68k Conquests
 The Technicolor-Compact is mine!!!
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  17:41:26
Okay you guys are gonna hate me. I just got a Quadra 840av from the thrift store I found in Burbank, and today I decided to stop by again just for kicks. What did i find this time? Yep, you guessed it, a Color Classic.

The case is in typical ex-elementary-school bad shape, with the name of the school scrawled with something hot and pointy in the top of the case. It's all around dirty and yellowed in spots, so after I take the case apart and clean it I'm going to, yep, spray paint it black.

It does power on but the OS crashes before it gets to the desktop, even with extentions off. It doesn't matter at this point, though, as I'm probably going to head back to the thrift shop to nab one of the Performa 550's they had to swap the Mobo. I would have already but I didn't have enough cash on me.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I got it for $19.47 out the door. They wanted $25+ tax fgor it, but i managed to talk them down.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 6
Visit my site!

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  19:14:09
I HATE YOU, CINEMAFIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*runs backstage and grabs a nearby fire axe, then runs after cinemafia, wielding the fire axe*

(Oh, and if any of you have any idea where that story comes from, post it. I know already, but...)

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  19:26:53
Heh heh, don't recognize it offhand, but it suits the situation well.

I'm now trying to decide how I should upgrade the bugger. The Perf. 550 Mobo is pretty obvious, but then I could also go Perf. 575 and have 68MB of RAM and swap in a full 040 chip. I don't think I'm going to bother with any radical hacks like the Cube G4, or even a PPC accelerator. I want to keep it 68k, but otherwise take it as far as it can go.

666th poster to the

Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  20:10:35
I was going to swap in a 575 mobo into my CC..that is until the screen kicked the bucket

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  13:20:42
quote:

I was going to swap in a 575 mobo into my CC..that is until the screen kicked the bucket

followed link to way cool MacAquarium........considered suggesting that a swing out (horizontal, but portrait better/driver permitting) CompactMac//pizzaBox/Duo/Dock/PowerBook/?????/... *gasp*..... Hybrid/LCDpanel/MacAquatic/FunctionalWordProcessor........alternative to the nasty tank.......(real fish and wouldn't give you a headache for this rev.)...........................*and practiced restraint and stress reduction breathing technique*............

*....what was I............!*

DOA CC would be perfect chassis! straight sides! column motif! sleek upright look! ADB peripheral expectation!

*breathe...restraint.....at least try........&^*&^%*&^%*

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 Jan 2002 13:22:29

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 19 Jan 2002 13:28:08Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  09:09:43
Yeah, I think I'm going to go for a 575 Mobo and then get a full 040 and a heat sink to swap into it. Also, I've been searching through a lot of the various CC info sites, but I'm still not sure whether the internal monitor will support 640x480? And, if so, does it require a hardware or software hack to do so? Or is it better to just find a 10" CRT that supports 640x480 already?

666th poster to the

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  09:31:24
It's a high-voltage hardware hack to get the CC screen to 640x480.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  10:06:44
quote:

It's a high-voltage hardware hack to get the CC screen to 640x480

~~
What he said!
jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  10:24:27
Ahhh okay, thanks. I'm investigating some alternative 10" CRT's, in that event.

Holy crap, check this one out! I'm wondering...a 575 Mobo can hold 1MB of VRAM, and I think that might just push 1024x768 @ 8-bit...? Of course, I'd probably have to set the system font to 24 point just to read anything...

666th poster to the

Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 21 Jan 2002 10:32:45Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  11:15:22
quote:

Holy crap.... I'm wondering...a 575 Mobo can hold 1MB of VRAM, and I think that might just push 1024x768 @ 8-bit...? Of course, I'd probably have to set the system font to 24 point just to read anything...

Did the Lisa have a 10" or a 12" screen (12" rings/tinkles a teeny-tiny-bell somewh.......), but I won't bid against you on THIS one. I had a friend offer to get the first Duo MiniDock that appeared *he's already an auction maniac and i still don't really want to get star......*, nobody bid-met-res-whatever so it was reasonably priced offline.

jt =8-}

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  11:52:59
Okay, okay, here's the plan I'm sticking too...

LC 575 Mobo, 1x 64MB 72-pin RAM SIMM (thus, 68MB of RAM), 2x 512k VRAM SIMMs (thus, 1MB of VRAM), Internal 2.1GB hard drive, LC PDS RJ-45 ethernet card and (the kicker) an internal Zip100 drive in place of the floppy!

I'm still debating whether I want to try the hardware hack on the existing CRT or transplant a 10" SVGA into it. The 575, even with 1MB of VRAM, will only push 640x480 (@ a clean 16-bit, though!), according to Apple. However, I'm still not certain whether this is a property of the Mobo's video output or a limitation of the 14" CRT that came inside the 575...?

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  12:33:39
quote:

I'm still debating whether I want to try the hardware hack on the existing CRT or transplant a 10" SVGA into it. The 575, even with 1MB of VRAM, will only push 640x480 (@ a clean 16-bit, though!), according to Apple. However, I'm still not certain whether this is a property of the Mobo's video output or a limitation of the 14" CRT that came inside the 575...?

Ken Ward's v1.2 Jan.96 Mac CPU Table lists the 475's max-res as 640x480, I have always found this ref to be more comprehensive on video than the Apple TIL. If anyone is aware of a more recent rev. or a similar ref., I'd like to hear about it.

