Compact Macs
 Classic installing HD
Author Topic  
jrtech
Starting Member

Canada
2 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  18:41:20
Greetings I am a first time poster and am glad to have found this site. I have been reviving a classic I found in the local Value Village in town. It does not have any HD and I was wondering if I can put a HD in it from say a LC which I happen to have. Also is there any size limit on the HD and do I have to do anything other than just install it. Thanks again

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2003 :  06:37:12
Any one-third height 50 pin SCSI drive will fit and work.
Assuming that there's no system on the drive, just boot up off the Disk Tools disk, format the drive, then install a System on there.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2003 :  06:52:22
Welcome to the Army!

The answer is almost probably definitely maybe YES. The classic has space for an internal SCSI drive and I'm reasonably confident that the drive in an LC is the same form factor as the space in the classic. The only two issues that might cause trouble is: 1) getting any needed mounting hardware (screws, brackets, etc.) and 2) the system enablers in the system folder in the LC's drive if you wish to boot from that HD. A clean install of the System on the HD after you have moved it to the Classic should give you a good system folder. Otherwise it should a straight forward job of unplugging the HD in one location, plugging it into the other location.

If you are interested in a much more ambitious hack, you may be able to get that entire LC inside of your classic. Google about for references to "macintosh" or "apple" and "mystic" and "classic" and you will find info on people who have massively upgraded their little machines.

Good luck,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2003 :  06:54:14
LOL! ~Coxy, ya beat me to the punch! Victory to the succinct!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.