Quadra / Centris
 My NEW Q-840-A/V
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  09:03:52
Okay, okay, enough bragging. Anyway, I swapped a 4x tray loader along with a 2.1GB and a 4.2GB drive into it, both are 7,200 RPM's. However, I'm having a bitch of a time trying to get to the RAM. This is my first time inside an 840, so I don't know how to remove the drive shelf to get to the Mobo, if anybody has instructions or pics that would be great.

I think I may just abandon my poject IIfx for a while and put my FWB Card in it. Yeah....

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 6
Visit my site!

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  10:42:24
*boiling over with jelousy*

I'm sure the 840av service manual is uploaded onto our 68kmla hotline server. I had a bitch of a time getting at the RAM in my 650 (you have to remove the drive chassis to get a good shot at it), and I didn't know you had to remove the power supply in order to remove the drive chassis. service manual service manual service manual

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  11:04:02
Cool, if I can't find it on our hotline server I'll try MacGuru's.

Whee!

666th poster to the

Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  14:38:06
The Quadra A/Vs are nice macs. Congratulations on your find. BTW, do you know how to use the Video Capture? What cable do you need?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
1 Mac Liberated (more to come)Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  14:51:47
There's two video inputs, one is composite/RCA and the other is S-video. Thus, you need either an s-video cable or just a standard RCA cable that consumer audio/video decks use. I wouldn't bother using it for anything more than 640x480 stills, though. Here's some specs.

A good app to use to do the video capture is Avid Video Shop 3.0, which I have on CD and could upload to my site if you need it.

666th poster to the

Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 15 Jan 2002 14:54:21Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  14:56:56
quote:

Cool, if I can't find it on our hotline server I'll try MacGuru's.

I'll have to make it a point to upload it then...
(or if you find it at MacGuru, then I'll give you the pleasure of uploading [at wintel box at school now])

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  19:48:17
**Drops dead in envy**
How could you?? Why won't you stick to your precious Mac II's? I'm being left in the dust. *cries*

The manual is on the HL server

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  20:14:58
Okay, I got the RAM installed on my own. Boy oh boy, ripping that Mobo out is not for the faint of heart!

Anyway, the Super-Q is running very smoothly...sure it's slow compared to my 7500, but it kicks a lot ass all over the place for onboard audio/video capabilities. I installed avid VideoShop 3 on it and I'm going to test out the video capture.

I also installed the FWB JackHammer in it but because both of the drives I have in it now refuse to mount at startup, i haven't been able to actually use them off it yet. I'm going to have to buy two new UW SCSI drives to put in it instead, then i can start enjoying 20+ MB/sec dataflow. Mmmmmm....

Oh yeah, I painted it black and have some pics and screenshots on my MacGallery page, which by the way has been highly updated! Wow, I didn't know an apple MultiScan 15" could push 1024x768! The Radius Precision 24Xk is a pretty slick card, too, it's soooo much faster than the SuperMac Spectrum 24 IV in my IIfx.

It's quickly becoming my favorite mac in the house...I can't explain it, once you start maxing out one of these things, you just forget about everything else!

666th poster to the

Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 16 Jan 2002 20:31:40Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  21:43:37
quote:

...I can't explain it, once you start maxing out one of these things, you just forget about everything else!

I can,
if NEW TOY!
forget about everything else!
until next, NEW TOY!

hey FW! finish coding this loop for me........

play time!

jt ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  21:51:21
quote:

I think I may just abandon my poject IIfx for a while and put my FWB Card in it. Yeah....

missed that one! musta been tired & bleary eyed!
go to line
NEW TOY!

*drums fingers on desk with HUGE SEG on face, waits just a sec' longer*

where's the coding assist? you tired & delerious now, FW?

*yawn*

now where was i.......oh yeah!

play time!

jt

;-)

*yawn*

*scurries quickly back to fix spelling booboos........*

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Jan 2002 21:54:31

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Jan 2002 21:58:09Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  07:38:24
quote:

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  08:15:53
quote:

quote:

set variable infatuation limit = x
set variable time = 0
time = time + 1
until time = x
then input NEW TOY!
if condition (NEW TOY!)
then (forget about everything else!)
set condition (This is SO Cool!)
if condition (This is SO Cool!)
time = .........

It was a joke! Ask cine', he got it.

jt

p.s. bet you did to, got me!

*figures the point thing has outlived its..........*

;-)

*comes back as he replays dim memories of basic classes, intimidating Z80 based computational wonders (8" floppies too) and drooling at his show and tell exposure to the brand new, just released Kaypro that some lucky bast.......*

p.s. needed a little help, programming classes were a loooooong time ago, made feeble attempt to clarify my experiences of one of life's 'oft recurring little ironies!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 17 Jan 2002 08:28:31Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 17 Jan 2002 :  09:34:02
Reload that previous link, the screenshots weren't right!