Request for specs: In an earlier thread I had suggested investigating the possibility of transplanting a 630 formfactor mobo. I scanned (eyeballed) all the volumes available at the B&NTechRefLib downtown and remain curious about the relative mobo size/connector-wire harness/PSU/drawer dimension etc. I hope you've liberated a 630 form-factor mobo drawer, didn't spot any on your talley.

TYIA
jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  10:00:28
Actually, there was a uadra 630 sitting at the thrift store next to my office for weeks and I let it go. I just didn't think I'd need it! Not to worry, though, as there's another at the thrift store where I got the CC and the 840av.

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  10:11:34
quote:

Actually, there was a uadra 630 sitting at the thrift store next to my office for weeks and I let it go. I just didn't think I'd need it! Not to worry, though, as there's another at the thrift store where I got the CC and the 840av.

If you find a DOA CC, or Lisa (or two, of those as I suspect would have to be the case) grab-em! I'm just about ready to send you a saw-buck on spec. you seem to be quite a scrounger! Anyhoo, I've got some whacky mods in mind that don't involve much more than case & chassis.

good hunting, comrade,
check six!
jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  10:23:16
I suspect my only luck in finding a Lisa in any state of health would be to drive up to Cupertino and start digging through the local landfills...

But I will keep my eyes out for another CC, even if a broken one!

666th poster to the

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  10:46:07
quote:

I suspect my only luck in finding a Lisa in any state of health would be to drive up to Cupertino and start digging through the local landfills...

actually i do believe they are buried in oregon landfills

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  11:20:06
Oh great, I have to drive even further!

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  11:55:30
quote:

Oh great, I have to drive even further!

sorry about the drive cine', as far as the 630 mobo goes.....
It's been done, old hat (a FreeeeaaaakinAwsome/K.A.10 sized chapeau to be sure), but I quickly found some more mods to throw into the mix, I'm definitely going to have "to think outside tha box" to compete with *sincerely flatter/steal from* with this guy). but Stuart B's intro appeals to me for some reason and his PPC-PCI-CC mod is a masterful on so many levels, that I'm still in shock (incredibly jealous!).
http://glowsoft.com/sfs/pcc/slide_big.jpg
http://glowsoft.com/sfs/pcc/board_big.jpg
http://glowsoft.com/sfs/pcc/

IT'S NOT JUST ME! There are other certifiable mod-maniacs in the world!
This is the shot that got me:
http://homepages.tesco.net/~macaddict/CDinCCpics/CDinSlot.JPG

The whole page is fascinating, but I wanted to share the impact of my first impression with the linked 'peg above.... killer!
http://homepages.tesco.net/~macaddict/CompendCD.html

This is the link I found on AppleFritter that led to all of these finds (if these links are old news to the vets, tfb, lotsa new boots been comin' outta the paneling).
http://homepages.tesco.net/~macaddict/PowerCC.html

Misc. personal fav's (ramifications to be considered at a later date) one has great doc links
http://www.mac512.com/ccpmg4.htm
http://www.mac512.com/cclassic.htm
http://www.mac512.com/ccapart.htm

jt
=8-}

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 22 Jan 2002 11:58:51Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  12:57:05
Yeah, I've seen all of those, and it's the stuff of wet dreams. I think I'm just going to stick to a 575 Mobo, though the idea for using the 72-pin SIMM saver to get 132MB of RAM is a good one! Too bad the only SIMM savers I can find on eBay are the 30-pin to 72-pin variety...

666th poster to the

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  14:58:27
Actually I think the Lisas are buried in a landfill in Utah. Apple had to dispose of 11000 of them for tax reasons if I remember correctly

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  15:18:59
quote:

Yeah, I've seen all of those, and it's the stuff of wet dreams. I think I'm just going to stick to a 575 Mobo, though the idea for using the 72-pin SIMM saver to get 132MB of RAM is a good one! Too bad the only SIMM savers I can find on eBay are the 30-pin to 72-pin variety...

Whatever turns you on, comrade! Just don't try to light your self up! ~~ Check into a couple of storefront PC builders and see if they've got any old stock to clear out for the 72-pin.......
never know,
jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  15:22:52
quote:

Actually I think the Lisas are buried in a landfill in Utah.

Ok, who's got the buried treasure map, plastic isn't bio-degradeable! The more duct tape & bondo the better!
=8-}
jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  16:17:21
I think we should go on a sacred pilgramage to find the buried Lisas! FireWire and I will take Oregeon, Anubis, you and JT take Utah. Don't forget the shovels and the generators to see if they work!

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  07:33:41
quote:

I think we should go on a sacred pilgramage to find the buried Lisas! FireWire and I will take Oregeon, Anubis, you and JT take Utah. Don't forget the shovels and the generators to see if they work!

ok, sounds allright to me.

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/reach/435/lisa.htm

"Apple had had enough with the Lisa line, and in 1989 rented some land in Utah at the Logan Landfill."

Anubis, you got a map of Utah? I'm not gonna bother with my generator, but some zip-loc bags and gardening trowels will come in handy. Take a look, Cine' if you and FW have strong stomachs, come on along!

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  09:14:21
Aha, so it is Utah! I think we may need some heavy machinery...

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  09:56:32
quote:

Aha, so it is Utah! I think we may need some heavy machinery...

Maybe we can instigate...er...start an annual Lisa Dig/knockoff of the Burning Man thingie or the flying saucer migrati.......
With 68kMLArmy Tents!
jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.