PowerBook
 Powerbook Duo Setups..
Author Topic  
Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  02:02:46
Hi,

In my search to find something to replace my PB180c, I have come accros (well, in reality looked into more detail) regarding the Powerbook Duo's. I find the Powerbook 280c especially interasting.

Yes, I know it has the same clock speed, and uses a FPU-Less 68040, but I very much like the portability the Duos's have, espically compared to the PB180c.

So Im thinking a Floppy adaptor and a floppy, since I odnt have any other perihperals. Do you guys think this will be alright for someone who only wants to do some light wordprocessing, and mabye a couple of old games.

Plus, what do you think of Clarisworks 3?

On another not, could a Quicktake 100 be connect to a bare Duo 280c?

Edited by - Fedorenko on 28 Mar 2003 02:21:36

Edited by - Fedorenko on 28 Mar 2003 02:32:16

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  08:30:41
quote:

So Im thinking a Floppy adaptor and a floppy, since I don't have any other perihperals. Do you guys think this will be alright for someone who only wants to do some light wordprocessing, and mabye a couple of old games.

Plus, what do you think of Clarisworks 3?

. . . could a Quicktake 100 be connect to a bare Duo 280c?

The serial port should work fine for the QT100,AFAIK. Duos work great with CWK3 (even the 230 runs CWK4 creditably) and it should be a lot of fun as a portable for your described uses if you recell a bat or two for it.

If you score a MiniDock it'll make a great LCD/CRT 2 screen worstation at home too. You won't have a constant battle with an internal modem for the use of the accursed combo serial port using a MiniDock as it has BOTH the P&M ports as well as SCSI for that PowerCD in your future!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  02:27:33
An FPUless 040 (it is an 040 right?) should run OS8 and Claris, or AppleWorks 5 great.... (course I've only done it with 36 MB of RAM...)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 Apr 2003 :  03:25:51
quote:

An FPUless 040 (it is an 040 right?) should run OS8 and Claris, or AppleWorks 5 great.... (course I've only done it with 36 MB of RAM...)

Official MLA TourGuide

Yeah, OS 8.1 and AppleWorks 5 run great on my FPUless LC475 with 36 megs of RAM. There's no reason it shouldn't run nicely given enough RAM.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 17 Apr 2003 :  22:32:45
quote:

Yeah, OS 8.1 and AppleWorks 5 run great...

AppleWorks 5? i thought it was called ClarisWorks 5.. that's the version i have.. maybe it's just a later version.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  02:03:20
I have always been considering getting myself the PowerPC duo and one of those full docks... I like the way the setup looks... or something...

with the floppy on the side it loooks like a sun workstation

A micro/floppydock should work OK for you if you need to transfer files that way... other than that you'll need a scsi cd drive to load programs, or floppies

Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

gdogkzo

147 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  20:00:21
I have a Duo 270c I could sell you. Same speed as a 280 except its an 030 and has a FPU!. Not sure about the quicktake. Has a battery that does around 2 hours, Floppy Dock (no drive) and Ethernet Microdock. It has a high speed 500MB SCSI Hard Drive, 32MB RAM (max) and a Power Adapter. Also have a Dock II. I would want a fair amount for it, so make me a offer if interested. to keep this from getting more O.T., please email me geoff_doctor@NOSPAMameritech.net (take out NOSPAM)
Geoff

Go to Top of Page

fabriziovenerandi
Starting Member

8 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2003 :  08:52:25
I use a duo 270c everyday.
You can use easly corelwordperfect, or many 68k cross-platform programs, like newtricks or ledit, to share files with other os easly.

f.

Go to Top of Page

Very_Itchy_Rash
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  14:49:21
One of these days I'll post the number of Macs saved, gave away and own; but for now- enjoy the wealth of knowledge I'm going to dump on you guys.

I own every model of the Duo made :) , so running newr software meant for PowerPC is not a problem for me...

The problem lies when you start using FAT programs (as you know- programs that has both 68K and PowerPC code in them). These programs, even the OSes, tend to run slow no matter what you do to adjust memory, heap size, etc.

Answer: PowerPCheck FAT

This little program, when executed properly, will strip the offending PowerPC code, leaving pure 68K. Doing this does 2 things: 1) Shrinks the size of the program in question at almost 1/2 or more (some cases- up to 75%!), and 2) The Code runs a lot faster!!! (It does not have to skip over PowerPC codes, which takes away precious clock cycles).

After doing this- run Norton Speed Disk or some other utility to free up the lost space that the PowerPC code took up, and then 1)You computer Boots up faster and 2)applications loads faster.

Only then, will you see the true power of a 68K Mac :)

But you need to do this stripping to both to the files in the system folder and your applications.

I agree BTW- the 270 and the 280 are nearly identical per-say; other than the '040s internal cache, there is no other difference between the two machines, not even in speed. Only difference is the ability of running OS8, and even that can be tricked to run on a Duo270.

Edited by - Very_Itchy_Rash on 06 May 2003 14:52:15

Edited by - Very_Itchy_Rash on 06 May 2003 14:53:35Go to Top of Page

Very_Itchy_Rash
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  14:58:12
quote:

quote:

Yeah, OS 8.1 and AppleWorks 5 run great...

AppleWorks 5? i thought it was called ClarisWorks 5.. that's the version i have.. maybe it's just a later version.

Claris Relase v5.0 before Apple finally bought out the comapny (again) and re-released it as AppleWorks 5. Very little code was changed other than every mention of "Claris" was replaced by "Apple".
A couple of years later Apple release Applework 6, which seems to still work with the older units, but much slower.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  15:18:15
IIRC, it was the 5.0.3 updater that changed my current ClarisWorks app to AppleWorks.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 06 May 2003 15:20:13Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  20:29:48
I got a boxed copy of AppleWorks 5... ClarisWorks 5 is on my iMac install CD iThink... maybe that was appleworks 5 also.... (wishing I had my CDs)

Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2003 :  19:45:31
I have a copy of Appleworks 5 also.
But, I would just like to say this:

I just bought gdogkzo's duo! hehehehehhe. I cant wait till it arrives!

Recently Rescued from Deep within Enemy Lines:
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2003 :  20:18:36
w00t! Have fun!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.