Trading Post! (Buy, sell & trade)
 WTB: "internettable" compact
Author Topic  
neonboy
Starting Member

10 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  11:05:46
OK-
I do not know if it can be done, but i *REALLY* want a compact to irc on, the slower the better. Ive a little classic, but with the one meg of memory and no hard drive issues, it isnt possible;) i know this prolly isnt the place to ask, but which route should i go? could i work with the classic as far as adding a hard disk, memory and some sort of ethernet adapter? i have been thinking about doing this since i picked this classic up "as is" at the local thrift for a buck ninety eight. all it needed was a system disk *grumble*grumble* these peecee people! just pronounce it dead and put the disk labeled for it in a seperate bin, huh? smart, *knowing* they received them together! anyhoo, enough of a rant, anyone think its possible? im not fixing to try to look at flash sites or anything heh heh, just chat. also, i suppose i would need a better system than the *one* floppy im using(i think its 6.*.8?) lengthy post, sorry, hit me up if you have anything!

KatMac
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  23:25:38
You can get on the internet with your Classic, but your best bet is an SE or SE/30 with an internal ethernet card. It sounds like your Classic has a dead hard drive, and either the minimum 1M memory or the memory expansion card (containing 1-3M additional) has come loose. The other thing that dies on these is the battery; a date of 1956 is an indicator that yours has expired.

There are a few kinds of external ethernet adapters that work with the Classic, but I don't have any for sale. I can sell you a Classic hard drive and/or a memory expansion card; you will need a long-neck torx screwdriver to open the case (can be bought at Sears). I do have SE's and SE/30's with internal ethernet for sale, whole or in part. One thing I don't know about is irc software since I don't use that; maybe someone else can chime in.

Go to Top of Page

neonboy
Starting Member

10 Posts
Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  23:34:55
The classic is the minimal configuration, meaning its never been tampered with. 1 meg of memor standard, no hard disk, only a superdrive floppy, keys, clicker and power cord are on this one, no hard disk, i opened it to check when i purchased it. hmm, whats an se/30 run? like cost wise? thanks for your reply!

Go to Top of Page

FuDHuD
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  08:52:06
Neonboy,

The Macintosh "Classic" was simply a re-issue of the Plus, so you're running pretty bare (still kinda' fun though, ain't it?).

An SE/30 will run you about $20-30 (or less) at online auctions (i.e. eBay - judging from their "Completed Items"), depending, of course, on condition and peripherals, etc.

The big pain is the shipping, as most folks want between $20-30.

Alot of the time you pay more to get the machine to you, than for the machine itself. It stinks, but what are you going to do?

With a max RAM of 128 MB, though, (granted you have Mode32 working for you) you can really fly!

In fact, there is an active auction on eBay right now for 64MB RAM (in four sticks) for a "But It Now" price of $15.00!

Cheers,
FuDHuD

Monochronies Unite!

Edited by - FuDHuD on 04 Apr 2003 08:54:26Go to Top of Page

neonboy
Starting Member

10 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  13:30:05
EBay is not an option. i have *attempted* to purchase classic parts on there before, to no avail. the most recent was someone that had a macintosh classic empty case i was going to make an aquarium out of. i won the auction for 1.00, he was nasty in his email to me, first off, but i explained to him i still wanted the case. he quoted me a shipping price of 17.00! ive shipped a giant, relatively heavy powerbook 1400 with ALLLLLLL kinds of accessories for that much! and it costs that to send some bare plastics? true, im an artist and not a mathematician, but i know when someones trying to make me take it... anyone else have a simmilar experience?

Go to Top of Page

FuDHuD
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  14:31:32
Neonboy,

Oh, bigtime. The problem is mainly with the "fixed shipping" guys. It doesn't matter what you win, they want to overnight the thing to you - in the case of a monitor or something, you'll get a big 'ol bill for double or triple the price of the item you won.

For example, I had a friend of mine who won a cell phone case for $0.80. The guy sent him an e-mail stating that he owed him $8.00 shipping - the thing could've been sent in an envelope for the price of a stamp!

I'm now waiting for my total for an SE I bought on eBay. You watch: $5.50 for the machine, $30.00 for shipping.

Good Luck,
FuDHuD

Monochronies Unite!Go to Top of Page

KatMac
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 06 Apr 2003 :  20:13:27
quote:

EBay is not an option. i have *attempted* to purchase classic parts on there before, to no avail. the most recent was someone that had a macintosh classic empty case i was going to make an aquarium out of. i won the auction for 1.00, ...

I've purchased a variety of memory chips from eBay auctions without problems. Maybe that seller thought the classic case was rare and he could make some $ off it; I don't know. Anyway, I can sell you an empty case, a hard drive with all cables and mounting hardware, and/or a memory card with 3M on it, and shipping is always actual shipping cost. If I needed an ethernet adapter I would post a WTB over on the LEM swap list. And you could follow some of the 68kmla links to find out what software you might use for irc.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.