68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General 68kMLA News & Stuff
 What Older mac were you first introduced to?
Author Topic  
maclady
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  00:05:38
Several years ago, before we really knew anything about any kind of computer, we used a MacSE, which we used at a newspaper office. They were so proud as they had gotten a new PageMaker, back in 1987, to lay out the paper with. I was so thrilled a few years after that to get my own SE30, and was told by a 'Guru', we couldn't work on them ourselves, as you needed a 'special' tool and knowledge. Mistake one: he shouldn't have told us we COULDN'T do something...as that made us more determined than ever to learn to do it all for ourselves. we went to the hardware store and found one of these 'special ' tools...a torx screw driver. This is where we began being dangerous To begin with, it was my husband who did all the work, but then he taught me too. It's good to know how to work on the machines, rather you're male or female....and it sure does save you the hourly fee from the other Guru's!

The older Macs are a lot like quality time, thoughtful people and a good nights sleep.

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  04:33:22
THE CLASSIC K

ph33r my Centris 650.

Macs liberated: 4-5Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  07:36:31
Back when I was young I vaguely remember seeing a compact mac at the local show, probably one of the first Macintoshes. Later during work experience in 1988 I used a few more compacts... and didn't have anything to do with macs until 1997, when I started work in a pre-press house, using an 8100/80 with Photoshop, XPress, Illustrator and a few other graphics progs - The graphical grrl in me was impressed! :D. I used my sisters 6300 for a while, and then moved back to my hometown, and didn't have a chance to come across them again until 2000, when my sis gave me my first mac - the 8100/80 that I'd worked on before. Bliss! I photoshopped to my hearts content... and saved up for an iMac 400, which arrived April last year. Then I saw an LC II and liked it (I'd always liked 68k processors, even though I hadn't used a 68k mac a great deal until then). Later another couple of LC II/III's popped up on ebay, and a 475... and a few more LCIII's and a IIci and IIcx and Quadra 630, some 605's and and and... you know the story :D

Now there's 32 of the babies here =)

danamania

Go to Top of Page

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  16:58:14
My first 68k Mac was a Quadra 700, I bought this after my family got an iMac. Replaced the POS 486 PC in my room. If you count Apple II's, I got an Apple //c, and loved it. I still have it, and use it occasionally.

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

radams
Starting Member

18 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  17:03:44
My first 68k was an LCIII. It was a decent machine, I don't know where it went, perhaps I can find it and liberate it someday.

68k Macs Liberated: 5 1/2(One's not working yet)Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  20:17:44
my first mac was a Performa 6200cd, I later liberated my first computer, a LC II

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  20:32:59
quote:

my first mac was a Performa 6200cd, I later liberated my first computer, a LC II

6200cd? ok, i guess that's older than some.

while i was waiting for my SE/Radius16/1/20 to arrive, i ended up buying a FatMac by accident, it was bundled with an imageiriter wc that i wanted for thunderscan/15" plotter paper compatibility, i ended up having macs at home and at work just days apart. fontographer on the 512k at home was a lot of fun, productive too.

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 20 Jan 2002 20:35:38Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  02:26:05
Well, back in the olden days the first Mac I used was a Portable, or Mac Luggable as they are more commonly known. As a result I have one arm longer than the other...but then i saw the light in the form of a PB140. That little thing cost me $1200 second hand! I got my money's worth though. It travelled with me to NZ and all 'round Australia. I did all my lighting designs on it with MacDraft, and created patch sheets and cues in Claris 3. The last show that Mac did was the BDO in Perth '96, however the WA heat finally got to it, the casing perished and cracked until finally gaffa tape couldn't hold it together anymore :( I sold it for parts last year, it brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. Poor little thing.

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  06:21:53
LC 575 in 1994: the family computer.
In 1999, I started buying my own, with an overpriced LC. I then got an LC II and Color Classic at auction, plus a Mac IIsi from my uncle. The rest, as they say, is history...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  21:06:48
The first older computer I used was my Dad's Quadra 800 from his place of work. In '96, it became the family computer.

My first liberated computer was the Powerbook 145, which once I get a new HD inside, will be 12/120 config.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  23:44:32
The first Macintosh I was introduced to was the Macintosh SE by my best friend Linn Davis who was like and still is the coolest guy. Ahh writing my school work on that thin in ClarisWorks, playing Lode Runner, Glider Pro, and Spectrum Challenge. This was how I spent 2 summers

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napoleon

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops
N.F.C Newton Force Captain
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  08:38:30
My first older Mac was an old Mac Plus. I was in the gifted program in our school district, and back then we were the ones that were introduced to computers. (This was back in grade two for me, so the year 1989 - computers hadn't taken off big yet.)
At different points, I got to play with two Mac Pluses, one Portable, one PowerBook 140, and a bunch of Color Classics, before Macs started getting phased-out in a big way by our district in the mid-1990s.

