Declaration ROM Hacking?
Author Topic  
Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2003 :  17:31:05
I've found something interesting in the Duo System DevNote:

*The .jpg doesn't show up in the forum window here so: click this link!

Does this mean that with the correct bits rewritten for (HACKED INTO!) a new DuoDock (or MiniDock?) Declaration ROM, the Duo might force the A(bominable)pple Sound Chip to give up its deathgrip on sound I/O?

TIA, for any advice on this!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  19:10:51
From what I read of that pic, if you've actually got the hardware to produce stereo sound, then setting the correct bit will actually make stereo come out.

That pic, however, doesn't seem to be referring to bits in ROM, since there's bits for "headphones plugged in" and stuff like that.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  19:28:10
quote:

From what I read of that pic, if you've actually got the hardware to produce stereo sound, then setting the correct bit will actually make stereo come out.

That pic, however, doesn't seem to be referring to bits in ROM, since there's bits for "headphones plugged in" and stuff like that.

That's what I thought about the stereo capability.

I am fairly sure "headphones plugged in" would just be a DeclROM parameter that turns off the Duo's internal speaker as the default mode whenever the hardware (slot?) mgr. updates the Dock State because a Duo don'got'no headphone jack!

If you've got a real SoundDock attached, you'd definitely want it to take precedence over the internal speaker and A(bominable)pple Sound Affliction . . . err . . . Chip!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  20:48:05
if you plugged a stereo device in... wouldn't it output to both sides... even though it's a mono output? it may only be "mono" but noone'll know if you don't seperate the speakers too much

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2003 :  10:59:45
quote:

if you plugged a stereo device in... wouldn't it output to both sides... even though it's a mono output? it may only be "mono" but noone'll know if you don't seperate the speakers too much

I hacked a sound file to test for two channel stereo output, the Sound Accelerator II gives me really aweful sounding output, but it is DEMONSTRABLY two channel stereo output from a DuoDock/NuBus card!

jt .

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Feb 2003 :  11:03:41
Update from fritter thread:

Okay, got the DevNotes printed and scoped out the relevant info in Designing Cards & Drivers. I'd like to take a whack at lying to the DuoDock a/o the MiniDock by tweaking the DeclROM's Sound Attributes (and maybe the video setup?) info. I don't have anything that'll read the ROM packages but I've seen mentions of software that'll dump Mac system ROM images to disk. Could this approach work with the Dock ROM and does anybody know of a freeware app that'll do it?

Would using an init to reset the info after boot be a better approach? I'm not a programmer, so the idea of a firmware config setting hack seems a lot more direct (brutally effective might be more accurate ) to me. The init/slot manager approach looks like getting started with "inside macintosh" and I'm past the "barely treading water" stage and well into the "holding my breath/watching the ripples on the surface/wondering about getting back up there again" state already.

I've got a 32kx8x4 Chip ROM Emulator I can dust off and gate the outputs together (maybe, the 64kx8 adapter works like a charm anyway) to look like the 128kx8 DeclROM in the Dock/MiniDock, so the tweaking and testing should be doable once I can nab the ROM images.

Any advice on using Flash Memory adapted to the ROM socket and modern Mac software to run it, in lieu of the ancient ROM Emulator, would save me the problem of using a PC under DOS to do this end of things . . .

But then again, all the stuff on the PC side is paid for or free! =8-/

jt .

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.