All Forums
 Lounge
 Maxtor Firewire Disk Drive Misery
Author Topic  
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  16:38:13
I've got an 80 GB Maxtor 1394 External Storage firewire hard disk that has hosed its extent BTree on a very full 70GB HFS+ partition. Attempts to mount the disk get the ominous "Disk unreadable, do you want to Initialize this disk?" dialog box. NO!!!! HELP!!!!!

Anybody got any recommendations for recovering the data? (I do have backups, but reassembling all that data would be no fun). Apple's Disk First Aid claims there is a missing catalog entry and that it can't repair the drive. Should I use Norton? FWB Hard Disk Tools? Tech Tools? or all of the above??? I'd be doing the recovery with the drive attached to G4 AGP running 9.0.4.

And if attempting a recovery through the firewire interface and the firewire-IDE bridge inside the drive is a "bad" idea, should I disassemble the drive and try to recover the data while mounting the IDE drive internally???

Any suggestions would be very very very much appreciated.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial Symmetry

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  17:00:27
I think I have the same Maxtor Drive as you, and I think I had the same exact problem as you, and I couldn't figure out how to make it recover, so after about two weeks of mourning over the day and a half of MP3s i was loosing and a half-dozen other things, I decided to reformat... There could be a way, and if you figure it out, let me know so that when it happens again to me I can use your restore method... I was quite bummed.

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  18:05:45
I'd say try out any drive utilities you can. I thought for sure Disk First Aid could fix BTree things, but I guess not. Search trhough the utilities you have for it and see yif anything has an option to restore or update, or whatever the BTree.
I haven't had this thing happen to me, but what drive troubles I have had have been mostly fixed by FWB, or Drive 10 now that I am in OS X.

Dunno, if that helps or not, but lets hope for the best.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  23:53:00
I'd take it out of the enclosure and work on it as an internal.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  18:46:43
I've heard good things about DiskWarrior.
It may be cheaper to take the drive to your dealer rather than buy thwe software, though.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  19:05:54
quote:

I'd take it out of the enclosure and work on it as an internal.

I'll second that suggestion. If bog intended for drives to run on a firewire interface, he woulda made 'em run firewire natively!

What did you use to format the drive in the first place?

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  19:49:47
I'll second disk warrior, I've used it many many times on many different computers and it has performed flawlessly.

Norton probably could probably fix the drive aswell but I'm not convinced about Norton's reliability and personally I think it may have cause as many problems as it has fixed. Only last week my dad was using it before installing X and it crashed whilst repairing the disk!!

Also unless your firewire connections is flakey I'd just leave it in the case, although I'd make sure no other firewire devices were connected

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  09:50:00
First, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and support.

~Coxy's comment that it might be cheaper to take the disk to a dealer for repair is probably true. Unfortunately, I am not sure if I can trust any of the local dealers. Also, I am inclined to buy some official disk utility software as this little event has reminded me of my vulnerabilities.

I'm inclined agree with Flash and jt and remove the drive and work on it internally. I have had some flakiness with either firewire or Maxtor's firewire drivers (some sort of freeze that locks up transfers to/from the drive and for which unplugging and replugging the firewire cable solves the problem).

Re jt's question, the drive was setup with Maxtor's own utilities that came with the drive and passed various checks by both Maxtor and Apple Disk First Aid utilities with no problems. I have used Disk First Aid repeatedly on the drive without ever finding any problems. I was trying, unsuccessfully, to get the drive to work with an older PPC Mac with a PCI firewire card when the disk got very cranky whilst trying to use HEAT Utility's firewire drivers. The second ugly fact about the drive is that the partition is very very very full (only 40 MB available on a 69 GB partition). The disk was an archive disk, not actively used, so I had "thought" that it would not have fragmentation and related extents catalog corruption problems.

I guess these problems are what I get for using 3rd-party firewire drivers (HEAT) to talk to a 3rd-party disk (Maxtor) thru a 3rd-party firewire card (OrangeMicro) on an older machine (8500 running OS 8.6) with a 3rd-party processor (Newertech 200 MHz 604e). If it weren't for the crying, I'd be laughing that anything works at all.

Poking about other forums and my cross-posting at Applefritter corroborates ~Coxy and Gothikon's suggestion that DiskWarrior is the way to go. Norton looks like it might work but it also seems to have caused serious problems for some people. I found several MacAddict postings by enraged Norton users, but no postings suggesting that Disk Warrior destroyed anything. I have to do a little more research on Da Penguin's suggestion to use FWB.

My continued Googling did find this interesting set of recommendations for circa OS 8 utilities:

http://www.sciencequest.org/support/computers/mac/repair_topics/top_tools.html

Thanks again for all the suggestions. (BTW, 68kMLA is a much more helpful place, even though I'm trying to solve a non-68k Mac problem )

Cheers all,

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  10:40:34
quote:

I'm inclined agree with Flash and jt and remove the drive and work on it internally. I have had some flakiness with either firewire or Maxtor's firewire drivers (some sort of freeze that locks up transfers to/from the drive and for which unplugging and replugging the firewire cable solves the problem).

PULL IT! FIREWIRE IS AN ABOMINATION!

. . . present company excepted of course, fw!

quote:

Re jt's question, the drive was setup with Maxtor's own utilities that came with the drive and passed various checks by both Maxtor and Apple Disk First Aid utilities with no problems . . .

Email Maxtor tech support in that case, I wouldn't be surprised at all if an engineer were to take a personal interest in this case. You never know what kind of useful info can be obtained in solving these crazy problems that can save a lot of problems from cropping up in the future.

quote:

Poking about other forums and my cross-posting at Applefritter corroborates ~Coxy and Gothikon's suggestion that DiskWarrior is the way to go. Norton looks like it might work but it also seems to have caused serious problems for some people. I found several MacAddict postings by enraged Norton users, but no postings suggesting that Disk Warrior destroyed anything. I have to do a little more research on Da Penguin's suggestion to use FWB.

That's why I asked about the formatting software, I have all three (IIRC, I think I have DiskWarrior . . . in a box . . . somewhere around here . . . ) and wouldn't suggest HDT unless you used it to format the drive, even tho I LOVE IT!

Norton has saved my @$$ many times, but chewed big bloody chunks off of it on more than one occasion. =8-/

I haven't used DiskWarrior (if that's what it was . . . Quicken just confirmed the purchase of "drivewarrior" :rolleyes:) more than a couple of times, but it seemed like the thing to use for BTree unpruning, IIRC! LOL!

quote:

I guess these problems are what I get for using 3rd-party firewire drivers (HEAT) to talk to a 3rd-party disk (Maxtor) thru a 3rd-party firewire card (OrangeMicro) on an older machine (8500 running OS 8.6) with a 3rd-party processor (Newertech 200 MHz 604e). If it weren't for the crying, I'd be laughing that anything works at all.

Been there, done that . . . repeatedly!
. . . used the freakin' T-shirt to mop up the tears and bloody butt bits last time around . . . =8-/

quote:

Thanks again for all the suggestions. (BTW, 68kMLA is a much more helpful place, even though I'm trying to solve a non-68k Mac problem )

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.