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  10:38:07
I take that back. My first Apple/Mac experience was with the Apple IIe at my school back when i was in like 2nd grade. In 4th grade I got the 6200 and the school got a bunch of used color classics (my 4th grade mind didn't realize that it had a floppy drive. i was used to the big exaggerated slot on the 6200)

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

macdaddy

USA
107 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  21:20:38
My first 68K was a IIci. I got it three years ago. It came with a 17" E-Machines T16 monitor [the monitor looks like a big block], with an E-Machines NuBus video card to drive it. It had 20 megs of RAM and a 230 MB hd. It was my secondary Mac, and i used it for most everything. I had it in my room, so I didn't have to hog the [then] fairly fast Performa 6360 from my siblings. I still have this thing, but I use it for a backup file server on the home Ethernet network. Currently I have several 68Ks at home. My LCIIIs, an LCII, a Quadra 700, and my brother got a Quadra 800 off eBay recently [it's not a pure 68K though, since he has the Power Mac upgrade card in it]. Oh yeah, and I have my Duo 280 here at college with me right now, but I don't have an AC adapter for her yet.

macdaddy
68K Macs liberated : 9

Edited by - macdaddy on 23 Jan 2002 21:25:52Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  14:39:39
My first "old" Mac experience was back in grade 3 when my teacher forced me onto an LCII one afternoon. Needless to say, after booting it up and having a play around, i wanted more. That Christmas, Dad wanted to get a computer for our family, in the form of a evil PC running Windows 3.1. I asked about a Macintosh and he said that he knew PCs so a PC would be better, and that there was this thing that makes it work like a Mac, and although it sounded good, i still didn't think it would be the same as having a real Mac. Turns out it wasn't. (Windows)

However, after getting Mum to persuade him to buy a Mac, since we used them at school, he went to the local Mac place, and we flipped through a few Apple brochures and an LCIII was soon on the way which i still use to this day.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  14:29:45
Well my first computer was a ZX-81. I was introduced to Macs late in life...about six years ago. I bought an Apple IIe at a garage sale and then was hooked. Then I found a MAC SE and felt really stupid lugging around a Compaq Transportable (about 47lbs) compared to those who toted their MAC Se's (17lbs) in the eighties. Right now I have settled on a network of PowerMacs and Quadras. There are seven working Macs in the collection, another ten in various states of disrepair or as I call it the "MAC STACK". My friends think I am nuts when I tell them of a new "toy" I found. Of course I have been collecting computers for years, but most of that stuff was CPM/86 vintage. I had a thing for 8 inch floppy disks...lol! I actually used some of these things in business during my years as a grocer and later as a broker. I remember when the "Electric Pencil" was a big deal.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  15:55:10
quote:

Well my first computer was a ZX-81.........Of course I have been collecting computers for years, but most of that stuff was CPM/86 vintage. I had a thing for 8 inch floppy disks...lol! I actually used some of these things in business during my years as a grocer and later as a broker. I remember when the "Electric Pencil" was a big deal.

I LOVE it, another dinosaur giving history lessons!
I'll throw in the links!
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=263
http://www.swordpoint.com/electric.htm
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=233

This is my Z-80 toy from Sir Clive, got it direct from Cambridge right after the 'Shopper article, waaaay before MacLite! I should probably add this to the tally sheet, it's a Mac (peripheral?)!
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~rakewell/z88/software/maclink.gif
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=279
I got it out of storage when I pulled BabyPB out for lead/acid maintenance and it's workin' fine!

jt: technosaur

Back again:Has anybody liberated a Laser128 or Outbound?
http://www.gondolin.org.uk/hchof/intros/laser128.html
http://tarnover.dyndns.org/Pics/Apple.Classic.Pics/A2.Clones/Laser128.jpg
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=13
laser.3000.A2.CLONE.GIF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 02 Feb 2002 16:06:08

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 02 Feb 2002 16:15:53Go to Top of Page

