Compact Macs
 Classic II weirdness...
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  17:30:01
Recently my Classic II has been suffering from two problems. When I start the computer, i no longer get a boot chime, and if i adjust the speaker volume anywhere above 1, the sound stays at 1, but is all distorted. Other times it is fine, until i reboot in which case i don't get any sound from the speaker at all. Plugging in a pair of known good earphones doesn't help either. I recently took out the 2 4 meg SIMMs to put them back in my LCII. Could i have some bad ram on my hands?

Also, when i start the Mac, i get a really weird smell coming from the vent at the back. However, a couple of hours after it has warmed up, the smell is gone and it smells fine. Could it be time to blow out the dust bunnies in that 10 year old fan?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  20:26:17
check the service manual (I just uploaded it to our 68kmla hl server)

about that smell...go on a can-of-comresssed-air campaign against the Classic II

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  16:54:25
quote:

check the service manual (I just uploaded it to our 68kmla hl server)

about that smell...go on a can-of-comresssed-air campaign against the Classic II

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™

Heh...i already checked the service manual (Long live the Service Source CD), and it says nothing about the sound, but it tells me that if there's an odor or smoke coming from the machine, to replace the analog board. But yeah, i may as well give that thing a spring cleaning...its got about 10 years worth of dust in there...heh

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.