All Forums
 Lounge
 Annoying clicks & having alto you very very slowly
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  14:43:47
Annoying clicks & having alerts read out to you very very slowly.

When I go through menu options my 7600/132 keeps making annoyings clicking noises, can I switch this off?

The alerts get read out to me, can I switch this off?

What are the top browsers, preferably free?

The 7600/132 may become a G3, theres no stopping us now our kid "I've got the power"

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  16:50:31
The "sound" tab in the "appearences" control panel controls the sound effects for menus etc. I think there is a control panel for "Speech" that might control that -- if that doesn't work, try using the "extensions manager" to turn-off the "speech" or "speech manager" extensions.

I like iCab as a free browser.

Cheers,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  01:09:25
He's right use the appearance control panel to disbale interface noises

speek alerts is an option in the speech control panel and it's actually quite useful. how many times have you gone in to another room after leaving you mac to do something only to come back and find it was waiting for you to make a descision. With speak alerts turned on it'll read the alert if it needs your attention, also handy when no monitor is hooked up. Just set it to a reasonable delay like 45 seconds though.

All browsers are free near enough. And I'm sorry to say it but iCab is crap, yes iCan is a crap browser! It's smiley face the doesn't like w3c standard compliant code is retarded. It's lack of CSS support is crap too. IE is not that bad when it comes to getting a site on screen.

Personally for OS 9 I quite like NS 7/mozilla whatever version number it has today. Standards support is good, most pages work well, works with banking sites, hotmail and my own websites. IIRC NS 7 is NS 4.x on steroids. Mozilla is the browser without the email, newsgroup, composer crap.

Go get mozilla!

If you're getting a G3 upgrade make sure it's under 100 UKP. My preference would be to buy an XLR8 carrier card for around 40 UKP and the slowest G3 chip which is a 233 or 266 for about 10 UKP. Overclock the G3 to 300 Mhz or 333 which is easy and safe and I can walk you through it. This gets you on the G3 bandwagon for the least amount of money, but it also puts you in a good place to take advantag of cheap ZIF chips as they drop in price and you could eventually upgrade all the way to 800 MHz!!

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  12:23:55
No more headaches the annoying clicks have stopped, just a gentle hum from the 7600/132 itself now.

quote:
If you're getting a G3 upgrade make sure it's under 100 UKP. My preference would be to buy an XLR8 carrier card for around 40 UKP and the slowest G3 chip which is a 233 or 266 for about 10 UKP. Overclock the G3 to 300 Mhz or 333 which is easy and safe and I can walk you through it. This gets you on the G3 bandwagon for the least amount of money, but it also puts you in a good place to take advantag of cheap ZIF chips as they drop in price and you could eventually upgrade all the way to 800 MHz!!

Well upgrading sounds good, hey I am living out your fantasy goth?

Went into John Lewis today & actually came close to drulling over the macs, well they just seem a bit too daft, imac gmac, a, b, c, d, e & f mac, well g4's are darn ugly, ..........

If I can upgrade for £50 or so it'll probably happen, in the next 6 months or so you understand.

I might go download Mozzilla & Eudora as seperate apps....

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.