Rexzilla

132 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2002 :  17:57:16
Man, we are old dogs Trash...lol! I had a Model 100 portable maxed out to 32k ram:) I used it to keep track of direct deliveries to the stores. The 1000 A - 1000 TX were awful. They were full of patches, fixes and crippled sub-systems. I think the Model 100 was the last bit of honest work Bill Gates did, he did the basic rom for Tandy. There were so many platforms and weirdness back then. It was an exciting time in 8 bit land.
I did not fully appreciate the Apples until much later. They were so advanced for the time.
I remember we could toast cheese sandwiches on some of those early PC servers:)

Go to Top of Page

CPDC10-30
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2002 :  00:57:55
The first 68k Mac I used was the Plus which was popular in the educationa realm at the time. The first 68k that I've owned (and still own) is a Mac LC with the lovely form-fitting 12" RGB Display. I've just upgraded the harddrive and will be adding an ethernet card. I also have a Color Classic and PowerBook 180...but the LC is the only one I can play around with.

Every computer since then has been a PC...I've never used any Mac OS above 7.5.

Go to Top of Page

macaphile
Starting Member

USA
28 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  13:21:23
The PLus was also my first. came with a 20 meg HD. I new nothing about Macs when I got in 1995 for college. Eventually I ended up taking the finder out of the System folder and with no disks it went away. I miss that one!

"Holy crap! A Mac can do that!"-Every PC user I talk toGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2002 :  13:29:45
My first Mac experience was the Plus my dad bought new in 1986 with an ImageWriter for $2400.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 28 Feb 2002 :  14:25:27
MY first mac was a Mac SE. It came with OS 6.0.4
I got it at a garage sale.
I then later got an LC from my Uncle which I still use it to this day.

Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 24 Mar 2002 :  20:40:41
Well, this is almost a trick question, so I'll reply with a two part answer. First Mac I ever used was a Mac Plus at a neighbors house where the guy worked at one of those old "Apple Lab" stores. To get to the second part, My first Apple, a IIc, came from the same store earlier on. I was hooked ever since.

Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2002 :  12:30:24
To be a little different, I thought I'd revive an old post from when I first joined to mark my 100th post. It took me awhile to get here, but I've always been rather quite until I felt I had something to say

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Check out the new forum on the block at: http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2002 :  13:26:54
hmmmm

first computer?

first play I got was on an Atari 2600 console @ my cousins house. Then my brother got an Atari 800xl. I got experience of "all the usual suspects" at about the mid 2 late eighties as every kid had a different computer(spectrum, atari, amstrad, commodore), but no mac or pc yet!

My brother got an st & when I left home I followed suit.

I got the same joy learning the software side of the st as I have learning the hardware side of 68kmacs.

then the early nineties, macs lined educational establishments up & down the uk. Then the mid/late nineties I got to play on what may have been 68k or ppc. definitly the quacking duck era.

Then it all went ppc. the macs were unresponsive, they were hurled out & pc's appeared everywhere.

Then I bought my Quadra 840av back in February I think.

I bought it out of anger at pc. I lost my email access for two weeks because IE decided to play funny games with cookies.

I will go back to pc, cos I need to be able to use Gemulator. How can anyone exist without it?

my 840av was my first mac ever.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av 128MB ram 2MB vram cd drive(caddy),1 caddy!:-)1.44 floppy drive,inject :-(1.2 gig drive
2 monitors 15" & 14" os 8.1 56k modem Stylewriter 1200 Zodiac speakers Umax 1220s scanner
3 year old son!Go to Top of Page

OmegaMan
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts
Posted - 13 Sep 2002 :  20:24:19
I was collecting In-Circuit Emulators on Ebay a few years back and got a Nicolet 68k emulator. I was always a PC guy in my work, so I needed a machine to connect the unit to so I could develop 68k assembly language. So I got a Mac Classic motherboard on Ebay but that had a surface mount and not a DIP package. So I started keeping my eye open for a 512k Mac or earlier. Now I have a complete collection of all the original all-in-one Macs.
- A 128k including the original box, carrying case, printer, modem and documentation and everything Picasso I can get.
- A couple of 512k with a HD20
- A Plus with it's distinctive keyboard
- A SE with a 25Mhz Radius board
- A SE-30 Which is my fastest and best machine to use
- A Classic
- Two Classic II's

I love 'em all and have read the complete history of Apple.

The thing is...I never did get the emulator to work!

