68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 ImageWriter 2 in Mac OS X! Here's how...
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  21:28:18
I've done it, and it works ALMOST completely fine (I've had a couple jobs stall.. not sure why yet and it just might be that I'm running Jaguar on a 7600 upgraded to a G3)

I'm useing a II, but these will also work with the LQ and I.

I copied these directions shorthand from Mac OS X Unleashed 2nd edition. I copied them at the store, into my Newton. You'll need to use the Terminal.

First, go to www.macosxunleashed.com and register and acct. Then, from the downloads section, get the "file" and "serial" files (they are plain text)

Get Info on each file. Set the owner to "system" (the top one if you ahve 2).
Set the group to "wheel" (again, the top if you have 2)

Now, you can either use sudo for these files or su to root.
In the commands below, I'm assuming the files are in your home directory:

% mv ~marchie/serial.txt /usr/libexec/cups/backend/serial
% mv ~marchie/file.txt /usr/libexec/cups/backend/file

% cd /usr/libexec/cups/backend/

% chmod 755 serial
% chmod 755 file

Great! The hard part is done! all that's left is installing 3 packages.

Install Ghostscript and gimp-print from
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

Install the ImageWriter driver package
http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/

FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! you'll need to have your serial adapter (if any) installed and plugged in when you run the ImageWriter driver installer. It will install an ImageWriter I and 2 and LQ printer to EACH serial port you have (in my case it was 6). Just remove the ones you don't want in Print Center and you're all set!

If you have printer sharing on, all other Rendevous systems on the network will see the printer.

Good Luck!
~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  23:00:14
Marchie

This is *very* cool. I am definitely going to try this with my LQ.

Just a thought - if you have an Imagewriter with an Appletalk card in it, will it also work?

K

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  00:29:56
*Wonders if he could get his ThunderScan to work along with the ImageWriter Wide Carriage under X, decides he's better get the ImageBanger II back to try it when the time comes.*

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  06:21:30
FUN FUN FUN!
I always regret getting ridof things later... and now I regret getting rid of a pretty nice (looking) and [completely untested] Imagewriter II

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  08:35:38
quote:
FUN FUN FUN!
I always regret getting ridof things later... and now I regret getting rid of a pretty nice (looking) and [completely untested] Imagewriter II

I have 14 of em, but no X to test em with.

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Keeper of the 68kmla Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  09:04:31
Nice work, Marchie! This definitely spans the generations.

I always wanted to create an ImageWriter typewriter for filling in the occasional bureaucratic form. With just a wee bit'o software(Hypercard and a serial port XCMD?), one could convert keyboard entries and arrow key commands into carriage and roller commands (my old ImageWriter I manual had a quick reference card of the escape codes). I even remember an old Digital Equip. Corp teletype that used a daisywheel -- the thing would automatically move the wheel out of the typing area when you stopped typing so you could see what you typed and then it would pop back into the proper location when you started typing again. One could do the same thing with the ImageWriter -- the carriage would jump of the the way so one could check the typing or align the printhead with the proper spot on the paperform.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent

Edited by - g4from128k on 06 Mar 2003 09:06:40Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  22:32:37
I'm not taking credit for this... I'm just proving it WORKS and giving you all directions ;-)

I decided to "test" the set up by printing the 200 page IANA Port Numbers file across the network...

somewhere in the port 2xx range, it stalled... I figured it just died... didn't check the CUPS or Print Center results (cups is accessible at http://localhost:631 )

Well... It stalled... but didn't DIE... my dad ended up restarting the computer this morning and it started pumping out more text, right from the mid sentance it had cut off (alas, I had moved the page)

this evening I heard a noise while upstairs... and went down to find it happily printing pages (I think I have 100 or so)... but the paper had jammed, and the printer had printed thru the paper and was happily printing all over it's carriage.

Also, I have yet to figure out how to set things like "don't print top and bottom margins" and other settings. I'm reading thru the IWII manuals now to see what the commands are, and trying to find stuff in the foomatic ppd file.

My NEW project is a DeskWriter 320 on my G4 upstairs, and also setting up CUPS and the server in general to allow for IP printing.. so I can print from anywhere in the world to me house, and some of my friends and print direct to my desk (read: Internet fax!)

The 320 isn't nearly so easy. LinuxPrinting.org is devoid of any info on DeskWriters. I THINK the drivers for the comparable DeskJets should work (Same language, PCL3) but HP isn;'t helpful on port speeds (56k seems to workish)...but not completely correct yet. It doesn't help that my printer has a problem feeding paper from it's desk feeder

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  22:39:41
quote:

I have 14 of em, but no X to test em with.

I thought MacDaddy had a copy of X on his G3?

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  06:40:23
quote:

My NEW project is a DeskWriter 320 on my G4 upstairs, and also setting up CUPS and the server in general to allow for IP printing.. so I can print from anywhere in the world to me house, and some of my friends and print direct to my desk (read: Internet fax!)

I love this! For extra credit, put a webcam on that ImageWriter and create a webpage where people can enter a message and see their text appear on the paper via the webcam.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  12:08:21
There's an idea...

I wonder if I can convince my boss at the ISP to let me do something like that in the corner...

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  12:37:07
quote:

There's an idea...

I wonder if I can convince my boss at the ISP to let me do something like that in the corner...

Amen, an ImageWriter II would make an interesting fake Paladin chassis for a 6xxx, G-3, X and ThunderScan hack!

I wonder if I could shoehorn the platen and guts of an ImageBanger II into the Sharp with the 630 mobo?

Just add a webcam!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 07 Mar 2003 12:43:25Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.