All Forums
 Compact Macs
 The Best ROMs: Plus vs. SE vs. Classic
Author Topic  
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  14:26:42
I'm just wondering which of these three compact Macs had the "best" ROMs. My Outbound Notebook computer currently has the ROM from a Mac Plus. But Googling suggests that the ROM SIMM from either a Mac Classic or Mac SE(but not the SE/30) could also go in there.

Anyone have any idea/opinion/wild@$$ guess as to which ROM would be the fastest, stablest, coolest ROM? ANybody out there every swap ROMs around to see if stability or speed is improved???

I'm inclined to think that the Classic might be the best because it had the latest release date (likely to have the most bug fixes) and because the Classic can boot from ROM using command-option-x-o at startup. But I bow to the greater experience of my fellow MLA'ers.

TIA,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  20:52:26
quote:

Anyone have any idea/opinion/wild@$$ guess as to which ROM would be the fastest, stablest, coolest ROM? ANybody out there every swap ROMs around to see if stability or speed is improved???

Designing cards and Drivers says that "The 256KB of processor ROM in the Portable is fundamentally similar to the ROM in the Macintosh SE" . . .

. . . it will also address 5 (count 'em FIVE!) MB of RAM and up to 4 MB of additional ROM on an expansion card (got PDS? )

. . . of course the ROM in the PB100 is supposedly quite similar to the Portable's and it'll address up to EIGHT MB of RAM!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

p.a. ounds like an interesting situation . . . to have an unsanctioned clone that's not particularly picky at all about what kind of ROMs it's asked to address . . . hrmmmm . . . :rolleyes:

btw: I think T.O. over on fritter is another lucky outbound owner, IIRC, you might want to bounce your question off him over there too!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 06 Mar 2003 20:58:38Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  06:44:56
Thanks for the info, jt -- I'll have to post this over at AF.

The funny thing is that this Outbound seems to have capabilities beyond what might be expected from its ROMs. For example, the machine has a 1.4 MB floppy, which a Mac Plus ROM doesn't support (I have verified, via the ROM checksum and http://www.emulators.com/softmac.htm , that I have a Mac Plus ROM). Also, the HD is IDE. And the brochure for the beast (thanx goes to Babelfish & those wacky Japanese collectors) claims that the machine can support 14 MB of RAM.

Cheers,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.