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  06:56:46
I got my first Mac when I was 5: a Mac SE that my dad brought home from the university to use for work. It had 4 MB RAM and a 20 MB HD. I played Shufflepuck, Tetris, SimAnt, the Manhole, and PGA Tour Golf on that machine. We got email through the university's text-only ISP. It was great. Five years later, I got a Mac IIsi that Dad brought home. I used it to play some games and type things for school. When I was 13, I bought a PowerMac 6100, and a year later, I bought a PowerMac 5400. I still have them all.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
OpenStep Page at http://openstep.topcities.com/
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

kastegir

USA
58 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  10:14:22
I got my first computer in 1983, I believe. It was a Timex Sinclair 1000. I had it hooked up to my black and white TV in my room and did some BASIC programming. I had been introduced to computers that year in school (Apple IIplus). The next year my school got Apple //e's. They were very cool. My parents bought one of the family about a year later. I kept that //e (and later upgraded the motherboard to a //GS) until about 1989, when I was in college.

My first exposure to the Mac was in about 1986. A friend of mine had a 512k and I got to play with it a little. I wasn't too impressed. 2 years later, when I was a sophmore in college, my suitemate (2 connected rooms in the dorm) brought his Mac Plus to the scene. Now I was impressed. It was much cooler than my //GS. I ended up getting an Amiga 2000 instead, but I got an Amax board, so I could run Mac software. Eventually, I abandoned the Amiga and went Mac. I've never looked back. I got an SE/30 and that started the real fun.

Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  18:45:27
quote:

Back again:Has anybody liberated a Laser128 or Outbound?

I had one of those... even had the expansion box. Unfortunately, it got lost in the move to our current house. :(

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  19:00:47
Ooh, where to start...

Learned to program in high school (1977) on a tty linked to the IBM 370 at the local community college.

First computer of my own was a ZX-81 in 1982. Went from there to a used TRS-80 model 1 then to a (then-new) Tandy 1000 (no stinking -A) in '85.

As for Macs... I can recall a coworker and I going to the local TransNet computer store to look at the 128K Mac. Vague memory of playing with MacPaint and the Scrapbook, editing a picture of a robot. (Anybody got that one somewhere?)

First real exposure to the Mac would not be until 1993 when my office inherited a Plus as part of some equipment from a closed office. I definately had been working with non-intuitive OS's (Unix and MS-DOS) for too long... I tried to read the manual to figure out how to format a floppy since I couldn't find a format program anywhere. :)

Ended up getting two problematic Plus's being tossed by the same company about a year later. (Usual analog board problems.) Build one from two (still have it somewhere around here). Since then, I've ben upgrading at about the rate of a generation a year. The progression went something like:

Plus
SE
IIx
IIfx
Q610
PowerCenter w/225 604e
G3 Upgrade for above
7500 with same G3 upgrade (current main Mac)

Along the way, I've also had a SE/30, IIci, PB170, 660AV, 840AV, a couple of Duo models, 630, 5500, and a PB 5300. Still have most of those, though a couple are in storage.

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  05:13:55
First Mac at work was an SE in 1987; after looking stupidly at DOS screens on a PC-XT for a couple of years, it was a revelation: here was a PICTURE that showed WHERE everything was in your computer! And then I discovered PageMaker. . . .!

Had to give up the SE when I left the job, so got a used one with a 20mHz accelerator (a 'screamer' said Kris, the dealer I bought it from), which became my trusty R2D2 for several years; then a IIfx. . . . Still have them, and they still work (still looking for some RAM for the IIfx, BTW).

The first computer we brought home was a Tandy 1000EX, a really junky machine suitable only for games for kids (still have it, in basement--any bids?). Then I brought in an SE, and the kids took to that like ducks to water, graduating eventually to a IIci (still have that, too).

/Mr Lynn

Curator of: SE (6.0.4), SE w. 020 accelerator (6.0.8), SE w. no HD, IIfx (7.1), IIci (bad HD); plus various PPCs in family (blue G3/350 is main Mac these days).Go to Top of Page

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  17:34:55
My first exposure to a Mac was at my place of summer employment as a university student in 1987. It was a Mac SE with a 20 inch B&W monitor. I used to use all of my lunch hours to play on that lovely computer.

In 1990 I took a graphics class at a local college but they required students to bring their own Macs to class - I ended up buying a used SE/30 with 8 MBRAM for $1200 CDN from a friend's brother. That was pretty good in the day! (biggest mistake ever was selling that computer).

