LC / Performa
 LC630 is being weird...
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  18:26:38
Recently my LC630 has been acting very weird. Sometimes i can be using the computer when all of a sudden power is cut to the machine, and i lose everything i was doing at the time. It also does it with the machine idle sometimes. I've ditched all the Energy Saving control panels (My 630 can't sleep, so whats the use?) and it still does it occasionally. Does anyone know whats going on here?

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  19:45:36
quote:

Recently my LC630 has been acting very weird. Sometimes i can be using the computer when all of a sudden power is cut to the machine, and i lose everything

Open every access panel, drawer, the front bezel, TV-Tuner card, everything, but the top plate. Vacuum/blow/sweep/dust/chip off the vast quantities of crud that have collected out of the machine any way you can. If it still seems filthy, pull the top plate and blow all the dust out of the PSU, from under the drive bays and around the remote control receiver and out of every nook and cranny of the most efficient air cleaner ever to emegerge from cupertino.

Reassemble and report status of symptoms.

jt

btw: does the PB100 work yet?

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  19:48:43
don't blow with your mouth - use a can of compressed air (jt wasn't too specific about that

also, try replacing the power cable

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  20:44:02
quote:

don't blow with your mouth - use a can of compressed air (jt wasn't too specific about that

also, try replacing the power cable

jt wasn't too specific
ASSumed min. req. 2B 5 hp Craftsman Air Compressor, you wouldn't believe what those 630 boxes ingest and............*see footnote

thanks for tip, now 1 more 1st thing to check, but roto-root 630's regularly anyway.

for sage advice and unbelievable resource listings see:
The Guru's Lair
http://www.tinaja.com/

for the seminal volume on troubleshooting download:

http://www.tinaja.com/glib/degub.pdf

WARNING: do not peruse this incredible feat of technical writing while eating, drinking or suffering from headach, nausea or a full bladder.

my humble suggestion: download, print and tape copies on bottom of every mac in collection. 2 pages .pdf **

jt

*Never had a power cable failure, Tech guy for neolithic lettercutting workstation company once told friend of a friend that dust was the most common cause of deat.........

** Warning and suggestion above are MILD exaggeration only, NOT HYPERBOLE! Really, "Trust me! Ha, Ha!". (quote from?)

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  22:26:39
quote:

*Never had a power cable failure, Tech guy for neolithic lettercutting workstation company once told friend of a friend that dust was the most common cause of deat.........

I've had cables that flat out didn't work / only work sometimes. It happens

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  16:44:49
quote:
I've had cables that flat out didn't work / only work sometimes. It happens

I for one, have never had a power cable failure. PowerBook AC adapters, on the other hand...

But seriously, i did try another power cable. Sometime i gotta pull that thing back apart and give it a good clean! (Methinks the PSU may be a good cantidate for the vaccy). Most of the time it only does it when i'm not using it, in the morning, though yesterday at about 10:55 it did it as it was launching iCab. Could i have a dying power button on my keyboard? (In which case i better join the "Apple Extended KeyBoard II Fan Club"...got an AppleDesign keyboard on my 630 at the moment)

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  16:46:39
OK, i pulled the thing to bits, opened up the power supply and took a vacuum cleaner to the board in there. I also did the edge connector inside the front that mates with the logic board connector when the logic board is installed, in case there was a bit of dust in there that was occasionally stopping a pin from making contact. Put it back together, started up, and it cut the power to the Mac as it was about to start the Finder. Took me a few hits of the power key, but it rebooted and its still going. (I'm typing this on it now) So we'll just see how it goes.

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  18:08:26
quote:

OK, i pulled the thing to bits.....but it rebooted and its still going. (I'm typing this on it now) So we'll just see how it goes.

Good luck, many times pulling everything apart and putting it back together will fix a problem with an intermittent connection failure. When my dad was with IBM in the sixties they used to call it "reseating the boards", which was part of the crud removal process. I don't know if there's a thermal cutout on the 630's, but it was worth a try. How much crud was in the box? I'm still dying to hear about the PB100, does it work at all? It sounded from one post like it worked in SCSI Disk Mode.

jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  23:55:49
Well, i've been using it for a few days now, and the 630 is up to its old tricks again.

Btw, the 100 still doesn't work as a PowerBook, but it works fine as a hard drive, so i'm using it to temporarily boot my 630 while it waits for an ethernet card to fill its Comms slot

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.