All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 The PC-to-Mac smooth transfer Guide(tm)
Author Topic  
raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  07:28:29
How to "smoothly" transfer Mac files to a Macintosh from a PC.
1) Download StuffIt Expander for Windows. (This will ensure that Expander is associated with .sit and .hqx archives.
(If the file is smaller than 1.44 MB, then just copy it to a floppy.)
2) Download ZipIt! from www.maczipit.com, then install it on your Macintosh.
2) Download your files of choice.
3) Have some PC 1.44 MB floppies ready.
4) Right-click on the file/files you want to transfer. Select "Add to .zip" and specify the target directory, should be A:\something.zip. Make sure that Multiple disk spanning is set to Automatic.
5) When WinZip asks for another floppy, insert it and click "Ok".
6) Take out your floppies and head over to your Macintosh.
7) Copy the split .zip archive to your hard drive. Make sure you name them "Something1.zip", "Something2.zip" etc for smooth unzipping.
8) Open ZipIt!, open up the last "Something.zip" portion. Inflation will begin. The program will give you additional instructions.
9) Ta-Daaaa!

This Guide is (c) raWr 2002.

ph33r my Centris 650.

Macs liberated: 4-5

Edited by - raWr on 22 Jan 2002 12:30:06

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  11:31:03
quote:

How to "smoothly" transfer Mac files to a Macintosh from a PC.

9) Ta-Daaaa!

This Guide is (c) raWr 2001.

very cool raWr!

if you do the mac-pc howto it'll be make way cool two chapter "pocket-manual" for 68kMLA survival course: When Trapped behind Wintel lines. *see footnote*

jt

*i don't do this kind of software analysis unless i HAVE to (SoftwareAnalysis/Experimentation=Work), so i haven't figured out the details on how to tell my son to sneaker-net (floppy transfer) a .cwk5 (my.clarisworks5.mac.file.extension.nomenclature) from the 630/Word/VideoProc/Play/Workstation built INTO his desk to the WinK6NetComStation (only hardware solution i know of to keep AmericaOnLine) UNDER his desk for attachment/e-mailing via AmericaOffLine dialup to my G-4/DSL in shop (designated AOL free zone) for laserprinting (WITHFORMATTINGINTACT! which is one of reasons shop is zoned AO..............). **see footnote of footnote
seems like less trouble to put uphill & back mileage on my sneakers

**troubleshooting&hardwarehacking=playtime! which is why the exercise is probably good for me anyway *......sighs.......* and I don't really have much faith that AOL won't (unstuff-mess with formatting-convinced their compression gotta be better-packet encode in some NOBODY can figure out why mime implementation -transmit-........) figure out some way to trash the formatting on me anyway, but i have a suspicious nature.

*.....and a tendency toward overly long postings, but rembers he's tryin' to settle into less a than completely intolerable/indecipherable format.....sighs again..........hopes his quest for communications self improvement through experimentation with dimly recalled literary...................hasn't been TOO annoying to his comrades.............*

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 20 Jan 2002 11:38:58Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.