LC / Performa
 what to do with original LC?
Author Topic  
blobbo
Starting Member

Canada
7 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  08:44:26
so? what do i do with it? i was given it. it's too slow for word processing using word, and i don't know how well it does anything... has 28.8kbps modem and colour stylewriter II (dot matrix). takes hours to print, though. seems useless to me, but do you have any ideas of what i could do with it? otherwise it's getting sold. see my post in the "buy/sell" forum.

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  15:37:12
Some possible uses...

Print server

Play network games of Bolo with your friends

Run a webserver out of it

Extremely bulky digital picture frame

Serve a webcam

Mount it in the toliet, so you can read text files while going to the bathroom.

Use it for X10 home automation

Did I mention multiplayer games of Bolo?

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  18:47:31
Print server
File server for confidential documents you want away from the internet (with the modem disconnected, of course)
Email machine
Old game machine
Word processor
Do you know any young children? (like 5 - 7 y/o) With a few kids games and an old copy of ClarisWorks on it, they would LOVE this thing!
FTP server
Web server (as Anubis said before)

There's no shortage of things you can do with an old LC!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  07:33:56
In my previous post where I said..

"Mount it in the toilet, so you can read text files while going to the bathroom."

It should say mount it in the bathroom, so you can read text files while going to the bathroom. Actually putting a LC into the toilet (assuming it would fit) would be a bad idea...

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  18:34:27
quote:

In my previous post where I said..

"Mount it in the toilet, so you can read text files while going to the bathroom."

It should say mount it in the bathroom

I can't believe nobody caught the slip. But you gave me an idea.

If I cand find just the front bezel for an iPaq (the new one at staples is currently too expensive) and mount it on the toilet, your suggestion is perfect for what should be transplanted into the iPaq.

jt

p.s. maybe it should really say deposited thru.......

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  19:16:29
quote:

it's too slow for word processing using word, and i don't know how well it does anything... has 28.8kbps modem and colour stylewriter II (dot matrix). takes hours to print, though. seems useless to me

word is useless, keep the LC......*see footnote

find out if one of the early versions of quicken will run on the LC, keep the ImageBanger to print sprocket-fed multi-part checks, and scrounge a Macintosh Portrait Display which looks very cool w/LC as tilted base (may need newer mobo?) use just about anything but word for processing and print to an old laserwriter for letters, faxes etc., with LC CPU powered up all the time as a fax-server.

jt

btw: BabyPB ended his days (now resides in cryogenic storage drawer in desk waiting for parts-donor & revival) but he used to wake up when the phone rang, which turned on the printer with powerkey-pro to print faxes and turned it off afte......

p.s. if you can't live without word, i could live with an LC if it had 2 floppy slots and would offer more than the $5 last bid (quote) I saw for one over there (an I'm not gonna say why until somebody sells me one)

*my prejudice against word is based soley upon anecdotal evidence suggesting that i will never in my lifetime own a computer fast enough to run microsoft office.
Above is TNQAHEO of TRS80-III/Z80/2MHz-to-G4/466/DSLnetsurfer
http://www.trs-80.com/

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 20 Jan 2002 00:11:17Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  19:56:09
quote:

i could live with an LC if it had 2 floppy slots

All original LCs have 2 "floppy slots" (normal 3.5" bays these are the configurations you can have:

HD + Floppy
Floppy + Floppy

If you have an HD instead of the second floppy, then the slot is covered with a removable slot-cover-upper. Dig?

(by the way, hmm, good suggestion for the portrait display (now if only I had that goddamn cable!)

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  20:16:29
quote:

(by the way, hmm, good suggestion for the portrait display (now if only I had that goddamn cable!)

been meanin' to ask about that one, if you KNOW the monitor is good, cables are (were) available new from griffin $40+- might or might not need to fab adapter - GREAT tech guys @ griffin. if you don't like the tilt LC base tilt a/o height use Q605 flat & low, IIci/Q700 flat & high.

btw: TY4Compliment, if FPD DOA fab MacWaterCooler (carefully)

jt ~~

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  22:28:32
i don't know if its good or not. Marchie's been trying to send me a cable but the post office has been very silly for his 3 sending attempts...

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  16:49:16
ClarisWorks 2.1 runs very nicely on the LC. I could email you a copy if you want it...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Captain Video
Starting Member

14 Posts
Posted - 20 Jan 2002 :  21:41:23
http://vieuxmac.com/DOWNLOAD/" target="_blank"> Mac Write should run fine. So should Write nowI posted this over on Mac Addict, but in case you haven't seen it, here is a sites, actually two, with old Mac programs, Word Processors and the like that should run fine on your LC.

note: I don't know how legal these old programs would be...

[urlhttp://vieuxmac.com/DOWNLOAD/

This site has one full System 7.5 OS and lots of updates:
http://www.pure-mac.com/" target="_blank"> http://www.pure-mac.com/

Go to Top of Page

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  17:39:40
Hmm, the StyleWriter II isn't a dot-matrix printer. It's an Inkjet. The ImageWriter I and II where dot-matrix, while the Scribe was a thermal printer.

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68K Macs liberated:5Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  18:02:59
quote:

Hmm, the StyleWriter II isn't a dot-matrix printer. It's an Inkjet.

Betcha it's an imagebanger, names are a lot easier to get wrong than open carriages, tractor feed cogs and big ol' rubber rollers, sheesh, sounds like surpluse parts from the age of steam! Or the laundry wringer back on the farm. Nice catch, sure got past me. duuuh!
jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  21:47:12
Hmm, not only is the StyleWriter II an ink-jet printer, it's black-and-white, defintely not color.

Couldn't you get a color ribbon ImageWriter II?

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.