I've been hooked on Macs ever since that SE/30. I don't know about others but there is something about vintage macs that I find appealing. Maybe it is just remembering a simpler computing experience or the feeling that those macs had a little bit of "soul"

Favourite 68K macs in the collection are
- IIfx (LOVE this computer)
- IIci (with an 040 upgrade card)
- Quadra 840AV
- SE/30
- Color Classic (with the 575 logic board upgrade)

Kami

Go to Top of Page

dunbar

USA
87 Posts
Posted - 24 Sep 2002 :  09:00:05
Mac was my first GUI: in 1992 I was at work when they handed me a Mac Plus, 4 megs, System 6.0.5 w/Multifinder, Excel 3.0.
ooooooooooooh.

I was hooked.

Then came my personal collection...
add 2 pluses
add 1 Q605
add 1 SE
add 2 more pluses
- Q605 (a freebie Micropolis full height 9 gig hard disk had damaged power connector, I hooked the power into it the wrong way.... poof went the Q605 SCSI and a new 8x CDROM drive as well)
- 1 plus (had wiggly screen, sacrificed it for parts)
add 1 SE/30
add IIcx
- IIcx (no power up, no memory, no hard disk, why bother)
add Performa 400
add LCII
- IILC (too lame for me, parts)
add LC575
- LC575 (too lame for me, parts)
add LC
- LC (too lame for me, parts)
add Pmac7500 (gotta have at least one PPC)
add PB520C
add Q950
add Q650

More to come.Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  16:44:09
I have been married to Mac for almost as long as I have been married to my wife. In March 1984, after 5 months of marriage, I took my wife to the local university outlet of Apple computers. There, I showed her the coolest computer ever -- a machine that you could just sit down and use without having to conjure up a litany of magic incantations. She echoed my enthusiasm. Thus, we mustered our meager savings (earmarked for a much planned and eagerly anticipated spring break trip to Cancun Mexico) to buy a Mac.

It was only a Mac 128k with an Imagewriter I, but we loved it. Overall, we were pretty frugal and did not buy many accessories for it. Although we did buy a box of 10 Genuine, Authentic, Official Apple 400k disks for $34! (To think that one can now buy a 5-pack of DVD-R for the same price).

That little computer was responsible for many a term paper, resume, and job letter. It got us invited to the America's Cup spectator fleet in 87 and helped me do optical design work. It even served my wife well when she started her own business in 1987. Our 128k only created one spot of grief in its long years of service. One day in 1986, it irretrievably ate one of my wife's class reports. I tried using Diskedit to retrieve some of the bytes of text data, but the file was truly hosed. She dropped the class.

We never upgraded "LittleMac" to a FatMac or MegaMac. I did a little ResEdit hacking to change icons and to alter few of the menu items and dialog entries. Years later, when the video board died, we had it serviced and discovered that the case had signatures inside it.

Currently, the computer is enjoying its well-earned retirement. The external floppy port does not work anymore (and, yes I tried a different floppy drive with it... maybe a fresh PRAM battery would do the trick?). Nonetheless we will cherish it forever and occasionally boot the machine just to hear the rumbling music of the internal floppy drive (rrrrr-RRRRR-rrrr).

Ahhhhh! Good Times!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 26 Sep 2002 :  19:34:11
Ahh, those were the days, the first Mac I got my mitts on was my boss' SE/30 - I was smitten almost instantly. Two days later I was the proud owner of a Classic 2/40. I later upgraded it to 4 MB ram and bought a StyleWriter I. I took it all to Australia, where I lived for nine months. Back home in the states, the SW died but the Classic is still plugging along, it now has an 80 Mb HD in it and its running System 7.5. I'll never stop using a Mac.

"OOOH, AHHH, What is this thing? - OH, We gotta do somthing like that.." BG's first reaction to a LisaGo to Top of Page

Bugsi
Starting Member

USA
38 Posts
Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  16:13:13
My uncle loaned me a Mac 512K with dual external 400K floppy drives and a daisy wheel Brother printer. I used it in 1989 to write engineering papers in college from my apartment, while my roommate had to trudge cross-campus to use some crappy PC word processor.

The first Mac I bought was a Classic II for $1029 brand new, with the 40 meg hard drive. I replaced it a couple years later with an LCIII, and replaced that with a discarded IIfx. (Yeah, someone discarded a IIfx back in 1993!) Then I got a PowerBook 190cs and later a Duo 2300c with a Dock+. That was my mainstay until I got an 8100, then an 8500. Those served me well until this year when I bought a Beige G3 and just this week I ordered a new 17" flat panel iMac.

The PowerBook 190cs still does duty as a NAT router, using a PCMCIA ethernet card and a Focus Enhancements dual video out + eternet internal card. The Duo 2300c does duty as a MIDI librarian and MIDI sequencer. I still own all of my Macs, and along the way also picked up an SE FDHD, an SE/30, a IIx, a IIci. Recently I put a Quadra 605 motherboard and a full-blown 040 chip (with coprocessor) into the LCIII along with an ethernet card and a bigger hard drive. I might turn her into a web server.

