PowerBook
 cheep pram batt?
Author Topic  
ek9hatch
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  10:09:34
anyone got a suggestion as to where i could get a cheep pram batter for my duo 250?

Current Arsenal:
TiBook 667
Powermac 7100/80AV
Duo 280c
Duo 250
Quadra 605
Centris 650
Centris 610
LC III
Busted PB 5300cs

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  13:30:21
I'm not sure about the duo 250, but here's what happened to me.

I was shopping in ASDA(The shame of it) & this chinese lass runs up to me & wants to know if a battery that she is holding in her hand will work with her camara. I know little of camara's, but I recognised the battery a 1.5(or is it 2.4?)v lithium, the same thing as in my Performa 400 & also in my Quadra 840av!

Anyone know if these batteries can be recharged?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  06:09:40
quote:

Anyone know if these batteries can be recharged?

Yes, that's the whole point of them!
The battery recharges when your computer is on, so it can back up your settings when your computer is off.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  07:39:54
~Coxy is right. On Powerbooks, the PRAM battery is usually a little rechargeable lithium battery pack (a few PB models use NiCd or non-rechargeable lithium batteries).

Regards shaktiman's sighting of possible PRAM batteries at ASDA, they may or may not work. Many of the non-portable Macs use a single 1/2 AA size lithium battery that puts out 3.6 volts. Also, the PRAM batteries in desktops are NOT rechargeable so don't try to recharge them unless you don't mind the occasional explosion or leakage of battery goo inside your computer!

A great place to look up the type of PRAM battery in a Mac is:

Laptop PRAM Batteries

Desktop PRAM Batteries

A few tips can extend the life of one's PRAM batteries. For example, Apple recommends NOT leaving a PB sitting unplugged for too many months -- both the main battery and the PRAM battery will die. Letting rechargeable batteries, especially rechargeable lithium batteries, sit drained at zero volts is very bad for them (the manual for my 190cs suggests leaving it unplugged for no more than one month and always going through a complete discharge-recharge cycle every 3 months).

On desktop Macs the power supply provides a trickle current that runs the clock and PRAM -- the PRAM battery is only used when there is no AC power. This means that if you turn off the power strip that is powering your Mac, you will shorten the life of the PRAM battery. And, if you plan to leave a desktop Mac disconnected from mains power for a long time, then you would do well to remove the PRAM battery and store it separately. I haven't found out what the definition of "long time" is yet because I haven't found any specs on the current drain for the PRAM/clock. (On the other hand, leaving an older powerbook connected to the mains all the time is not good for its main NiMH battery. ARGH!)

Sometimes dealing with batteries is so reVOLTing.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
& User of the Hockey Puck Mouse of Radial SymmetryGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.