All Forums
 Lounge
 Has Apple Abandoned It's Heart & Soul?
Author Topic  
Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  21:10:04
For those reading this post, please understand that I'm a Mac user and I don't say anything to put down or make fun of, but rather an opinion based on my personal preference with Macintosh machines.

Since Apple brought out OS X, it's had a mixed reaction from me. Yeah, I'm sure it's great, but to be honest and frank, I don't like Mac OS X because the GUI is too slippery and visual, and rather cumbersome. I prefer the simplicity of the Classic enviroment.

With the news that future Macintosh models are ending and essential killing the Classic OS, I was angry and upset because Apple is turning it's back on consumers that run Classic OS. Sure, there is some Classic Support in OS X, and some users may use MOL to run Classic OS, but I am faced with the final decision I no longer wish to buy a Macintosh because I don't want to run UNIX. I'd rather spend the money and get an older Mac, like the 3 WGS 6150's I just aquired, because they run Classic OS.

Is it me or is Apple leaving it's loyall customers in the dust? Even though they have started a new existance since the iMac came out, but at what cost? Remember the good old days when Macs had signatures, little easter eggs and personalities? Where has that gone?

The Mac OS has a very rich history, and Apple has always been dedicated to keeping it pure. With Apple, you don't have the same headaches on the PC, because we have more universal standards and intelligence in our products.

Many programmers and companies are not ready to ship OS X applications and some even may not release versions, leaving Apple customers in the dark. Even though Apple anounced it would delay the hardcoding of OS X into the toolkit for a while, I still am considering petitioning Apple not to end development of the Classic OS in both hardware & Software products.

Some may argue that Classic OS is old and was in need of updating or replacement. I disagree on the replacement idea. But I do agree that it is old, but it's still good. If it's not broken don't fix it, and don't throw it out.

I like my Classic OS and I don't want to lose it. I still want to buy a new Mac and be able to use Classic OS.

What is your opinion?

Btw, please be patient if I have mentioned incorrect facts or have not expressed myself properly, but the general wind is that Apple is abandoning Classic OS, hence no more updates or development.

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  23:08:20
quote:

Even though Apple anounced it would delay the hardcoding of OS X into the toolkit for a while, I still am considering petitioning Apple not to end development of the Classic OS in both hardware & Software products.

That statement there is the one that got me. There's no Toolbox anymore, kiddo.

Besides, Apple has already ended development of OS 9, and disbanded most of the team. The only work that's going to be done on it is compatibility patches to keep Classic running for a year or two more of OS X, if at all.

If your current handware and software is good enough for you, that's great! You don't need to buy a new Mac. Just keep in mind that Apple isn't going to come back to OS 9, and that the single 1 GHz G4 tower is the newest (but not the fastest) machine that'll ever run OS 9.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  23:35:21
I felt the same way you did...until I bought my PowerBook and started using Jaguar.

OS 9 is dead...matter of fact, OS 9 shouldn't have ever existed. Apple wanted to move to a UNIX-based OS since 8.0, and although A/UX kept System 7's GUI for the most part, OSX had to update. OSX is the future, and to continue developing for Classic will only hurt Apple in the long run.

Does that mean you have to stop using OS 9? No. It runs well on current hardware and it always will. Newer hardware will need OSX. It's not a big deal...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
My Site: http://cine.sytes.net
My Hardware Page: http://cineware.sytes.netGo to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  23:40:13

I think the main reason for OS X is the multitasking.

The multitasking on classic is sort of similar to windows 3.x and has limitations.

Apple added a few things like the thread manager to classic but it still doesn't function like a preemptive multitasking system with threads built from the ground up like the unixes do (and Windows NT etc).

I suppose Apple could have had a Classic interface on top of the Unix multitasking but decided on a interface makeover.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  01:48:50
quote:

I felt the same way you did...

Even though i'm on 10.1, i still feel the same way. Apple really isn't "Apple" anymore. I don't know why, but i can't shake the feeling away that its now a different company, marketing a strange non-Macintosh beast. I felt like that even more after they got rid of the Happy Mac.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  02:58:15
I think it's tough on the people who like Mac OS 9 that apple has finally pulled the plug on it, mainly because a number of software companys have been slow to catch up so for some people OS X doesn't have everything in place that users expect. But for an equal number of people the improvements out way the losses.

It must be a pretty simillar situation from going from a IIe to an original Macintosh with windowing! Imagine the numbers of people who said "graphics! who needs them all they do is slow us down and get in the way, command line, command line now!!!"

