that contradicts there beliefs.

I'm not going to bore everyone here with a long drawn out post nor do I want to turn this thread into a religious one. If you want to learn more about the evils of this cult there is plenty of web pages you can find by doing a search. Please understand this is not a personal attack on anyone here it's just a general warning. I will not be responding to this thread again nor will I ever talk about religion again on this board.

A personal note to The Lightning Stalker
I wish you the best of luck in your life but I hope you will one day use the internet to find out the real truth about the organization you affiliate yourself with. If your beliefs are as strong as you think they are then you should have no problem with testing your beliefs. According to the JW's I have just committed the only sin that will never be forgiven, talking against the JW's. I hope you find the courage one day to free yourself just as I have.
SM

I like it slowGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  06:25:23
hmm.... Like so many things in life.... a cult...

I try to keep myself just living by my own standards.

I've been to a church before, it wasn't even one of the 'cults' or anything... really singy people... its just that it's really scary to hear some of the things that 'god cured' 'god let happen' 'god gave me this'

and even weirder.... I wonder why only in the multi-god religions (i know there's a technical term for it) is there female gods....

I say! we must start a new religion call it Glayvenism and have lara croft be our god...

Or not,.....

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  15:29:01
Sorry to hear you feel that way, SlowMac. I hope you come back.

Edited by - The Lightning Stalker on 14 Apr 2003 15:34:30Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.