All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Apple ][s! woohoo!
Author Topic  
Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2003 :  14:59:28
FINALLY! Me and my friends finally got the 4 apple ][e s and the one gs out of the school! Each one came with a dotmatrix printer, and two 5.25" floppy drives each! The only software we got with them was chemistry stuff, except for the lil gem of appleworks(original) 2 and 3! There is nothing inside of these things that are that special, inspite of them being chem machines. Oh well, they are still cool and I can't wait to mess around with them!

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2003 :  15:24:57
Congrats on the ][][][][. There's nothing like the fun of learning new things about old machines. And they've got cool dual floppies from back when floppies were floppy.

*wistfully thinks of 8" floppies, CPM, punch cards, and the smell of paper tape in the morning*

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2003 :  09:17:34
I'm thinking... if you have AppleShare something or other on an old mac... cant you network boot those Apple II computers? maybe it was something a GX could do to the others... or a mac to a GS but that would be cool... especially if you had a mac with lots of HDD space... store all apple II stuff on a Q7oo or something

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2003 :  18:15:29
What is that CPM anyway? Some people say it's an OS and others say it's for microcontrollers.Go to Top of Page
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2003 :  19:06:21
hehehe isn't that C/PM right? Control program for Microcomputers...

it was an "OS" I believe... it cost alot too! even more than jag, and more than XP pro even

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  09:34:40
Mmm. Was it like UNIX or DOS or something, or was it it's own unique thing altogether?Go to Top of Page
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  09:55:10
CP/M (Control Program for Microcomputers) was an old floppy-based command line OS from back in the late 70s that ran on microcomputers based on the Intel 8080, Zilog Z80, etc. Both DOS and TOS "borrowed" from C/PM.

G4From128k

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  10:03:01
So it's got commands like DIR and COPY? BTW, what's TOS? Sorry, I didn't come around until the days of System 7 and DOS 5.0 - although I actually started on old Apple //e'sGo to Top of Page
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  11:15:34
quote:

So it's got commands like DIR and COPY? BTW, what's TOS? Sorry, I didn't come around until the days of System 7 and DOS 5.0 - although I actually started on old Apple //e's

The commands are similar, but not identical. See:

http://museum.sysun.com/museum/cpmtab.html

TOS is used on Atari computers.

G4From128k

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2003 :  12:06:44
My family had a MAJORLY droolworthy computer in the 80s, DUAL 8" floppies, a DOT MATRIX PRINTER, and get this......a TEN MEGABYTE HARD DRIVE!!!! seriously expensive machine, somewhere to the tune of around ten grand, for a machine that weighed around 75lbs, and sounded like a learjet on takeoff run when it started. I remember hitting the power switch... the lights would dim out
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2003 :  15:28:29
i know one ][ command:
run menu

lol

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2003 :  15:34:15
I can work my way around pretty well in DOS... especially newer versions that have programs and junk... I'm thinking about backing up the whole PS/1 to something (over parallel or disks)then installing a newer version like 5.0 or 6.22 with windows 3.11... I like dos 5 and 6 better...

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2003 :  16:38:58
Unbelievable how far computing has come, and how advanced UNIX was for its time.Go to Top of Page
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  06:57:01
quote:

I'm thinking... if you have AppleShare something or other on an old mac... cant you network boot those Apple II computers? maybe it was something a GX could do to the others... or a mac to a GS but that would be cool... especially if you had a mac with lots of HDD space... store all apple II stuff on a Q7oo or something

Official 68k videographer

IIRC, you can netboot a IIgs from a Mac, but not a standard ][ or ][e.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  20:42:58
How do you boot a IIgs from a mac? Would be cool to do that since a scsi card that would allow a HD are too dam expensive

Go to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  10:08:32
quote:

How do you boot a IIgs from a mac?

You need AppleShare File Server version 2.x or 3.x on an old Mac. IIRC, 2.x requires System 6 and a dedicated machine while 3.x is System 7 friendly.

How much memory is in the IIgs and do you have 3.5" drives?

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  19:26:27
My IIgs has both 3.5" and 5.25" drive, and a 1mb apple ram expansion (1.25mb total)

Go to Top of Page

SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  20:37:47
I remember back in school working with Apple ][e s . I use to type in the command flash ( I think that's right ) Then all the text you would type after that would flash. It drove my teachers crazy. I would also drive them nuts by keeping a magnet in my pocket. Every time they would give me a floppy to put in I would put it near my pants pocket then put it in the drive. They just couldn't understand how there floppies kept messing up. The best prank I pulled though was sticking a magnet on the bottom of the computer lab's floppy storage box. I don't think they ever figured that one out.

I know, I know. I was a bad boy back then.

I like it slowGo to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  21:22:17
quote:

My IIgs has both 3.5" and 5.25" drive, and a 1mb apple ram expansion (1.25mb total)

You have enough to boot GS/OS! You can get the disk images from a2central.com (be sure to look at the latest KFest announcement ) and either install from floppy. It is possible to stuff enough on a single diskette to grab files from any Macintosh with file sharing enabled. Booting without a floppy is a bit more complex and requires their commercial AppleShare software.

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  03:35:57
I think it was 3.x that could do it... if someone could find a *few* hundred IIgs I could start the largest NetBooting project EVER!!! I'd probably use the IIsi

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.