Go to Top of Page

triumph_larry

USA
54 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  08:39:51
I first saw the Mac Plus (or 128) in the Philadelphia Museum of Art, they had a row set up with Mac Paint and everyone could have a go. I thought that it was a pretty advanced machine (considering I had a TRS-80 model 3 at the time that wasn't too hard to surpass). I remember being mesmerized by the Marching Ants.

So my computers in order of aquaintenance:

TRS-80 model 3
Mac SE FDHD/20 (bought when I started at Drexel University for engineering)
Performa something-or-other (from the first batch of performas, looked like a 7500)
Newton
PowerMac 7500 (after owning that performa I thought it was really cool that i could just rotate sections out of the way to get to the ram, no more skinned knuckles reseating ram)
Duo 250
G4-400
Grey/White Clamshell iBook 466
G4 Powerbook
SE-30
Duo280c

In hindsight I guess I've liberated three machines, make that four as there is a Performa 6320CD sitting on my desk networked to my duo (this setup is an exercise in patience as i just finished copying all 100megs of Dark Forces over to it).

Edited by - triumph_larry on 03 Oct 2002 08:48:16Go to Top of Page

ehurtley

USA
63 Posts
Posted - 03 Oct 2002 :  11:27:18
First Mac I used: Macintosh Plus. They were brand new donations to the local Museum of Science and Industry, and were mostly used to play NetTrek.

First Mac I regularly used: Macintosh SE. My high school got a whole computer lab of them, all AppleTalked together, in five rows. One Apple ImageWriter II per row, and one LaserWriter for the whole lab. They were SE 2/20s, with those lovely MiniScribe drives. (Ah, how I wish I had a MiniScribe for my SE. To me, THAT is the sound of a Macintosh.) All of the SEs were named after figures from Greek mythology, with each row having a differnt starting letter. (A, B, C, D, E, and H. My favorite was Hephestaus.) We used the program facade to give each one a different icon for its hard drive.

We also got a lab of SE dual floppy models, non-networked, in our drafting lab. I still have my disk. System 6.0.5 with MacDraft on one floppy, and all my drawings on a second floppy. (Including a little one that could be printed and folded into a little Macintosh SE. At my reunion, my drafting teacher still had my original one sitting on his desk!)

Later, an SE/30 was added as the main lab's file and application server, then a IIci was added with a OneScanner and a CD-ROM drive. Our lab director owned a Macintosh Portable, which was by far the coolest computer any of us had ever seen.

Finally, my senior year, after an expansion to our school, we got a second computer lab, this one filled with IIsi's with grayscale 13" monitors running that newfangled System 7. That year, I also became an assistant editor in our yearbook, where I learned to run PageMaker on a couple SE/30s. Right at the end of the year, we got a brand-spankin' new Quadra to run PageMaker on, and we all fought to use that one.

After high school, I went a few years without a Macintosh (my dad had bought a PC back in 1986, and even though his work went to Macintosh, we kept PCs at home.) Then, in college, my dad (who was the person who ordered computers at his work) gave me a PowerBook 5300c that his work was throwing away. (They had just bought a lot of new Macs, then management decided to get rid of all Macintoshes, and apparently it was so hard to go through the paperwork to donate them, that my dad ended up just giving most of them away, or keeping them.) That reintroduced me to the Macintosh, and after college, I started collecting. I still have that original PB5300c, and have gotten myself a Plus, SE, SE/30, IIci, IIsi, and all the old crew, to remind me of "the good ol' days."

Proud Liberator of over 25 Macintoshes!Go to Top of Page

bearhugs28

USA
117 Posts
Posted - 05 Oct 2002 :  14:31:41
My first mac was a bunch i found on the landfill, it was an Centris 650, Quadra 610, 14' color monitor, two keyboards, external CD romdrive, external 800K floppy drive, no mice, no cables. Loaded everything on the truck and brought it home where i hooked the monitor to both macs and surprise! they both worked. In the meantime i've got the Centris running with help of my neighbour who's a macguy.
Running OS 8.1 on it, still need stuff to get the Quadra running 9ADB cable, mouse and monitor). Now i want an powermac like the 6100 or so.

Bert

Total 68K Macs liberated 2
Quadra 610 running Debian Linux (almost)
Centris 650 running OS 8.1Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.