All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Mac Plus, NeXT sound box, and more!
Author Topic  
oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2003 :  17:41:01
I went to math contest today with my high school's math team. On the bus ride back, I was talking with a friend of mine about computers. I asked him if he had anything interesting laying around. He told me that when his family had lived in an apartment complex, he had rescued a working Mac Plus with keyboard, mouse, and external hard drive from the dumpster. It had been sitting around since then; he had no way to transfer any files onto it because of its 800K floppy drive. He also told me that he had two NeXT sound boxes that he could not use, and that he could give me one. He also had an extra 13w3 video cable left over from a dead SGI monitor that he was willing to part with. In exchange for all of this, I will give him my partially-functional Power Mac 6100/60 for him to play with. We will make the trade sometime this weekend.

While we were talking, another member of the math team overheard our discussion. He told me he had a Umax clone with a corrupt installation of system software. I agreed to loan him an external SCSI CD-ROM drive and an OS 8.1 CD so he could rehabilitate his machine.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2003 :  17:51:17
Nifty dude, cool beans about the NeXT sound boxes and the other goods!!!! And cool beans to your generosity to get a fellow mac user back on his feet!!!

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2003 :  21:21:05
WOWness... I wish that I was in a place where I could just go out on any random day for almost nothing and get such a good liberation....

although, Math is a very important subject...did you win the competition?

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2003 :  09:23:33
quote:
Math is a very important subject...did you win the competition?

Top sophomore. 2nd place Algebra, 1st place Team, 1st place Geometry, 5th place Calculators and Computers (pretty good, considering I don't know any C).

quote:
I wish that I was in a place where I could just go out on any random day for almost nothing and get such a good liberation...

It's all just a matter of asking the right questions and knowing the right people, I guess. We have a large university here in Columbia, and many people (including me) have gotten old computer stuff that MU has discarded. It's a plus that my dad works at MU, so I get to search the "computer trash cart" before they throw stuff out.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  18:02:14
(here comes the friend of a friend stories...)

my friend's friend has a lisa... I will attemp to get his Email, and attempt to get him to give it to me for nothing or cheap. fua ha ha!

Thnxn
"moo! MOOO!!!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  20:54:05
well this friend who knows this guy who has that teacher might get an Apple II from school

seriously there's a few IIs there at school... original IIe type units... OLDER THAN THE SCHOOL!!!! that's funny

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.