All Forums
 68k Conquests
 68k Graveyards
Author Topic  
radams
Starting Member

18 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  14:21:07
Please bare with me. My digital photography and html skills are severly lacking(I'm just a lowly hardware tech afterall), but I took some pictures of the computer graveyards in our School Corp(I'm currently working on saving as many of these as I can).

http://www.geocities.com/stupor.geo/index.html

All in all there's around 50 SEs, at least 100 LCII and LCIIIs, Some IIs, and Quadras and I think I saw a Centris 660 AV as well.

I haven't had a chance to look through everything but There's alot of stuff.

Edited by - radams on 18 Jan 2002 14:25:54

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  20:14:20
where (what state) is this ?

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

radams
Starting Member

18 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  23:48:11
Indiana. South Bend, Indiana

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  00:26:13
Dude, talk with your school about when they plan on getting rid of the stuff, and if you could take some of it. Hell, if you can get enough of them, you may be able to do some awesome case hacks with the spare parts (Provided you want to).

Back when I worked for my school district, there was an entire bathroom in one of the Junior High Schools loaded with Mac equipment ready to go into the "Junkyard". The Junkyard is the olympic swimming pool located at the high school, where about 30 years ago a leak developed in the roof, and the school district thought it was more cost effective to shut down the pool rather than fix the roof.

Anyways, through contacts in the district, I was allowed to scavange the pile of stuff. I came out with an LC III (I was trying to get 2, but they limitied me to 1), a n Apple 300e+ CD-ROM drive (2x, Tray Load), 4 Apple 8*24 Graphics Cards, and an Apple NuBus Ethernet Card. All the cards I dumped into my IIfx, and ti can simutaniously drive 5 monitors at once now. It rules.

Also, in looking at the pictures, I spot at lease
IIsi (pic 4, 6 from the top on the right side)
IIvx/Quadra 650/Centris 650 (pic 4, middle, facing backwards)
LC 475/Quadra 605 (pic 6, hiding behind computer paper box)
Mac II/IIx/IIfx (pic 3, 4 down on the left side)

If you do get the chance to liberate some of these, avoid the LC/LC II's. Scavange through for all the Quadras first, then the IIci's and IIsi's (not IIcx's), then the other Mac II's and the SE/30's, then LC III/LC 475's. I say this so that you get the good ones, and leave the ones that are good, but not as great as the others. (All the others have specific perks such as internal space or speed)

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  00:33:31
quote:

The Junkyard is the olympic swimming pool located at the high school, where about 30 years ago a leak developed in the roof, and the school district thought it was more cost effective to shut down the pool rather than fix the roof.

whaaaaaaat? they shut down a swimming pool.....to keep rainwater from leaking into it?

jt

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  08:59:42
Yeah, stupid, isn't it? Current estimates are it would cost $1.2M to fix the damages caused over the last 30 years. Being that this is a not-so-rich school district, they couldn't get the taxpayers to float a tax hike or bond to get it fixed. It's sad really.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

radams
Starting Member

18 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  09:26:55
Well I should be able to get most of the stuff there...They still want some of the LCIIIs for spare parts since we still have a few classes that use them. The 580s are also all being used(Most of our Elementary School Teachers have them as Teacher Machines in their classrooms).

I've already taken two boxed LCIIs and a 12" RGB display that were never unboxed except for inventory purposes. I also found an LC630 still boxed that I'm trying to convince them to let me take.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  09:28:00
quote:

Yeah, stupid, isn't it? Current estimates are it would cost $1.2M to fix the damages caused over the last 30 years........It's sad really.

how much have they paid to empty the rainwater out of the pool over 30 years?

you just gotta e-mail this one to mallard fillmore......

i needed a reality check, for some reason, surrealism hasn't lived up to expectations.......

thanks,

jt

Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  20:56:19
quote:

Paid to empty water? That's a good one.

They just left the drain pipe open down at the bottom, so the water eventually got there or evaporated. The pool is right now about 3/4 full of old office equipment, old computers (Apple II's and Commodore PET's), and a few hundred broken chairs.

The reasoning behind putting all this stuff there is because 20 years ago, people found out that all the junk equipment was being thrown out rather than be fixed. The taxpayers were angered and forced the school district to keep a running inventory of all items in the district. Being that they are not able to throw anything out, they have to put it in storage. This is the same story, on a smaller scale, at all the Junior High and Elementary schools in the district (23 schools in total, 4 Junior High, 16 Elementary, 3 High School)

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  21:20:45
quote:

quote:

Paid to empty water? That's a good one.

rhetorical question, just a little rhetorical, in nyc you never know WHAT somebody has a contract to do for the board of ed.

jt :-|

suggestion for research:
anybody who has anything to do with education or has kids should go to the web/library and copy/print the mac(?) "education in america" issue from the 68k era. not a lot has changed, there was also an incredible article in the silicon alley somethingorother about computers in education.

Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  04:51:23
quote:
Please bare with me.

Umm… No, thanks.

,xtG
.tsooJ

RTFMGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 21 Jan 2002 :  02:38:39
I know I was responsible for these photos, but <sob> oh the humanity! </sob>

68k MLA ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.