666th poster to the

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2002 :  12:55:51
Just an update, over the weekend I stole the ethernet line from my 7500 and connected it to the 840a/v's AAUI port using a AAUI to RJ45 adapter. I put the 68k iCab 2.7 along with Netscape 4.08 on it, and started surfing. While obviously slower than the 7500, it's also quite a bit faster than the FPU-less Duo 280c that I had on a T1 line! Now if only I had an ethernet hub so I don't have to keep switching the ethernet line back and forth...

Oh yeah, I'm also going to try running it through an Asante ethernet Nubus card instead of the on-board AAUI to see if it's any faster. Also, I'm going to do some benchbarks between the 840 and the 7500 and see how far apart they are in term of download speeds on the same connection. Considering the 840's bus speed is only 10MHz slower, they shouldn't be drastically different.

666th poster to the

Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 28 Jan 2002 12:58:24Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2002 :  13:05:28
quote:

While obviously slower than the 7500, it's also quite a bit faster than the FPU-less Duo 280c that I had on a T1 line!

How's the duo hooked up to ethernet? Remember, the docking connector is an 030 pds bridged by an asic on the 040 mobo, a dietary portion of bandwidth (with a "dash" of translation of overhead to spice up your i/o camparisons).
jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2002 :  13:23:43
Well, it was connected to "pretty-durn-fast" T1 line, but even then was somewhat slower than the 840av on 1.5Mbps cable. Not alot slower, but not what I would consider "quick" for a 68k. However, the slower '040 chip, slower bus speed, lack of FPU and of course the magic '030 PDS gateway all made that no big surprise.

Of course, both my Duo's are dead now, so I can't do any benchmarks.

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2002 :  14:23:52
quote:

Well, it was connected to "pretty-durn-fast" T1 line, but even then was somewhat slower than the 840av on 1.5Mbps cable. Not alot slower, but not what I would consider "quick" for a 68k. However, the slower '040 chip, slower bus speed, lack of FPU and of course the magic '030 PDS gateway all made that no big surprise.

You got any 100bt cards to throw into the mix? I'm not convinced you're measuring anything more than relative 10bt implementations. Too many variables and not enough info on the configurations for me to make heads or tails of what or how you're testing. Not criticizing here, just suggesting (constructively I hope) that you take a little time and a step back for analysis of procedures and figure out if you are testing is what you're actually measuring. * ...got me confused, sigh *
jt ;-)

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2002 :  15:09:15
Well, I was going to use a particular file of a particular size on a given server and download it from both the 7500 and the 840 within a few minutes (or as little time as possible, anyway) of eachother, and see what -if any- difference in transfer speed there is. Obviously, there's a difference in the speed of loading pages, but this has a lot more to do with graphics performance, etc., whereas bare transfer speed doesn't.

I also want to try using my Asante 10bt Nubus card in the 840 to see if this effects its performance. Also, the 7500 is using the oboard 10bt RJ-45 port, so I may want to pick up a 10/100 PCI card for it as well (though, I'd have to take one of my current PCI cards out). I don't see that it would be faster, as I'm using a 1.5Mbps line, but it's worth a shot for science. Also, as far as I know there are no 10/100 Nubus cards, but if they do exist, lead me to 'em.

666th poster to the

Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 28 Jan 2002 15:15:05Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  08:23:02
I read from the Macintosh Bible circa 1996 that NuBus probably would be too slow to make 10/100 ethernet possible. That doesn't mean that there aren't any out there though.

Just a few weeks ago, we were singing the "you can't play mp3 files on a 68k" tune...now anything is possible

as I search on google, pricewatch has a few nubus 10/100 cards. (http://www.pricewatch.com/1/211/3670-2.htm) They're a bit on the pricey side though...

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 29 Jan 2002 08:24:57Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  08:40:40
Whoa! $158? No thanks, I think this 10bT Nubus card is good enough. I didn't get to do a thorough test last night, however, I did find that even though I like iCab's UI better, Netscape 4.08 tends to be significantly faster at loading pages and jumping between pages than it. If anybody else can give their thoughts on this, that would be great.

666th poster to the

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  08:53:14
a 10/100 card won't do a scrap of good unless:

the other end of the connection is ALSO 100Mbps, and all switches, hubs, routers and brdiges between them can do 100Mbps.

If you don't have an S-Video cable, use an ADB cable. They are the same thing, except the S-video usually has more sheilding. This also suggests that you can use S-video cables if you need extra long ADB connections, or something. That works too. I've done it often.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  09:48:43
Yes! Freedom from those very short curly-type ADB cables!!! I was always wondering why the S-Video ports on some of the A/V wintel boxes here at school looked very similar to ADB...silly me...

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  09:53:22
quote:

I read from the Macintosh Bible circa 1996 that NuBus probably would be too slow to make 10/100 ethernet possible. That doesn't mean that there aren't any out there though.

Just a few weeks ago, we were singing the "you can't play mp3 files on a 68k" tune...now anything is possible

Never, trust any single source text, anywhere, anytime.....
If they say it can't be done, it may take a little while.