OS X does have a lot of fluff but it's not hard to make it look and act a lot more like 9, hide the dock, hide the toolbars on windows, make each item open in a new window etc. If you do all these things it suddenly looks a lot more like OS 9 but if you ask me you're losing a lot of the efficency.

Proper multi-tasking and the improved stability were enough to convince me! I can count the number of KP's after several months of usage on my fingers. Almost half of them were due to me running Racer which actually said it would not run on anything prior os X.2! X doesn't slow to a crawl when accessing a network. It doesn't freeze when you use the menus. You can burn CD's and rip MP3's in the background.

There are a few things I'm not so keen on though.

I'm still undecided on the pin stripes.

There is no option to set the delay between selecting a menu item and a response, in OS 9 you could make the menus blink 0 1 2 or 3 times, 0 is where it should be! X has a slight pulse and a fade out that add nothing to the experience. This one really really annoys me!

I'm concerned about the new complexity of the system. It's become much more complex than OS 9 but I'm starting to get my head around it and it'sonly a matter of time. Should I have a major problem I'm not sure I could track down the source, on the other hand I've never had a major problem and hardware stuff is no harder than before. I wish there was a crash log to english convertor though!

It has to be said though that Windows has made up a lot of lost ground. I've been playing around with the Q605 I got the other day, playing games I haven't played for years and reliving some of my early computing years. Going back to system 7 is easy, apart from hitting command-backspace all the time! It seems to me that in many ways the classic Mac OS became stagnant, with only minor tweaks and adding support for newer hardware, USB etc, but no real imporvements., what was once light years ahead is now the norm.

The change from 9 -> X was a massive leap in a short space of time, making it hard for some to swallow. From 7 onwards we should have slowly evolved towards X rather it seems like someone flipped a switch. I know there are technical reasons why this would have been hard to do but it really seems that Apple sat on their laurels and then realised they were going to need to pull a rabbit out of a hat to stay ahead. (yes i know all about copland etc, but they fumbled the ball soo many times!)

Anyway in about an hours time I'm going to be ringing my dad and walking him through the update from 9 to X. I think with Jaguars release X became ready for prime time, at least for most people. Classic can never be perfect but even for games it works remarkably well. I know peoplehave problems with Quark but apart from that it works well. Photoshop is the only classic App i still use and only because I can't afford a new version.

Citon there are plenty of Macs out there that run OS 9, you said yourself you just bought some 6150's, how many models of Mac are there between that and the dual 1.25's that still boot 9??? You can update a lot of times before you get something that can't run 9!

Apple may lose customers that die with OS 9 but there are a lot of unix/linux users that OS X will appeal to and they're already bringing their software with them.

We're going to look back in a few years time when no one complains about the speed of X on the latest hardware and wonder how we ever managed to do anything with OS 9! Have you noticed how the rumor sites have almost no talk of system updates since 10.2.2? My guess is it's because there's little to complain about now.

Edited by - gothikon on 30 Jan 2003 03:07:06

Edited by - gothikon on 30 Jan 2003 03:17:36Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  05:08:04
I feel that OS X was the only choice for apple, because they knew "classic" was going to die. They knew this almost as far back as system 7. System 8 brought a TON of improvements sure, but that was still just to keep the masses happy. OS X was in dev in the background the entire time.

I have a LOT of the OS X history here at my house. I am missing hte original NeXTStep OS, but I have openstep, both rhapsody Dev releases, and now OS X server 1.1. IMHO, it seemed like apple had been hinting, and making public, that they were going somewhere. Sure your everyday consumer usually had no clue, but the developers had plenty of time. Anything that isn't for OS X, its because of its own laziness, or because the company is too small. (Although a LOT of single handed programmers have even converted stuff to X).

OS X has the best multitasking I have ever seen. Noted I have never used an SGI machine or the likes, but in the average consumer base, there is no OS to beat it. I have tested the limits of it, and not once has it mistreated me while doing so. 77 applications open at once is a bit much to ask of a computer, but this machine took it in stride. Granted it is fairly fast, but the OS makes it even faster.

Classic was dead and apple knew it. The OS's are based on such radically different cores however, that a simple transition would have resulted in a couple years of "dead" time. I believe the "flick of a switch" was the only way to go for such a vast improvement.

