Mac IIci won't start up
Author Topic  
akaMarko
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2003 :  14:48:41
Hello,

I've been trying to restore a Mac IIci that's been in storage for a couple of years. When it was put away, it was in working condition but now it's dead. The first thing I tried was to replace the PRAM battery. NOTHING

The next thing that I tried was to put in a used Power Supply. Now I get the fan going along with a clicking noise. Also, the power indicator light on the front of the machine flashes in sinc with the clicking noise.

Is there any one out there who can perhaps take me to the next level. I would be thrilled to have this old war-horse up and running again.

tmtomh

USA
172 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2003 :  16:03:38
Sounds like a dead hard drive or -- gasp -- a dead motherboard.

Matt

No rank

Permanent 68k roommates:
- "Mystic" Color Classic, full '040, 36/700, OS 8.1
- Q605, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, 8.1, Debian Woody
- Q605 overclocked to 33MHz, full '040, 36/1.2G/enet, 7.6.1, NetBSDGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2003 :  16:10:12
I would try disconnecting various items one at a time (e.g., HD, floppy drive, mouse, monitor, keyboard, banks of RAM SIMMs, etc.) and then try restarting. It could be that one of the these devices is fried and drawing too much power. (If you are totally lucky, then just disconnecting and reconnecting these items might solve the problem).

Otherwise the problem is probably a dead capacitor on motherboard -- you might be able to spot some erupted and oozing pimple of a part in the machine.

Good luck with your old war horse, I hope you can return it to its former glory.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

akaMarko
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  08:12:43
I've tried just about everything I could think of along with other peoples suggestion but it's a no-go situation. Luckily someone else responded on a different web board http://www.ehmac.com and he has a working IIci that we are going to do a little swap around. I will transfer my Rasterops video card, Ram, Cache card, an HD into his working machine and he'll keep whatever is left of my dead machine to use for spare parts. Pretty decent of him ya think?

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Damn, I love this old Mac.

Edited by - akaMarko on 09 Feb 2003 08:15:22Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  08:34:34
Very decent, indeed!

. . . and welcome to the 68kMLA!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

akaMarko
Starting Member

Canada
3 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2003 :  16:28:24
Hi All,

Just to let you know, all went well with the swap and everything is up and running fine. The best part, I have the machine networking with my B&W G3. I'm a happy camper.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2003 :  00:11:09
fun fun fun! the IIci is a great machine, flexible also, as you can run it sideways or normalways :)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.