All Forums
 Lounge
 Space Shuttle Destroyed...MUCH SADNESS
Author Topic  
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  12:06:57

At 9 AM this morning, the Space Shuttle disintegrated during reentry.

MUCH SADNESS

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial Symmetry

Edited by - g4from128k on 01 Feb 2003 12:07:51

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  12:10:53

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

MacMoose

USA
176 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  12:20:05

------------------
MacMoose
Benevolent Genius, 68k MLA
Total 68K Macs liberated: 22 and counting
------------------
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  13:32:21

As I said looking back on the challenger incident (I was barely even a thought then), I can only be thankful that there are so few accidents in this space program. The amount of dangerous work every single mission is, and only two shuttle accidents have happened, I am quite thankful. However this does not overshadow such tragic events.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  13:41:10

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders CommunityGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  13:50:21
when I was 5, Challenger exploded, as I was watching it live on TV.

I didn't talk for 3 days, and didn't start behaving normally for a week. My parents were very worried.

No such hope this time.
I have to work today and tomorrow, on the phones here at the ISP.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  14:53:38
Complete bummer

People dying is not good

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  15:28:23

- Rick D. Husband
- William C. McCool
- Michael P. Anderson
- David M. Brown
- Kalpana Chawla
- Laurel Clark
- Ilan Ramon

may God rest their souls.

also:
Apollo I - 27 Jan 1967
Challenger - 28 Jan 1986
Columbia - 01 Feb 2003
eerie coincidence...

-------------
Vintage Camera Liberation Army
The non-authorized offshoot of the 68kmla
68k Macs Liberated: 2
...because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Edited by - llamaboy487 on 01 Feb 2003 16:12:00Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  16:02:43
quote:

Apollo I: 27 Jan 1967
Challenger: 28 Jan 1986
Columbia: 01 Feb 2003
eerie coincidence...

-------------
Vintage Camera Liberation Army
The non-authorized offshoot of the 68kmla
68k Macs Liberated: 2
...because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I know

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  17:39:17
quote:

when I was 5, Challenger exploded, as I was watching it live on TV.

I didn't talk for 3 days, and didn't start behaving normally for a week. My parents were very worried.

No such hope this time.
I have to work today and tomorrow, on the phones here at the ISP.

The work is a good thing then, I just finished up my deadline stuff and have time to dwell on this one too . . .

I remember every launch, from the Shepard's first Mercury-Redstone ride thru the end of routine live coverage of the program. Every tragedy is clear, from the fatal pad fire to the news critters rediscovery of the space program during Apollo 13's disaster, miraculous escape from the clutches of fate, and triumphant return from so far away. The Challenger disaster on a mission barely begun . . . and now Columbia, lost with all hands just 16 minutes from home. . .

There are no words . . .

the sound of talking heads is just too much . . .

. . . it's DISGUSTING!

jt .

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  20:20:54

I remember I was in 3rd or 4th grade when the Challanger accident occured.

Many condolences go out to the families of the victims...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hardware Page: http://cineware.sytes.netGo to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  21:03:17
I just don't know what to say.

Today started out so perfectly- I spent the morning laying in bed with my girlfriend Courtney, just enjoying being in love. I got out of the house, and I was walking to meet my sister at her job, when Courtney called me on my cell phone. She'd just turned on the news, and, knowing what a space buff I am, she called to let me know what was going on. At this point, it was only about 8 or 9-am here in Nevada, so not too long after the disaster. I rushed to my sister's job, hooked up my PowerBook to the network there, and we watched in horror as stream after stream of news-feed came down, showing the fiery demise of Columbia and her crew.

I just can't say how deeply this has effected me. All the news channels keep harping on what nationality's the crew were- "This guy's from Israel, that lady's from India...." etc., but all I can think is that the whole of humanity has suffered a great loss today. Those people, who so willingly put their lives on the line to ascend into space, are in my eyes the living embodiment of everything good and pure the human race is capable of. When they go into orbit, or enter the ISS, they're not just doing their job- they're building, with their bare hands, a real future for humanity! I get so angry, every time I hear someone moaning "Oh, NASA is such a waste of money- look at all the problems we have here on Earth!"- they just don't get it! Maybe I've read one too many SciFi stories, but I really believe in the ideas and ideals of the Space Program! How the hell are we, as a species, supposed to aspire to greatness if we turn our backs on the heaven's above?! All throughout history, mankind has shed so much blood, killed so many, just for the right to 'own' a plot of dirt, a font of water, a well of oil... Finally, we've found a frontier that no one owns, and no one must die defending or invading! The loss of the brave explorers aboard Columbia is a tragic moment in human history, but at least they died as peaceful explorers, rather then as conquering invaders, as has been the case with most other 'new frontiers'.
I guess my point is that, while we must take the time to reflect on what we can learn from today's tragedy, we MUST GO ON! Not just to honor the dead, but because it's the right thing to do...... the only thing to do.
When (not if!) NASA's budget is cut back even further, we've gotta SPEAK UP! If you feel like I do, then we must make our voices heard, loud and clear: Instead of wearing blinders, our leaders must take the initiative to not abandon one of the greatest endeavors ever undertaken by anyone, anywhere, but rather to nurture and support the research and development of the space program. Again, it's the right thing to do.
I can't help but wonder- would this have happened, if NASA had gotten better financial / political support? I've heard stories (true?) of people at NASA who have had to resort to scrounging eBay and junk shops, looking for old/obsolete parts, because they just don't have the money to keep up with current tech. for the shuttle/ISS programs. Not to mention the sad state of the Russian space program- Star City is little more then a ghost town these days... makes me wonder where all this is headed.
If the American government had spent a little more on NASA, and held off building one or two new bombers, well.... you can see where I'm going.
Okay, I'll ease off the ranting for a bit- sorry, folks, I just really needed to let some of that out.
Thanks,
SpaceBoy