Apple seems to have, in the past 2 years or so, gone from being a litle cupertino computer company, considered to be a joke, to a serious, corporate, computing company. No more little leagues.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  06:34:08
maclover5:
quote:
I don't know why, but i can't shake the feeling away that its now a different company, marketing a strange non-Macintosh beast. I felt like that even more after they got rid of the Happy Mac.

That sounds like the way I felt when Apple abandoned the Apple and went to the Macintosh. But time moves on and the computer industry advances. Also, Apple has to force you to upgrade in order to make lots of money.

Da Penguin:

quote:
Classic was dead and apple knew it.

I agree completely. The classic OS was really designed around 1 computer running 1 or 2 programs at a time. For the server, they had the server OS. Also, its lack of some desired built-in hotkeys and navigational kludges, which are great if you're trying to learn how to use a computer, but get in the way of more advanced users turned a lot of people off (at least that's how I felt for the longest time.) These days, people are connecting to the internet, networking and their hands are becomeing part of the keyboard and mouse. Apple addressed at least the first issue very well by cleverly *NIX'ing the OS. Now you can set up permissions galore, run shell apps and scripts, etc. Then there's LDAP, NFS and other stuff built right into the OS. Microsoft doesn't even see it comeing.

How much you wanna bet that in a couple years Microsoft will try and cram UNIX into windows?

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III, FPU, 20/80/enet, 7.5.5, Mail Server

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 1G/512k L2, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  06:39:54
my *one* and only real problem with swithching to OSX right now, is my software applications. I use Apple/ClarisWorks 5, Microsoft Office 98, and at least a few other programs, that will cost me a bundle when I get my PowerBook (to buy for it)

other problems I've had, are with OSX interface, when one thinks of OSX, they think of single icons that take up more thanhalf of your screen, and one thinks of being unable to tone the obscenely large dock down a bit.

I generally am under the opinion though, that 9 is a system for 604e macs that can't successfully run MacOSX

but there have been other ways that I feel, I, and others may have been let down. Apple used to be a great peripherals manufacturer, and now has a style that would go great with it's products, but won't do anything...

(just cory's little thoughts)

Official 68k videographerGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  06:45:27
cory5412
quote:
Apple used to be a great peripherals manufacturer, and now has a style that would go great with it's products, but won't do anything...

I think what's happening is Apple is going mainstream. And while this is good for Apple, it's not necessarily good for the classic enthusiast.Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  11:31:46
Okay, coming in as somebody who did W98 for years, bought a PB1400 to give MacOS a try, and was completely seduced by OS X.

As a windows user, I found classic a completely frustrating experience. Yes, many of the menus were much better laid out and it was very easy to set up 8.x and adjust settings.

But at the end of the day, Classic OS was nice UI laid out over a bunch of string and chewing gum with regular bailing wire and spit patches. So many things about it drove me batty! I was a much faster worker in W98 with my taskbar, start button, and windows explorer. I didn't 9 million windows blossoming all over my desk. The taskbar was so much better for seeing what I had open and switching between windows and programs.

Then there's the whole multi-tasking and protected memory thing.

I *hate* rebooting. In W98 (which I always found fast and stable, months between BSODs) if an app crashed, I killed it, re launched it and got going. Not so in classic OS.

I mastered moving about in OS X much much quicker than I did for classic.

If you like OS 9, then by all means, keep using it.

But I would say that Apple is all about providing the best user experience for its users. Now that they've switched to a modern OS with all the amenities, I would say that they are being more true to their ideals than ever.

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  15:50:09
I honestly don't see what people find so great about the classic Mac OS. Every time I boot into Classic, I feel extremely limited. The mutitasking sucks, there is no taskbar or dock, and when one thing crashes, the whole system dies. The GUI isn't as great as people say it is. It feels very cumbersome, especially with many windows open. Yes, the GUI is simple, but Mac OS X can be customized to be just as simple. OS X is much more intuitive than OS 9. Everything is where it should be.

To me, Classic feels like a piece of beaten up wooden furniture that's had its many large holes filled with wood putty rather than being completely refinished. Yes, it's that same piece of furniture that you've treasured for many years, but it doesn't look very good next to a new piece of furniture straight from the store. OS X is simply a better piece of software than Classic.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  19:32:22
I agree with what Kady said last year though about how rebooting into OS 9 is like going from a distant time in the future to 1970. It is. Sure, OS 8 looks rather modern on my LC475 and my LC630, and OS 9 runs beautifully on my PB1400, but its not the OS to run on a newer Mac. As for a main OS, Classic really is dead.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 6
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  21:11:19
I'm a new convert! I'm on my GHz PowerBook G4... and I LOVE THIS MACHINE!!!

the OS boots fast... and everything runs sweetly

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  08:42:30
Cory: You can resize the Dock, or eliminate it altogether.

