Color Mac Portable 040/NuBus?
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2003 :  15:21:06
68k version (HAR! ) of a recent 'fritter post:

I was playing with my Mac Portable, thinking about the Crew of Space Shuttle (my portable has a NASA property tag on it) cuz I'd heard something about a box being found that was misidentified as one of Columbia's onboard computers and I left the Portable sitting open on the bench next to the Bare@$$Duo230 testbed . . .

I walked back over to it, thinking what a shame it was that such a beautiful machine was slated for so little use, even when installed as a flip up workstation on the rolling PlotterStack (for cutting ancient job files on the old sprocket fed system, it'd flip up right about where the black filing cabinet is ATM) and was thinking about buttoning everything up to do some work . . .

. . . when my guardian demon flipped and rotated the image of DockBoard/CardCage/DuoMLB upside down and rotated it 90 degrees so that the backplane plates of the NuBus cards lined up with the side right where the battery compartment is. I thought sanity was taking hold, but curiosity took over and I now know that everything will fit inside the subframe of the Portable except the Modem card and the RAM expansion card. The modem would need to be rewired or replaced by a decent one, but that dratted RAM card (which almost saved me from considering this hack) just happens to line up so that it could extend in between the supports and will fit right underneath the trackball's PCB.

Question is: has anyone done this before so I can drop this insane idea?

I'm thinking a MiniDock/280c or 270c hack with provisions for the NuBusMiniDock hack built into a replacement mobo/port adapter plate for my current Portable might be an interesting experiment. Anybody got a certified DEAD Portable for CHEAP?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2003 :  20:21:36
Trash, you're a freakin' lunatic.

Can't wait to see piccies of the finished product though.

Matt

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
- "PowerMystic" Color Classic, 66MHz PPC601 card, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, OS 8.1
- "Mystic" Color Classic, full '040, 36/700/enet, OS 8.1
- Q605 overclocked to 33MHz, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, 8.1, Debian WoodyGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2003 :  21:03:21
quote:

Trash, you're a freakin' lunatic.

Can't wait to see piccies of the finished product though.

Thanks . . . I think?

I thought everybody was ignoring this idea, there's not a single comment about it over on fritter . . . is it THAT crazy?

I'm not sure it's actually gonna get done tho . . . maybe if I can find a really cheap deader, my Portable runs and I'd rather keep it the way it is.

The adapter plate/minidock approach is looking better and better tho. It's a way to try the NuBusMiniDock in a way that's not a total waste of hardware if the bridge transplant is rejected, the socketed ROM on the MiniDock board and the flex circuit are both big advantages and if I plan it right, it could even run off battery power.

dunno, I think I need to get some sleep . . .

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  20:19:35
is this

a) putting a nubus card in a Portable

b) putting some other mobo, AND NuBus cards in a portable case?

either way it sounds COOL!

:drools: very powerful 040 based machine with NuBus slots and built on ethernet sans ethernet :drools more:

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2003 :  14:20:48
quote:

is this

a) putting a nubus card in a Portable

b) putting some other mobo, AND NuBus cards in a portable case?

It's putting a Duo mobo and a Dock or, much more likely, the MiniDock board into the Portable with grafted on NuBus support if it can be done using the Chipset from the Dock I. Biggest problem so far is that the MiniDock appears to be a 16 bit interface, but that shouldn't matter. I won't be using the flex circuit from the MiniDock, the NuChip and bus transceivers will be on the adapter plate, connected directly to the Docking connector pinout.

I haven't tested the fit of the Duo's LCD yet tho, that will be VERY close and could be a deal breaker if it won't fly. =8-/

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 22 Feb 2003 14:26:42Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.