PowerBook
 floppy or not to floppy
Author Topic  
macinschool
Starting Member

4 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  12:23:00
Hi
I'm working with some Duo 230s at school. Four are fine but one insists that any floppy needs initialising. I'm using a duodock to load the floppys. The disks work on all the other machines. Occaisional chimes of death sound on start up. I'm guessing that this is terminal but any more positive ideas very welcome.

On a more positive note 5 workstations five happy five year olds all for minimal expenditure ... I like 68k computing :)

Cheers

macinschool

LC2
5 Duo 230s
4 LC3
Duo 280c
Classic
(there should be room for the children somewhere in the classroom)

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  12:38:34
I want to commend you for introducing 68k's to another generation of Mac users.

Sorry to hear that one of your Duos is acting badly (chimes of death and floppy crankiness is not a good sign). You migth also try networking the wayward Duo and loading software via Appletalk (assuming that that Duo can boot and has minimal networking extensions) Otherwise and before you relegate that Duo to the parts bin, you might try opening it up and disconnecting/reconnecting everything. Its possible that a loose tidbit is the culprit. If your surgery kills the thing, you have lost nothing and if it revives it, you've gained a Duo and an ample does of good Mac Karma.

Best Wishes,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

macinschool
Starting Member

4 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  13:07:47
I knew there was a reason I had "how to dissect duo notes" downloaded somewhere!!!

I'll let you know how it goes.
Are there any dainty bits I should take more care with?

Cheers

macinschoolGo to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  20:17:20
Do they want to format every floppy, or just dos ones. Maybe all they need is PC Exchange? just a suggestion....

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  20:46:56
quote:

I knew there was a reason I had "how to dissect duo notes" downloaded somewhere!!!

I'll let you know how it goes.
Are there any dainty bits I should take more care with?

dunno, they're all dainty, just watch out for static zappage and overtorquing fasteners. Click the period in my sig to go to the LinksProj, there's an illustrated DuoCracking site link in there, IIRC.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

olddirtyvegan
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts
Posted - 15 Feb 2003 :  07:21:36
One thing I've always had problems with in Duo docks is that floppy drive sliding the disk cover over when a floppy is inserted. Try taping the flap open and inserting a disk, might just be trying to read the metal protective flap!

Usually a rebuild and lube is enough to get the cranky floppy drive up and working again.

-msr

Go to Top of Page

macinschool
Starting Member

4 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  05:09:54
Thanks for the ideas. Half term is starting so I've a bit of time to explore.
I'm pretty sure it's the machine and not the dock as the dock is fine with other duos and the floppys are all mac ones.
So in we go......

Macinschool

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  06:33:18
quote:

Thanks for the ideas. Half term is starting so I've a bit of time to explore.
I'm pretty sure it's the machine and not the dock as the dock is fine with other duos and the floppys are all mac ones.
So in we go......

Sounds like there MIGHT be something wrong with the docking connector/signals on the flaky Duo. IIRC, the Floppy Dock doesn't require a DeclROM and is more of a passthru/sense line interface than a true PseudoSlot PDS/dock. If this is true of the FDD controller in the Dock, you can test the lines listed for the FloppyMicroDock in the Duo System Developer Note on the Apple site. Do all of the other Dock services function correctly with the flaky Duo?

STRANGE problem!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.