Have you guys ever heard of hacking into ADB (SCSI, Serial, or floppy would be ok, straight into the i/o bus would be most versatile/difficult) on 68k's thru a "HYDRA" or "HYDRA I2C" interface on the mobo. When did the cuda chips first appear on mobos? The Linux guys are knockin' at the gates, but I wanna get around the ROM barrier and bang on the i/o lines directly under the Mac OS. I2C and the SMBus subset inter-ic comm bus might be a good way to wedge slow USB into our 68k toys.
=8-}
jt

p.s. Back again, forgot to be specific regarding OS and I don't want another pointless discussion regarding OS 8.x/USB toolkit requirements to get started. There might have to be a system patch, but what I am describing will not require anything more than System 6, because the TRANSLATED usb device's signals will be masquerading as a standard i/o port. Inexpensive interface hardware exists and the development tools available seem to be adequate. It would be ironic if the embedded proc on a transltor card has more horsepower than a Mac Plus it's hoodwinkin', but stranger things have happened. My microwave is "smarter" than the IBM mainframes my dad programmed.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 29 Jan 2002 10:20:46Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  10:15:16
Cool, I can use my black s-video cable to complement the black theme I've got going on...yeah...

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  10:40:38
quote:

Cool, I can use my black s-video cable to complement the black theme I've got going on...yeah...

Crap-Shack has the connectors & cable, got some to make up custom straight cables and prune back the hydra growing out of the KVM switch in my desk, haven't tried it yet though. Does anybody know a source for the sockets (I haven't checked the shack's catalog yet either)?
jt

btw, your crossover cable handles 100bt? 1000? what's the i/o on the T1 and is it hooked up to a 10/100 for access? at work? If you're going to spent your tax money, a 10/100 hub might make sense, marchie's got a good point, and you had mentioned gettin' a hub..

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  10:52:59
Unfortunately, I won't be playing with my 68k's on the LAN here at work. I have a new supervisor who's pretty by-the-book, and frowns on bringing outside hardware into the office. Damned fascists!

However, I am planning to get a 10/100 hub for home, along with a 10/100 PCI card for my 7500 (it'll swap for the Bravado 1000, which I'm not using at present), along with a gaggle of crossover cables for the LC475, IIci and ColorClassic that will eventualy be connected to the hub as well.

God I love RoadRunner IP!

666th poster to the

Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 29 Jan 2002 10:55:30Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  11:01:38
quote:

a gaggle of crossover cables for the LC475, IIci and ColorClassic that will eventualy be connected to the hub as well.

Pick up a coupler (rj45f-rj45f) and try the crossover coupled to a straight cable. If it works, run straights to the hub location and switch 'em there for the time being if you're only concerned w/ the web connection. you'd need two couplers and a short crossover there for inter-mac networking. Might buy some time for 100bt to get down to current 10bt pricing due to 1000 pressure. It'll sure be easier than climbin' behind all your boxes.
jt

Go to Top of Page

raWr

Tuvalu
491 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2002 :  13:09:19
quote:

...jelousy

No entry found for jelousy.

1 suggestion found:

jealousy

For better results, try our search tips.

How *dare* you call yourself nitpick!

-raWr

Fleet Covert Ops
Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2002 :  13:25:48
quote:

quote:

...jelousy

No entry found for jelousy.

1 suggestion found:

jealousy

For better results, try our search tips.

How *dare* you call yourself nitpick!

Sorry, son, I hardly call myself that...the comrades here gave me that name...

--------------------
keeper of the website and beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™
--------------------Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Apr 2002 :  15:25:48
quote:

Yes! Freedom from those very short curly-type ADB cables!!! I was always wondering why the S-Video ports on some of the A/V wintel boxes here at school looked very similar to ADB...silly me...

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™

Heh i'm surprised you didn't know that. I do it all the time whenever i plug into my Presentation System, so that i can get a fair distance away from the TV, so that i can get the full experience. If i sit too close to the TV, it looks all blurry an ick, so i put the Mac in the middle of the loungeroom, and run a S-Video cable from the Mac to the keyboard.

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6!!!

QFW68KPB Project SUCCESS!!!!!Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 07 May 2002 :  14:17:38
OMG OMG OMG

Sorry Cinemafia

I got inside my Quadra & have been having fun replacing memory for ages. If you have specific questions about the Quadra 840av feel free to email me, I'm no expert but I am certainly on my way.

After working with st's the Quadra 840av is a joy to work with!!!!!!

to get to the motherboard you undo 4 screws at the back and slide the shell off, then you undo 1 big screw in the middle of the motherboard, then unplug all wires(power supply wire was unplugged at begginning) easy to remember where wires go back but I did connect the audi wire back to front and lost audio as a result but have rectifies that now, then slide motherboard to the left and it should slip out, it takes a little practice but after a few go's it is easy and fun.

Scott

shaktimanGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2002 :  08:16:10
Oh, I know how to get it out now, shakti, but I sure don't look forward to having to do it again anytime soon.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Regular Disappear!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.