All Forums
 Lounge
 New Console
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  11:16:12
I have pretty much decided on what console to buy.

I would like to buy a Gameboy advance. It looks pretty nifty & will play old games, so I can buy Turrican.

but although It has just been reduced in price from £70 to £50(approx) it is a bit much, so I have dropped big hints as to what ~I want for my birthday in May:-)

My wife was saying that sh'd buy me the Cramp Twins on video, man what if I had to choose, ...........Cramp Twins would win.

Is there a Duke Nukem for the Gameboy?

I still may buy any console or c64 that costs me a tenner or less.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)

Jobf

United Kingdom
162 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  11:48:19
Shak, make sure you get the new 'clamshell' model. Backlit screen, better battery life. Much better!Go to Top of Page
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  14:16:21
Make sure you don't want to use headphones if you get the new one though.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  15:12:45
Shak rather than spend money on a defunct console (assuming you want nothing more than a SNES/MegaDrive) Put the money towards a faster chip for your PCI powermac. 233 604s go for about 25 USD Max, in fact I'm going to visit the guy I sold my 9600 to this afternoon, he pup a G3 500 in and has a spare 604 233, you could probably have it for about 20 UKP. The only spare chip I have is a 120 MHz 601 or a fast G3 Zif, you could have the 120 for nothing but that would be a down grade!

Anyway the point of all that is with a 233 you should be able to emulates any console up to a SNES or MegaDrive, download the games for all of these machines (typically under 2 MB each, much less for C64 games) and have all the consoles you could never afford on one machine! This is exactly what I did, i know have spectrum, Atari, Amiga, SNES and MegaDrive emulators.

C64 emulators should run fine on your machine as it is, go to www.emulation.net now choose a machine download the emulator then do a search for the ROMs. ROMs are interchangeable between PC and Mac so you don't need to worry about where you get them from.

Go get some emulators! You could even buy a cheap game pad for a more realistic console feel. If you ever pic up an A/V card then you can play the games on a TV as well!

Incidentally that GBA is not "that" powerfull although I suspect you would need a lowend G3 to use one of the GBA emulators. You should give it a shot though.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  21:52:09
A 578 will emulate a gameboy color...

VERY SLOWLY.

I used the iMac (a g3 at 233, with LESS RAM than your specimin has) to play SNES, sega and other misc. games on...

Your 7600 should do good as-is (iThink) but yah, while a processor upgrade it s agood idea, I'd (for you) go witht he new gameboy.

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  12:38:14
hehehhhe! I wonder if my powerbook 2300 will run them...

THNxnxx
"come on over myah! I'll give you two fiddy!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  12:52:43
Processor upgrade sounds good, just switch cpu's sell the old one?

quote:
Anyway the point of all that is with a 233 you should be able to emulates any console up to a SNES or MegaDrive, download the games
for all of these machines (typically under 2 MB each, much less for C64 games) and have all the consoles you could never afford on one
machine! This is exactly what I did, i know have spectrum, Atari, Amiga, SNES and MegaDrive emulators.

Emulation is emulation, I will perhaps have a go at emulation as well & I think Atari st is probably better emulated, but I do want consoles, with cartridges so as to just plug & play rather than waiting for the computer to start up & then to tell me it dosn't like it's open transport connection(or any of the other multitude of excuses the mac might throw up).

quote:

Go get some emulators! You could even buy a cheap game pad for a more realistic console feel

I was wanting a game pad for my mac but thought they didn't exist, I thought all mac users were nerds who played "doom" & the like & just enjoyed using keys, I have seen a few adb joysticks, but nothing that I would want to use as a gaming tool.........., tell me more.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  18:51:15
If you want a gamepad either fork out 10 UKP for a crappy second hand 4 button ADB gamepad (ADB joysticks weren't so bad, I have a really nice Gravis firehawk that cost me 50 UKP several years ago)

OR

Buy a cheap PC USB card (IIRC any with the OHCI(sp?) chipset are mac compatible the box usually states what chip set they use) a lot say G3 compatible which basically means compatible with any Mac. This well set you back 10 o 15 UKP

buy a cheap USB Playstation 2 ripoff game pad 10 UKP with 8 or so buttons a D-pad and 2 analogue sticks. (Don't pay extra for force feedback it only works on OS X)

download "USB overdrive" and configure.

play games!

all in all that sets you back 20-30 UKP tops

The added bonus of the USB card is if you ever want a cheap USB printer or scanner you can pick up just about any model from a PC shop. This opens up a whole world of decent photo quality 50 UKP printers.

USB can also be used for multi button mice, cheap replacement keyboards etc.

Yet another bonus is if you have a cheap 10 UKP gamepad and your 3yr old decides to eat it or something crazy you're not going to be out of pockect too badly.

A decent mac USB game pad from macally costs about 30 UKP on it's own.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  21:29:28
www.emulation.net

should have a nice comprehensive list of emulators for nearly any platform you'll want

reviews, minimum requirements ect ect.

You might find that you can do emulation for free and still get that gameboy advance anyway.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.