Edited by - SpaceBoy on 01 Feb 2003 21:06:14Go to Top of Page

geekwurkz

USA
156 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  21:55:21
Will the ISS ever get finished now? After Challenger they didn't fly again for two years. Is that going to happen again? Bush, with his little war, is most likely going to try to twist this horrible disaster into an act of terrorisim even though NASA has said it was impossible for that to happen.

Let this period represent a moment of silence for all those involved.

-------------------------
DJ Corps
"Bass is Good"

68k Liberations: 3 (PB 140, Centris 610, Classic)
A-II Liberations: 1 (IIgs)
In Progress: ?? (too many too count)Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  01:49:24
I heard that the next mission, which should be on schedule, will be having more supplies that they could use for keeping the people on the station for longer.

let's go find Mir! we'll all use that one for awhile :P

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

titok16

USA
116 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  02:26:47
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND ALL CIVILIZED NATIONS, WHO HOLD THE HEIGHT OF TECHNOLOGY, SCIENCE, AND CIVILIZATION. AND MAY GOD CURSE ALL THOSE WHO WISH TO ATTACK NATIONS OF SUCH STATURE.
Somone should land a space shuttle on Saddams head.
tito

Tito
Hawaiian 68k sniper
Macs Liberated:
Powerbook 145(kia)
Powerbok 150(kia)
Powerbook 160(kia)
Apple \\c (now dead)Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  03:01:10
they also say it's not terrorists...

I think that it may be because they are running shuttles that are 23 years old... my school has a hard time running 19 year old busses... what makes them think that a shuttle that's 4 years older will work very well?

they say that it's age is more accurately measured in number of missions than the year it was made... but age has something to do with it I'm sure

I just hope that they may be working on some other possibilities for ways to do these missions... including, a new type of craft...

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  09:34:34
I sent the following to family and friends yesterday. Today, spurred on by the Columbia disaster, I added to the roster of space organizations I support, by joining the Mars Society, which Robert Zubrin founded. They are very active and well worth supporting.

quote:

This is a terrible day, as bad as the day the Challenger was lost. But
it should inspire us to redouble our efforts in space.

It is way past time for a new launch system to replace the aging shuttle
fleet.

You can help. Join the National Space Society, the Planetary Society,
and the Space Frontier Foundation (I belong to all of them). Keep after
your senators and representatives. Support manned (and unmanned) space
exploration, and the commercialization of space, to help bring down the
costs.

Let us all praise those valiant astronauts who gave their lives in
pursuit of the future of humanity and the unlimited opportunities that
await us in space, the next frontier, "where no one has gone before."

/Mr Lynn

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn’t have a space program.
--Larry Niven

Edited by - mrlynn on 02 Feb 2003 09:36:32Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  10:53:09
quote:

--Larry Niven

AMEN!

I'm not much of a joiner, but I just might . . .

Which of those groups do you think does the most effective lobbying for a viable space program?

jt .

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  21:00:32
quote:

I think that it may be because they are running shuttles that are 23 years old... my school has a hard time running 19 year old busses... what makes them think that a shuttle that's 4 years older will work very well?

Thats what i reckon, too. But yes, i still cant' believe it.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  22:17:02
hehehehe... well none of us have too much of a problem running 19 year old macs... so I guess that NASA is fine....

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  10:10:58
quote:

I'm not much of a joiner, but I just might . . .

LOL! Neither am I--but then I am, too (it's my last name)!

quote:

Which of those groups do you think does the most effective lobbying for a viable space program?

Probably the NSS. They're a little whimpy for my taste, but they do actually lobby Congress.

Next, the Planetary Society--historically they have favored unmanned exploration over manned space flight, but the appeal of Mars is bringing them around. Bimonthly journal has great pics. They are funding an independent experiment with a solar-sail vehicle, scheduled to launch this coming summer.

The Space Frontier Foundation seems to be recovering from organizational troubles, but they have put on some interesting-sounding conferences in the past, amid other activities.

The Mars Society is actively pushing for a long-term Mars exploration strategy, with technology development, conferences, etc. Seems very well organized; good website, too, with a 'mall' where anything you buy helps support the Society. Read Robert Zubrin's _The Case for Mars__, esp. the Epilogue.

All of these organizations are devoted to the civilian side of space travel and exploration. My personal view is that the top priority will have to be space defense (our military now depends heavily on satellites, which are inherently vulnerable to attack--something the Chinese are actively working on). Space defense means we have to develop the means to defend our own satellites, and to attack an enemy's, if necessary. The civilian space program can piggy-back on the military one, just as the commercial airline industry did on the military development of jet aircraft.

But that's a big subject. . . .

/Mr Lynn

--Larry NivenGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  17:57:48
quote:

hehehehe... well none of us have too much of a problem running 19 year old macs... so I guess that NASA is fine....

Official 68k videographer

yeah, but a space shuttle is a lot more complex than an original Macintosh, remember.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.