Lounge
 Dude, I'm getting (got) a Dell!!!
Author Topic  
maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  02:42:04
Picked 'er up today. Quite nice for a Winbox too, i must say. Its got a 2 Ghz P4 (none of that Celeron crap for me, thankyouverymuch), 256 megs of DDR RAM, 40 gig HD, DVD, a very nice pair of Harman/Kardon speakers with a sub, 17" display, and all the other standard Dimension 2350 stuff. Its running XP Professional, which i must say, is better than i expected. I was going to get XP Home, but I HATE product activation!!!!

Btw, if it sounds like i'm becoming a full-on PC guy, I"m not. I have been a Mac user for almost 10 years now, and am staying that way. Its just that i need a PC for uni. It might stink, but if it gets me that job at 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, i'm all for it.

Btw, I have these speakers hooked up to my iMac at the moment running iTunes, and they're very very nice! Harman/Kardon ROCKS!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  02:52:46
hehehe... you didn't go with the OptiPlex eh? well... If you treat it right, if you treat it half as decent as you treat your macs... it should last forever... (almost all computers cept IPEX do.....)

welcome to being truly multiplatform! (which remindsme.........)

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  22:50:24
Are you going to put Linux/*BSD on it and make it a DualBoot machine? I've got RedHat, Slackware, Knoppix, and NetBSD CDs, email me if you want one.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  20:42:30
Hmm, maybe i should get like a 10 gigger or something and throw a copy of Linux on it...

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  22:30:26
yeah that would be cool...

put DARWIN onto it!!!! Apple on your dell!!!!

and then see if you can't load like... OpenOffice and the GIMP on that... you'll never need windows!

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  17:36:34
quote:

put DARWIN onto it!!!! Apple on your dell!!!!

Hell yes! Even th ough its not quite OS X, it'd still feel sort of like home...

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  22:14:43
hehehe... well I've been set back on the current WU... as the Powerbook crashed in a experiment the mirroring key is bad

dual monitors on the Powerbook is COOL though

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2003 :  20:00:34
I just hope that for your sake nothing goes wrong with it. Dell has some of the worst tech support. 90% of the time you get some guy from India who thinks he knows everything and insists,"Trust me, your problem is software."
Dell expects their customers to diagnose problems. My last job was a Dimension 4300 that was less than a year old. It was experiencing system freezes and reboots just as it reached the Windows XP desktop. At length, I mounted a clip-on fan so that it would blow over the motherboard and then all the problems disappeared. That pretty much eliminates the possibility of a software problem, right? "Trust me, your problem is software." Meanwhile, the warranty expired and my customer had to pay $150 to get it extended. I did finally get the motherboard, processor, and RAM replaced, but not until I talked to a guy with an Italian accent. Guess what? Problem fixed. I guess "problem was not software" after all.

Apparently, the problem stemmed from the heat sink pad between the processor and the heat sink not conducting enough heat away from the processor, and that eventually overstressed it and ruined it.

My advice to you:
Scrape off the pad Dell put on the heat sink and put on a thin layer of silicone heat sink compound from an electronics store. It works way better and is what should have been used in the first place.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III, FPU, 20/80/enet, 7.5.5, Mail Server

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 1G/512k L2, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIe

Edited by - The Lightning Stalker on 04 Feb 2003 20:03:12Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.