Balloon Help
 Composite Sync?
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  19:56:12
I was looking at the pinouts for the DB-15 video connector in the Ports and Pinouts service manual when i saw that pin 3 is for "Composite Sync". If i connected that pin to an RCA connector, could i then plug that into the Composite video in on a TV to use the TV as a monitor?

BTW: According to the LC series service manual, LCIIIs, LC475s and Quadra 605's support NTSC and PAL. Could this be related? If it would work, i'll be quick to head over to Tandy or Dick Smith's to get myself a RCA connector and an RF modulator so that POS Rank Arena TV in my bedroom will finally be useful for something other than watching All Saints and Blue Heelers...heh

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  20:06:02
No.

Sync is the underlying signal in the magical world of video feed that essentially keeps the dual fields/frames in a constant rhythm, it's not the video itself.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 6
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  21:17:21
quote:

Sync is the underlying signal in the magical world of video feed that essentially keeps the dual fields/frames in a constant rhythm, it's not the video itself.

Good call, Cine'
check these out, you'll love 'em, guys.

http://www.cybertheater.com/Tech_Archive/YC_Comp_Format/yc_comp_format.html

http://www.cybertheater.com/Tech_Reports/Comb_Filter_Tut/guide_comb_filters.html

jt

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  22:40:16
Damn!

Now I can't go hook my LC630 to the TV and surf the net on a 51cm screen!

Oh well, looks like i'll have to put up with this silly Colour Display fixed at 640x480 for a little more yet before it finally craps out...

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  23:10:46
Brainstorming session time:

quote:

plug that into the Composite video in on a TV to use the TV as a monitor?

from your original post I think I might not have been the only one who thought you meant that you wanted a larger "television monitor" for your Video/Tuner Card output.

quote:

Now I can't go hook my LC630 to the TV and surf the net on a 51cm screen!

from your reaction to cine's response, it's clear now that you would have been a lot more disappointed if you had the proper signals to do the mod that you were considering and that his answer to your first post had been affirmative. You would have found out that after all your runnin' an' spendin' an' moddin', what you would have ended up with was an even crappier window into the web. television make absolutely TERRIBLE "computer monitors" due to bandwidth limitations and the compromises that were arrived at to compensate for them.

http://www.cybertheater.com/Tech_Archive/YC_Comp_Format/yc_comp_format.html

don't bother with the filter stuff in the other link unless you're going to buy a new tv. IMHO what you need to do is liberate a 16-19" monitor for surfing and Video playtime, check the link out, come up with some clearer, more detailed questions, and info on the video sources available, and we'll figure out how your LC630 can be a SMOKIN' video center. Unless your tv's got better inputs than the 630, in which case, NEVER MIND!

Only thing cooler 'n a 605/475PizzaBox is a 630Expand-A-Box crankin' televideo (but my PizzaBoxes kick even my 6360's @SS when it's time for crankin' pixels, so maybe you're right)

quote:

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Agreed, but redline the 630 too!

jt

ever get that, shouldn't a started this at that hour feeling?

coherence impairment commenced @ ________ hours (to be deternined by thread review at a later date)

From my responses, it's clear that THAT I'M NOT UNDERSTANDING MUCH OF ANYTHING ABOUT NOW. See footnotes*

bedtime!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Jan 2002 23:30:37

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Jan 2002 23:49:36

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Jan 2002 23:57:10

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Jan 2002 00:12:14

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Jan 2002 00:18:09Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  09:09:18
Even an Apple MultiScan 15" would be a nice upgrade. I never realized they could max out at 1024x768! Because of their infamous track records you can usualy find one for pennies if not free (like I did).

666th poster to the

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  10:27:46
how do you get it that high? I have 1 mb VRAM on my Quadra 650, but it can only do 832x624 max on my MultiScan 15. Am I missing something?

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  11:30:04
I'm running it off a Radius PrecisionColor 24Xk, which I have to admit is one of the best Nubus video cards next to the big daddy Thunder IV GX's (especially since it's only 7"!). 1024x768 @ 24-bit color on an Apple MultiScan 15 looks as clear and as sharp as a CRT iMac, surprisingly good for a monitor that has a history of self-destruction.

666th poster to the

Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 17 Jan 2002 11:48:35Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  13:17:55
quote:

I'm running it off a Radius PrecisionColor 24Xk, which I have to admit is one of the best Nubus video cards next to

links, i love 'em, thanks cine'

question: if we had pages with scans of original product brochures w/pics and mfr's specs, would the high end mac support & sales sites link to our pages, so more.......
***....maniacs....errrrrr....!!!!***
potential recruits will come over here 'n play?

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  13:43:05
That would be a good idea! I have a full copy of Acrobat so I could make PDF's. I know I have a couple SuperMac video card manuals, as well as all the manuals that shiopped with the IIci and a bunch of others. I better start scanning!

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  14:15:25
quote:

That would be a good idea!.......I better start scanning!

patience.......sit back...............
come back and brainstorm..................

might be getting old, but emulating real military planning is a useful and productive exercise, IMHO

finalize an overall strategy, then work out logistics, then the tactical options, then recon, then the mission planning.......then scan........

someone out there have any real, practical experience in military org?

btw: battle code for..yadda...yadda....etc. is a stroke of genious!

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  14:27:28
The only "real" military knowledge I have is that of the ever-essential SEVEN P's!

What are the seven p's, you ask?

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

ut I think they go right along with what you mentioned. Besides, I'm too busy tweaking my Quadra to do any scanning tonight.

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  14:31:04
quote:

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

ut I think they go right along with what you mentioned. Besides, I'm too busy tweaking my Quadra to do any scanning tonight.

good one
you're correct
just brainstorming

jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  07:08:35
I'm in the middle of scanning a book called 101 Things to do with a Macintosh, and when it says Macintosh it means 128k. It's one damn fine read, actually.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  07:49:11
I may be wrong on this, as I have never used the full version of Acrobat (yet) but if you just scan images of all the pages in a manual and then assemble them into a PDF, wouldn't that result in a PDF that takes up something like 20 megabytes of space and would be so big it would choke everyones browsers? To get the PDF's down to a reasonable size, wouldn't you have to key in all the text manually instead? I guess you could run the scanned pages through an OCR program but you would still have to go through and correct all the spelling mistakes, not exactly a fun task if you are talking about a 100 page manual

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  09:05:12
Well if you scan everything in black and white I don't see how it would take more than a meg or two...? Noen of the old manuals I have are printed in color anyway.

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 18 Jan 2002 :  10:01:00
quote:

Well if you scan everything in black and white I don't see how it would take more than a meg or two...?

conecture on my part:

jpeged slideshow may be the way to go if for web distrib.......
specify the distrib/storage/portability/COPYRIGHT ISSUES/..yadda...

advice based on practical experience:

Anyone involved in, or communicating publicly regarding, content distrib (any where, ESPECIALLY HERE, any level, any subject......
NEEDS to run out and buy the 1/02 issue of MAXIMUMPC (the SPEED issue, the I/O info alone is worth........and fun!) before the're pulled.........
THE ARTICLE TITLED PC-RIGHTS WILL PROVE INVALUABLE.......(if not quite as much fun, BUT PUT IT WITH THE FUN STUFF IN A BOX THA..........)

'nuf said,
jt

p.s. the technical aspects of distrib are fun for me, don't stop.......

but let's be careful out th................

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 10:03:19

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 10:07:05

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 18 Jan 2002 10:09:55Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.