dead se30 - how to revive?
Author Topic  
zed_zero
Starting Member

Australia
8 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  21:18:54
Greets,

I'm wondering whether it's possible to revive my SE/30. It died a slow death, making strange and annoying noises through the built-in speaker for quite some time. Start-up became temporamental, requiring several attempts, or leaving the switch 'on' and waiting a while. In the last phases of its demise, the computer booted with a zebra pattern across the entire screen. A reboot would get it going though.

I took it to an authorised Mac dealer but they returned it saying there was nothing they could do. Funny how the machine really went down hill from there. I only managed a couple of boots before the thing finally gave up. Now it does nothing whatsoever, regardless of how long we wait or how many times we try the power switch. No noise, nothing.

Is this se30 truly dead or can it be revived? If there is a solution, what would be involved in getting it going again?

Edited by - zed_zero on 09 Mar 2003 21:26:04

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  22:51:41
quote:

Is this se30 truly dead or can it be revived? If there is a solution, what would be involved in getting it going again?

Welcome aboard!

That sounds like a really ugly situation, click the period in my sig and look for "Compact Mac Cracking" in the LinksProject thread. IIRC, there was info on troubleshooting SE/30's there.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  22:54:40
Do you get anything?
Checkered pattern?
Sad mac?
Chimes of death?

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  05:14:54
Sounds like someone's analog board has gone down the tubes!

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  23:11:27
The SE/30 has a congenital problem with leaky electrolytic caps that can cause the symptoms you describe. Check out

http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~shamada/fullmac/repairEng.html

The English is a little fractured here and there (it's a Japanese site), but you can figure it out. Lots of great info there, some of which is also applicable to the SE, and to a lesser extent, the Classic and Classic II.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  23:20:03
quote:

The SE/30 has a congenital problem with leaky electrolytic caps that can cause the symptoms you describe. Check out

http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~shamada/fullmac/repairEng.html

The English is a little fractured here and there (it's a Japanese site), but you can figure it out. Lots of great info there, some of which is also applicable to the SE, and to a lesser extent, the Classic and Classic II.

Welcome to the 68kMLA, comrade! Are you the same tomlee mentioned in the CC Forum?
This is the one I just dug out of the LinksProjec, yours was dead, so I double-checked mine! ;)

http://www.comcarry.net/~shamada/fullmac/repairEng.html

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

edit: OOPS! yours was alive the second time I tried it!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 10 Mar 2003 23:44:10Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  23:55:55
I am not sure if I'm that same Tom Lee, but I have promised Stuart Bell that I would, uh, eventually get around to tracing the CC analog board schematic and post it. I've done this for the Plus, by the way, and written up some hardware notes to go along with it (Gamba has generously posted it on his site). Unfortunately, it's written for hardcore engineers, so I will re-write it someday to make it useful to weekend hackers.

Go to Top of Page

zed_zero
Starting Member

Australia
8 Posts
Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  08:25:19
Thanks for all the responses and for making me feel welcome.

I've wasted heaps of buck$$$ on T15 torx wrenches that won't reach or are too fat to get inside the handle (sigh). Does anyone know where I could pick up a wrench that'll do the job? I'm on the Gold Coast in Australia. Dick Smith Electronics had some T15s but I couldn't be sure they would work...

@ catsdorule:
I have a classic that makes a sad chime (like something that you'd expect to hear when the "Wheel of Fortune" stops on the Bankrupt section) and presents a sad little Mac face. Maybe you could give me a tip on getting that little puppy going? The SE/30 does nothing at all though.

@ oldmacman:
Is the "analogue board" the graphics generator (video "card")? I think the problem is worse than that.

@ tomlee59:
This is what I think may be the problem too. I have seen the page you've linked to before. It looks like fixing the problem involves soldering new capacitors onto the board. Scary stuff - I've never soldered anything!

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by - zed_zero on 13 Mar 2003 08:30:57Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2003 :  20:05:59
Well I dont know if there are Searss stores down under, if so check there.

