All Forums
 Lounge
 XP rant!
Author Topic  
Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2003 :  18:49:25
I'm currently in an internet cafe near my house making use of their nice fast internet connection :-)

Unfortunately this means using XP. After not using a PC for about 6 months and that was running windows 2000 I have forgot just how bad they are (it doesn't help that I am using a 20 inch monitor stuck at 800*600). The interface looks like it was designed by Tomy! people complain about X being kidified it's nothing compared to this playdo nightmare!

Using IE really makes me appreciate the Quartz anti alliasing in X. Not to mention windows stop responding randomly. It's as if I can only use each window in IE to view about 10 pages before it refuses to do anything. The stop button is active even when there is nothing to stop? This POS has crashed more times in half an hour than my Mac has since I started using X full time several months ago!

Not long to go now, I can't wait to get out of here, 1 disc of downloads, 1 disc from the-underdogs :-)

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 Cube

Kami

Canada
132 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2003 :  21:23:46
quote:
Using IE really makes me appreciate the Quartz anti alliasing in X.

I agree wholeheartedly. The crispness of text in X is doing my eyes good.

K

Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2003 :  10:24:09
Oy! You're telling me!

I have to register a fair amount of XP laptops where I work in the library. I find the colorschemes eye wrenchingly ugly.

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

Beanie
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2003 :  18:01:41
heh... I (was) a full-time XP user, and I have to agree. It's ugly, can't be customized without hacking or buying Microsoft Plus (Don't like blue? Then try grey. Don't like grey or blue? Too bad, pick one). It's slow, clunky, and though the NT kernel has finally reached the age of maturity, XP still depends on many applications that crash on a regular basis. I don't use internet explorer at all (I use Mozilla), since IE is susceptible to lots of nasty problems. (Remember that hole in the Help system that could make the user run an app just by typing in a URL? Mozilla would ignore it.) Outlook Express is slower than molasses during a Chicago winter and has more holes than a wheel of Swiss, Windows Media Player is unstable, and IIS is, well, IIS. I'm almost a full-time FreeBSD user, and keep Basilisk II and my Macintosh SE running quite a bit.

And why can VisualBasic Script (VBS) be so malicious? Granted, you could always make a batch script that formatted someone's hard drive, but why is anyone able to use VBS to read someone's address book, and then replicate it to all of those poor people?

Why do I still have XP installed if I hate it so much? Two reasons--Gaming (I haven't bothered to put the effort in to get Halflife running under BSD with WineX) and programming (since all of my assignments must compile under Microsoft Visual C++ 6.)

Alright, enough ranting from the kid who doesn't do anything here but lurk.

--Beanie

Edited by - Beanie on 05 Feb 2003 18:03:39Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2003 :  23:26:28
I use WinXP through necessity, (compatability with an accounting package used by my company) and I kind of like it. it looks rather crappy with the standard backgrounds that come with it, though if you put something from www.hebus.com or www.digitalblasphemy.com on it, it looks half decent with the blue/green taskbar at 2 levels, quicklaunch on top, and taskbar on bottom. If you dont like the standard "Luna" (BLEH) themes, you can always go with WindowBlinds, it is a cool program that allows you to customize your interface more than standard window themes, though in WXP, it works cooperativly with the MSWINDOWS themes setting.

I still like OSX better, but I need windows, I would much rather use Redhat or SuSE, but that is not feasable at this time. I use IE with some problems, though I have found Mozilla, etc. to be more crashy on my particular machine, due to the fact that Explorer is built into windows, and running all the time whether you like it or not.

All in all, my personal preference is OSX, Linux, BeOS, A/UX, etc. with Winblows at the bottom of the list.
CCC

Lieutennant Commander (Pronounced Leftennant)
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2003 :  23:18:03
XP is the owner of the famous "Fisher-Price" Interface.

I just turned my XP box to default old windows style, and turned off all the useless GUI junk they put on and now it's so much nicer.

Of course I'm going back to Windows 2000 when I find my restore CD I made with Ghost.

Right now I use Windows because there are a few applications (Trillian, MIC 1.5, Photoshop,DC++, Bit Torrent) that work better on a mid powered PC than on my older PowerMacs. (WGS 6150, and you can stop laughing :)

Anyways, right now my macs outnumber my one PC, 6 to 1 so I think I'm safe. ;-) There isn't anything I can't do.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2003 :  00:10:24
The first thing i did when i took the shrinkwrap off my Dell was to switch from the Aqua knockoff known as Luny (get it?) to the Win 2k theme.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 07 Feb 2003 :  08:23:10
I am using my mom's PC... I dont like luny either... but won't turn it off because it's not my own the .NET server defaults to the 2000 interface, and in fact doesn't include luny!!! WHEEEEness

iWin
i'm back

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.