Quadra / Centris
 Video Card on 840av
Author Topic  
Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 :  15:29:56
I am getting an 840 av and ive heard that the "best" nubus video card is the, Village Tronic MacPicasso 320. I was wondering if anyone knows where i can find one of these or if they are good. I have already tried ebay, but no luck... If no one knows about this video card maybe another?

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2003 :  03:34:13
Hi Christoph,

You'll have to join the queue I'm afraid. I havn't found one yet & I suspect that the people who have them hold on to them.

There are quite a few cards & personally I would advise that you would be better off getting somthing "when it comes along" rather than waiting for "the best".

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2003 :  06:41:06
If you max out the 840av's VRAM at 2MB, it does better than most Nubus video cards out there. Plus it saves you a Nubus slot...

just a thought!

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hardware Page: http://cineware.sytes.netGo to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 14 Feb 2003 :  08:07:49
quote:

I am getting an 840 av and ive heard that the "best" nubus video card is the, Village Tronic MacPicasso 320. I was wondering if anyone knows where i can find one of these or if they are good. I have already tried ebay, but no luck... If no one knows about this video card maybe another?

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4

I'm not sure that this is the best nubus vid card. LEm doesn't rank it highly... check out http://lowendmac.com/video/index.html for comparitive reviews. My understanding is that the Radius Thunder IV GX 1600 is commonly rated as the best of the bunch.

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

"What Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself." - The Register, 23/8/02Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  19:23:42
What is funny is that i got my information from there... lol. Yeah they said that those 2 are the best I jsut wasnt sure.

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  20:30:56
I have a Supermac thunder/24 without the DSP addon on my Q950 and it doesnt feel as fast as the built in video (maxed vram) on my Q840AV.

It is nice to do 24bit color in high resolution though, Im using a 17" monitor.

You can get them on ebay (in new condition) for like $10 since very few people bid on them. The addon DSP's (which dont work on os 8) convert it into a Thunder II GX 1152

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2723277772&category=25449

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  04:38:15
I never even thought of getting a NuBus video card that was meant to compete with the Quaddie's video... I never have owned NuBus cards anyway... if I ever wanted a video card (and I have) it was so that I could do dualie or triple monitors... this was with like a 12" the AudioVision and another 14" so getting like... SuperMac thunder cards, or the 8*24GC cards wasn't of ÜberPriority to me...

It'd be cool though

I would love it if my 840av were to this day, alive, but I still have the IIsi I can see if it's 2 slot riser (one Pds one NuBus?) will work the way I hope it does... heehehe dual monitor IIsi... with ethernet!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.