All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 cabling
Author Topic  
shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  04:20:27
I have 2 hard drives in my Quadra, I would like three, I have removed the floppy and so have space, I just need the cabling. Can I just go to an electrics shop(Maplins) & ask for some scsi cabling? & tell them how long I need it & how many connectors I need?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 19 Feb 2003 :  23:45:20
Only if they sell it. You can get it lots of places. Some electronics stores have it, and if yours doesn't, you can get them online very easily.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 4}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  14:13:47
I have been looking around but have had little success.

I may just look at a cable I ready have(enough connectors but wrong distances) I remember using a cable similar to this before(ribbon) & being able to remove a connector & reattach it.

Next question, Can I attach an external scsi 68 pin scsi tower to my 840av? is it just a case of getting a 25 pin scsi to 68 pin scsi cable?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2003 :  18:00:37
No success online? They really aren't that hard to find. If you can't find a satisfactory retail site, eBay has plenty

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 4}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  07:34:31
You can make your own 3-headed SCSI cable by buying all the parts (some assembly required). Many commonly used connectors are available in an unassembled form that lets you lay the ribbon in place that snap the connector together to form the connection (sharp little metal forks on the back-side of the connector pierce the ribbon cable to connect each wire to its respective pin). You buy a length of ribbon cable and the required connectors and make a SCSI ribbon cable with what ever connector spacing you desire. A "good" electronic parts store or a local PC assembly shop should have all the parts (just bring your old ribbon cable and very carefully compare what your buying with what you have).

Good Luck!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.