All Forums
 PowerBook
 Utilizing a Powerbook 160
Author Topic  
titok16

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  21:37:24
So, I recently got a Powerbook 160. I love the darned thing. Its soooo much cooler than my ibook. Nah, but it is pretty sick. Its like a really dark dark grey, so I think it hasnt been exposed to the sun much (which is why Im not gonna piant it).
Software isnt a problem, I think most anything that is from back then (7.5.3 is free on this website I found...http://vieuxmac.com/DOWNLOAD/...http://vieuxmac.com/DOWNLOAD/....

but what I really want to know is how do I connect stuff to it. I know theres that HD ### thing, and Im pretty sure its not that outdated as it was on bronze pb's, but where can i get a scsi adapter or something? I know most of you probably use this port....What do you attatch?
any help es appreciado
graciac
Tito

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  07:26:11
The SCSI port on the back of most powerbooks is called a HD30 port. Most of the Mac catalogs (Macmall,Macwarehouse, etc) should sell HD30 adapters.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  12:40:35
Actually, it's the HDI-30, no HD30. There are two type of Powerbook SCSI cables out there.

HDI-30 (Light Grey/Platinum): This is your standard Powerbook SCSI cable. You can connect HD's, CD-ROM's and other fun SCSI devices to the Centronics 50-pin connector on the end.

HDI-29 (Powerbook Grey): This is the Powerbook System Cable. This works with some Powerbooks (All except the 100, 150, and a few others, can't remember them all.) The cable connects to the Powerbook and a desktop system. The Powerbook Setup control panel will let you select what SCSI ID it uses, and then it can be used as a SCSI HD.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  18:02:17
quote:

All except the 100

Said cable was actually developed FOR the PB100. Sony put SCSI Disk Mode on the 100 when they designed it (produced too if memory serves? an assist here guys?) for apple. Everyone who tried it LOVED it, and SCSIDM was the specific feature that prompted me to hunt down one of the very last 100's available(new). Apple put SCSIDM in the spec for succeeding revs of the MongoBook Lineup and the revolutionary, svelt, ultra-cool, thought to be forever out of the reach of mere mortals, Duo Line, where apple and the entire notebook manufacturing world copied almost every feature of my beloved BabyPB, with the single exception of the most ergonomically perfect pointing device in history....and the crappy LCD too I guess.

IMHO, of course.

jt

back again for editing/disclaimer posting: Any of the above terminology which might be misinterpreted as disparaging to computers cherished a/o coveted by members of the 68kMLA, are hereby labeled as, and are heretofore required to be interpreted only as: another feeble and annoying attempt to employ an obscu......

Whatever....I was exaggerating.................and rambling again.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 15 Jan 2002 18:05:43

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 15 Jan 2002 18:22:49Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.