All Forums
 68k Software
 X Window for Debian m68k
Author Topic  
TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  03:46:11
I need xwindows for debian m68k. I finally figured how to install it on the "SuperMac" today and i got linux thinking i would see a GUI but nothing. I need help with installing too so if u can tell me where i can get and install that would rock cause i dont know how to pull it from my mac partition to my linux one. thanks!

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napolean

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops
N.F.C Newton Force Captain
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  12:59:21
quote:

I need xwindows for debian m68k. I finally figured how to install it on the "SuperMac" today and i got linux thinking i would see a GUI but nothing. I need help with installing too so if u can tell me where i can get and install that would rock cause i dont know how to pull it from my mac partition to my linux one

Got any removeable drives setup to run on win..../linux & mac?
A REALLY nasty workaround for file transfer would be a 3-way sneakernet, you've pro'ly got mac-w down pat and there's all kinds of info and FAQ's to get the rest of the way into your linux partition.....blech!

I assume you've tried all the, usual linux sites?

debian.org/doc/FAQ/
gnome.org

Don't know if those sites are still out there, cribbed 'em from Bill McCarty's "Lerning DEB..G/L", 1999, oreilly.com, great book (from the little that I can tell) but it's XFree86 on '386's. B@$*@!* only mentions the mac once as an example of "a GUI"! Still worth a look, IMHO, ya never know where yer gonna find that one little.....

Does anyone have it handy, or know which issue of Mac* (DOS wildcard, snicker, ;-) came with the Linux CD, also from around '99??? Might have had a 68k distribution on it, should probably have info/clues useful to you even if the distributions weren't either Debian or 68k.

Where's the "newbie" recruit with the servers?

Aw! Probably seems like work to him by now ;-)

Let us know how the campaign progresses.

"A CPU is a terrible thing to waste", L.P.

jt

Came back again, forgot to ask if you've got BASH, or another shell up-n-runnin'.

Can either OS see the other's partition at all at this point?

Also, check out stuy.edu, they had a bunch of servers on every platform, info on the configurations, and pretty good training info for incoming H.S. students (Very good BASH tutorials) last time I looked.

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 14 Jan 2002 13:04:05

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 14 Jan 2002 13:27:07Go to Top of Page

TiMacLover

USA
1282 Posts
Posted - 14 Jan 2002 :  21:46:06
I got GNOME now how do i install it? I need to know how to install a file named "Installer" how do i access other sda's in unix cd dev/sda3? after that how to i start the file "installer"? Thanks

jeremy

"I keep my friends close, but I keep my enemies closer"
Napolean

My AOL, AIM Sceen name is got 007s milk

Covert Ops
N.F.C Newton Force Captain
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 15 Jan 2002 :  17:16:06
quote:

I got GNOME

I love the alliteration (not sure if it there's a required 1/10 point deduction for the pronunciation mod though)!

got me too! I never got to the gui middle part of the install, I but found you a link:

http://www.macaddict.com/forums/Forum33/HTML/003226.html

go play with those guys and report back.

I hit the wall (an Adaptec "compatible" ISA SCSI controller) with the debian distrib. on the K6 box and planned another campaign at a later date. Figured I'd try a pincer envelopment tactic with Caldera/KDE/Star Office attacking one flank and the Red Hat Brigade on the other. I still haven't picked up the graphics accelerator for for my WWII flight sims (the combination of which is the ONLY thing that could POSSIBLY make me give up SCSI a/o neglect my macs again), so the date ain't quite later 'nuf yet.

Had delusions of smokin' hot-moddin': Star Office runnin' on my PB100 or Duo230. Found some great compatability tables somewhere (don't ask me where, the bookmarks are MIA from an AOL re-install counterattack to stem the attacks of web-based intruders trying to run IE on systems that I had vainly attempted to purge of every last vestige of that evil menace - the preceeding .txt is freely acknowledged to be a mini-rant......but there oughta be a law, so I ain't apologizin for it!)

where the **** was I?............oh yeah!

I found out the SWIM chip was like the Rock of Gibraltar and I'd pro'ly never have a snowball's chance in **** of runnin' even my 2300c under its shore batteries an' thru the blockade into the Med.

If your reconaissance turns up information that the dispositions of the forces arrayed against me have changed, please report back..."I have not yet begun to fight!"- JPJones. Serapis might have been dead meat, but I aint bangin my macs on no rock!....hmmmm.....maybe the k6 box though......

jt

p.s. now that I think about it, JPJ shouldn't'a whacked Serapis with his Mac Portable (early experimental maritime prototype in a cast iron, but really flashy design, form factor) either, she wound up his ride home! If you got this far, tell FW to give me two bonus posting points and check-six comrade! FW, if you got this far I get an additional two! ;-)

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  18:33:03
I think it's about time you stopped by your pharmacy and got your anti-incoherence/anti-tangents prescription refilled.

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
Forum moderator
68k Macintosh Liberation ArmyGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  21:22:11
quote:

I think it's about time you stopped by your pharmacy and got your anti-incoherence/anti-tangents prescription refilled.

having muuuuuuch more fun like this!
you don't like the military stuff?

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Jan 2002 22:23:06Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  21:23:54
or the pointy parts?

jt

back again, forgot to add the the disclaimer......

;-)

back again to report:
the trash can button says I need a to be a mod to delete a post....
thought I was supposed to be able to delete my own posts...
so I edited the double post and split the content so it'd look like I was being a smart @$$, rather than revealing to the world that I'm really a du..................

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 16 Jan 2002 22:29:40Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 16 Jan 2002 :  21:33:44
quote:

I got GNOME now.....

still love the alliteration.
thanks for twisting FW's tail for me!

Link do any good? here's another one.

http://www.byte.com/documents/s=111/byt19990810s0005/index2.htm

CHAOS MANOR LIVES! ever seen Jerry's column or BYTE?

read his stuff like it's a field manual......
with entertainment!

jt

report for debriefing, trooper!

Go to Top of Page

Jehannum
Starting Member

2 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  09:20:14
uhhh

You can't just type apt-get install xwindow-system?

I installed debian m68k on my quadra awhile back, and got X running using apt no problem.

Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin-foil underwear!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 19 Jan 2002 :  14:02:35
quote:

Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin-foil underwear!

thanks for chiming in, i'm out of my depth here and would appreciate more info on your install & hardware config.

jt

footnote (oblique relevance to thread):
i remember your id/sig from somewhere..............did you check out the Chaos Manor link? (or anyone else) J.P.'s accounts of multi/cross-platform troubleshooting were always very helpful to me (and as entertaining as his S.F. IMHO). I've searched a lot of classic info (memory/boxes/web) since enlisting in the 68kMLA, but i'm not sure how helpful/welcome/on-topic some of it might be.

thanks for jump-starting my brain troops!

Go to Top of Page

Jehannum
Starting Member

2 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  08:32:15
Details:
Quadra 800, 136MB RAM, 4.3GB Seagate 7200 RPM SCSI drive

Off hand, [url=http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/x4.0/]here's[/url] a page that might help. For a time, I was running debian stable on my quadra. I continue to run Debian on my PC's.

One thing I don't recommend is trying to compile from source on any m68K machine.

You might recall my id/sig from MacAddict forums, as that's where I post from time to time.

Your powers are useless! I'm wearing my tin-foil underwear!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.