Another option, buy a T15 driver bit. Get a 1/4 socket a couple of extensions and a rachet.

Or worse case scenario, buy a really long flat blade screwdriver, and grind down the head until it fits.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2003 :  21:01:16
The old memory kits came with a long allen wrench that was bent so that it had a handle, so take one of the short screws with you to a hardware store and match the size to an allen wrench!

Buy one, clamp the bent end in a vise, cut off a nice portion of the long end using a file on an angle so that the cut end tapers to a slight point, pound that into a piece of brass tubing hard enough so that the edges bite and it won't twist and give that a try.

Maybe you can find a long "T-Handle" allen wernch and save all the work!

. . . or have somebody weld one of your Torx tips onto a piece of steel rod!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 14 Mar 2003 21:02:52Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2003 :  21:28:27
the analog board serves a few functions, but "video card" isn't precisley one of them.

Most all the functions that a modern video card does, are located on the logic board of the Compact Macs.

The Analog borad is the power supply for the computer, as well as the circuits that controll the monitor itself.

But, if the analog board is fried, you'll get the symptoms you describe. If you are electonically inclined (read: Amateur Engineeer and/or Classic Hacker and Old Coot) you could try to find the componants that are broken, and replace them.

Other optionsa re ripping analog boards out of other SE/30's and late-model SE's.

IMPORTANT:
Go to the web page and look up the page on opening and dischargeing the CRTs in those. You HAVE to discharge it before removing the Analog board, or even working with it, or you'll fry the CRT, yourself, the logic board, and maybe your entire house.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  04:01:11
It's not the analog board, trust me. I can't see how the symptoms could be caused by anything other than the logic board. If you are apprehensive about soldering, you might be able to get by with a simple cleaning.

Unplug the unit and let it sit overnight. Then, open it up, and remove the logic board, taking care to observe antistatic protocols to avoid damage. Carefully examine the board to see if there are any telltale signs of corrosion near the capacitors (usually, small silver cylinders) and PRAM battery (another source of conductive gook that can cause problems; you should check it in any case just to make sure it's ok, no matter how new it seems to be). If you see residue of a suspicious kind, get rid of it with a toothbrush and some alcohol. Carefully rinse and dry the area before reassembling.

That's worked for me a couple of times. In other instances, the corrosion actually ate away the PC board traces, and I had to rewire the things. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones!

Let us all know how you make out.

(Btw, the suggestion of the Allen wrench is a very good one, so if you can't find a Torx, that should do the job nicely.)

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  04:08:48
Oh, one more thing: Really, don't fear the CRT of any compact Mac so much. Its potential for harm has been much exaggerated over the years. Simply unplugging the computer overnight will be quite enough.

You can find more on this subject at:

http://www.applefritter.com/thefritter/13/drwebster.html

I agree with most of what the author says, having written the article. :-)

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  11:28:14
Having discharged a Mac Plus CRT across my chest...

There's power there, for sure, and to replace the analog board you MUST discharge it.

I do not advocate discharging the CRT when changing a motherboard, or hard drive, or SIMMs or anything of that nature, when working in a compact Mac.

If one is working on the analog board, or replacing the CRt, it is required.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  17:19:17
There is no reason at all to discharge the crt routinely when simply working on the analog board. There is no exposed conductor with HV on it at all. If you read my article, you'll see that there is arguably a risk involved with following the recommendation of routinely discharging the CRT. Superstitious fear of HV (12,000V sure sounds scary!) also carries with it a risk of overlooking the greater danger that is mentioned less often (that of the 170V supply filter caps).

As the article says, getting zapped by a compact mac's crt is certainly unpleasant, but it's not any more harmful than someone surprising you. Unless you specifically need to disconnect the HV lead from the crt for some definition reason (such as swapping the crt or analog board, as you mentioned), there's zero justification for lifting the anode cup to discharge the crt.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.