Mac II Line
 AppleCD 600e and Mac IIsi
Author Topic  
muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  09:20:36
Hi folks!
I entered into an e-bay auction last night thinking that the AppleCD 600e was just the thing for my great IIsi. Today, though, after finding a pdf of the instruction manual, I am not so sure anymore. There it says:

"Your AppleCD 600e quad-speed CD-ROM player works with the Macintosh
IIci computer and all later Macintosh and PowerBook models that have a
68030 or higher processor with a clock speed of 25 megahertz or higher."

Seeing as how the clock speed is only 20 MHz, does this mean that the cd player won't work with the si? The manual refers to the ci throughout and there is no mention whatsoever of the si. Does anyone have any experience with this drive. Should I just hope that someone outbids me? Please send an answer soon, as the auction is over on Sunday! Thanks!
p.s. Found a Performa 475 in a junk pile in my neighbor's basement last night where there had recently been a fire. The computer was intact, but stinks like a plastic fire. Anyone have any ideas as to how to get the smell out of the computer?

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  09:30:35
quote:

Hi folks!
I entered into an e-bay auction last night thinking that the AppleCD 600e was just the thing for my great IIsi. Today, though, after finding a pdf of the instruction manual, I am not so sure anymore.

Don't worry about it, the date of the manual probably pre-dates the release of the IIsi and I'd be surprised if it wouldn't work just fine on a Plus or an SE.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  10:05:42
quote:
p.s. Found a Performa 475 in a junk pile in my neighbor's basement last night where there had recently been a fire. The computer was intact, but stinks like a plastic fire. Anyone have any ideas as to how to get the smell out of the computer?

Congrats on the smoked Performa. Unless the machine was running while the fire was burning, the smoky smell is probably mostly confined to the exterior of the case. I would try cleaning the exterior of the case with isopropyl alcohol (remove the electronics first). If that does not work, try smearing a heavy coat of shampoo on the case, letting it dry for 24 hours and then rinsing thoroughly. If that does not work, try putting the case in the sun to bake out the odor-causing chemicals. If that does not work, then you could always just use the machine in a well ventilated room.

Hope you can make that Performa clean and fresh smelling!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  14:11:59
one word:

dishwasher

to clean out smoked plastics

CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  14:59:26
Thanks everyone for the various cures to my smoked mac. I will try them out early next week when my project for work is finished. But as for the external cd rom drive (AppleCD 600e), I looked on the apple site and they said it isn't supported for processors slower than 25 MHz. Not to say it won't work, as has been indicated here, but it is not supported. Does anyone have any direct experience with this drive. I was hoping to install A/UX on my si's second hard drive. If the cd drive works at all ... No one else but me seems to be bidding on it (at 5 Euros) on e-bay!
muzhok
liberated: lc, si
smoked:performa 475

Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  21:06:50
Works perfectly. I have one of these drives that I've used with a IIsi since the drive came out, and it's never failed.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  22:40:11
on a somewhat related note, what kind of other sony made drives will work with A/UX? I have this sony caddy loader that I might be obligated to try......

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2003 :  20:05:48
On CD-ROM drive speed and older Macs, I've used an Apple 8X drive with no problems with IIsi's, SE/30s, and similar machines.

Matt

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, OS 8.1
- "Mystic" Color Classic, full '040, 36/700/enet, OS 8.1
- Q605 overclocked to 33MHz, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, 8.1, Debian WoodyGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 08 Mar 2003 :  23:37:41
quote:

Don't worry about it, the date of the manual probably pre-dates the release of the IIsi

Not very likely, considering the AppleCD 600e is a 1995-era device...

But, yeah, I see no reason why it wouldn't work on nearly any mac

--------------------
master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  17:46:21
it's made by apple, and it's an SCSI peripheral, so it's nearly gauranteed to work, and by now I can imagine that you've tried it already?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  10:58:08
thanks cory5412 and everyone else who responded, but since my first post I got outbid at the last second, which is typical for these ebay auctions. In any event, I am a lot better informed and there are a few AppleCD 300's up for offer here in Germany and maybe I will be lucky. Otherwise, the IIsi is a dream. Just have to figure out how to connect it to the dsl router. The Asante ethernet care (with co-processer) seems to work according to my system checks, but it looks like I will have to take a weekend out to figure out why I can't get online.

muzhok

liberated:lc, IIsi, performa 475

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  15:32:13
You need to install 3rd party drivers supplied by Asante. Go to www.macdrivermuseum.com

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.