All Forums
 PowerBook
 iMac <---> Powerbook, How can I do it?
Author Topic  
mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  13:38:05
Hi, I have an iMac 333 and PB 140. I'd like to transfer simple files between the two of them but both are closed systems and I'm a student on a budget. Although I have noticed that my PB and iMac both a have a modem.

Can I transfer files between the two via their modems?.

Thanks

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, SE 4/40, Classic II 4/40, IIx 8/160, IIvi 8/260, PB 170 8/80, LC 475 20/160, LC 575 ?/160, Quadra 650 32/260, iMac 333 160/6G

How you like d'em apples?!

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  13:49:45
quote:

Hi, I have an iMac 333 and PB 140. I'd like to transfer simple files between the two of them but both are closed systems and I'm a student on a budget. Although I have noticed that my PB and iMac both a have a modem.

Can I transfer files between the two via their modems?.

Thanks

------------------
PowerCD, SE 4/40, Classic II 4/40, IIx 8/160, IIvi 8/260, PB 170 8/80, LC 475 20/160, LC 575 ?/160, Quadra 650 32/260, iMac 333 160/6G

How you like d'em apples?!

I thought null modem transfers were only on pcs... do you have a floppy drive for the imac?
Also you could upload the file to a server and download it on the pb.
Also you could email it to yourself .

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  14:10:33
quote:

I thought null modem transfers were only on pcs... do you have a floppy drive for the imac?
Also you could upload the file to a server and download it on the pb.
Also you could email it to yourself .

Null modem transfers work fine if you have an old comms program, but they use cables without the actual modems so you're stuck for the iMac. If you have two phone lines you can do it with the phone company as a hub, tho!

They used to have boxes that would let you use a Fax Machine as a scanner without phone lines in between, that might work.

Does anybody know anything about making a circuit to emulate a phone line in order to transcieve a modem's tones to/from the speaker/microphone contacts in a handset or better yet, a headset jack?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 23 Mar 2003 15:27:24Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  14:59:21
You can easily go modem-to-modem without the phone company by building a "phone company emulator." It's just a resistor, battery and capacitor. For short-term transfers, you can sometimes even get by with a single 9V battery, although two in series is recommended for higher reliability. Choose a resistor to give you about 20mA short circuit current (R=V/I), and select a capacitor on the order of 1 microfarad (its precise value is not critical).

For details, and a schematic in glorious ascii, see http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  15:58:31
quote:

You can easily go modem-to-modem without the phone company by building a "phone company emulator."

For details, and a schematic in glorious ascii, see http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html

Great link, I especially liked the link to info on intercoms.

Over on 'fritter, they were talking about hacking a cordless phone/base station as a low end "airport" unit to use a dialup connection for browsing from an old powerbook. You wouldn't have any links for that kind of thing, would you? Some of the wireless sets have headphone jacks and it would be a rip to be able to plug a Duo's modem into one side of a circuit and plug a headset jack from there into the wireless phone for blazing 14.4 browsing.

Might be very cool pluged into my cellular phone's headset jack in the park tho!

AmericaOffLineOutDoors!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  16:34:52
Does one of your '040s or Mac IIs have a working ethernet card? What I do when i want to hook one of my 68ks or my 1400 up to the iMac, is to have the iMac hooked up to the 630's ethernet card, and the old Mac hooked up to the 630, and run Apple LocalTalk Bridge on the LC630, basically allowing the 630 to function as a LocalTalk Bridge from the old Mac to the iMac.

Hope this helps!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  06:25:55
I'll use the computer that has the MOST conceviable kinds of connections as a server. this way, I upload files from my [mac without ethernet] and download them to my [mac that only has ethernet]
Same as ML5 pretty much

no, I don't think you can do the modem thing... a 'virtual phone company' as described would probably need to have alot more than 9v. There's nothing to tell modem #2 that modem #1 wants to talk to it. I wonder if there's a place where one can build an inexpensive virtual phone company because I've always wanted that.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

theannihilator
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  14:54:47
I use a powerbook scsi/dock adapter to connect my pb 180 to my performa 6200CD. The adapter is a HDI30M-DB25F, there s aslo the duo dock adapter(which also works with other pbs) that is a HDI30M-C36F. The cable that you want for the first adapter is a regular computer to computer parallel cable(DB25-DB25M cable) and the cable you want for the other adapter (the duo adapter) is a normal printer cable that you use with a mac/pc. There is no need to modifications to both of the macs just as long as you start the computer the host computer first and the docked computer second (there is a scsi termination prob in most of the pb models) and you have the adapter set to dock(the scsi option is for you to connect ext scsi devices [cd-roms, modems, etc, etc...]).

Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 17 May 2003 :  19:49:15
I would have to ask you this, how much is your budget? Also does your powerbook have an ethernet port? All you would have to do is get an RJ-45 to AAUI Ethernet tranciver, and a cross over cable and you good. Just mount the 68k's hd on your iMac and drag and drop your files. All in all this would probably set you back around, 17 bucks max.

Recently Rescued from Deep within Enemy Lines:
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4

Edited by - Christophillis on 17 May 2003 19:50:26Go to Top of Page

fabriziovenerandi
Starting Member

8 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  09:56:45
the cheapest way to share files is to connect the imac modem to the pb modem with a simple telephone cable. After you put ZTERM in each computer, and write ATA on the first one, and ATD0 on the second one. When you get the CONNECT text, you can share files using z-modem. Remember to set 8N1 and the right speed for the modem you are using.

f.

Go to Top of Page

theannihilator
Starting Member

3 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2003 :  15:43:30
The only reason I use a comp-to-comp parallel cable to connect my powerbook to my performa is because i recieved the cable for free.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 27 Aug 2003 :  19:52:09
Dumb question, i know, but does anyone know if that phone company emulator will work on aussie modems? It should, but i was just wondering if anyone else has tried it.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 28 Aug 2003 :  18:55:27
This may be a stupid question, but if I set both computers to "null modem" in the Modem control panel can I bypass the no dial tone situation?.

------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 28 Sep 2003 :  10:37:54
Okay I have another option I suppose. I have a phoneline into my room and highspeed internet into my mac. Is there anyway I can get the Powerbook to call the iMac?. The modem-to-modem didn't work for me.

Thanks.

------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.