The best OS for classic Macs, for simplicity, ease-of-use, and economical use of resources, was System 6.0.8 (previous versions of System 6 lacked MultiFinder, the ability to run two applications simultaneously). System 6 runs like lightning on 8 mHz SEs, and the whole OS can fit on a single 800 KB diskette.

With OS 7 and beyond, Apple began piling up hundreds of strange extensions and library files, until by 9 the System Folder looked like something out of Micro$oft, but without the functionality of Windows 2000.

OS X was necessary if Apple were to survive. It catapaults the Mac into the Unix world, and thereby has the potential for making Mac inroads into the business world, especially as companies (and governments) become increasingly disenchanted with M$'s draconian licensing costs.

You watch. Within two years, Apple is going to launch an office suite to compete with M$ Office and offer it for free to anyone who buys a Power Mac.

/Mr Lynn

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn’t have a space program.
--Larry Niven

Edited by - mrlynn on 31 Jan 2003 08:44:46Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  09:27:11
quote:

Cory: You can resize the Dock, or eliminate it altogether.

The best OS for classic Macs, for simplicity, ease-of-use, and economical use of resources, was System 6.0.8 (previous versions of System 6 lacked MultiFinder, the ability to run two applications simultaneously). System 6 runs like lightning on 8 mHz SEs, and the whole OS can fit on a single 800 KB diskette.

With OS 7 and beyond, Apple began piling up hundreds of strange extensions and library files, until by 9 the System Folder looked like something out of Micro$oft, but without the functionality of Windows 2000.

OS X was necessary if Apple were to survive. It catapaults the Mac into the Unix world, and thereby has the potential for making Mac inroads into the business world, especially as companies (and governments) become increasingly disenchanted with M$'s draconian licensing costs.

You watch. Within two years, Apple is going to launch an office suite to compete with M$ Office and offer it for free to anyone who buys a Power Mac.

/Mr Lynn

The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn?t have a space program.
--Larry Niven

Edited by - mrlynn on 31 Jan 2003 08:44:46

You are correct except for one thing system 6.0.7 and 6.0.5 had the multifinder also and versions before you could also have this little application made by an apple employee called something like shelf or something.
I bet apple is going to take the source from open office and make it compleately cocoa. They already have a version for mac os x that requires X11.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  10:15:28
quote:

You are correct except for one thing system 6.0.7 and 6.0.5 had the multifinder also

I stand corrected. For some reason I ended up going from 6.0.4 to 6.0.8, and so never saw .5 and .7.

/Mr Lynn

--Larry NivenGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  13:31:40
quote:
Classic OS was nice UI laid out over a bunch of string and chewing gum with regular bailing wire and spit patches.

Sounds more like Microsoft Windows to me.

quote:
Then there's the whole multi-tasking and protected memory thing.

Ooh! I didn't know X had protected memory. That would explain a few things. Nice.

quote:
I *hate* rebooting. In W98 (which I always found fast and stable, months between BSODs) if an app crashed, I killed it, re launched it and got going. Not so in classic OS.

No way, man. Not if you leave the computer on 24/7 like in a FTP server situation. Microsoft has admitted in so many words that W98 has memory leaks. You can't safely disable the virtual memory in W98 the way you can in Classic OS (I never use VM in Classic) and the longer you leave the W98 machine on, the more you do, the more it slows down. Ever heard the term "thrashing"? That's when virtual memory gets so fragmented that the hard drive just sits there churning away every time it tries to do somehting. Don't tell me it's not real, I've seen it, experienced it, excepted it, and so adopted a rebooting regiment. It's not as bad in NT or XP/2000, but it's still an issue.
Another thing: I've been able to trace down every single bomb I've had in Classic to a conflict with other software almost always *seperate* from the OS itself. ex: 3rd party extensions and the like, corrupted Preferences files/system file, etc. Windows is a maze you can't figure out and it's pointless to try, so you're left with no alternative but to reinstall. Another little trick is to reset the PRAM whenever the computer isn't shut down or reset properly through the Classic OS. This includes Control+Option+Power restarts. Otherwise, your problems will snowball.

Lessons Learned:
1. Always reset the PRAM after improper restarts.
2. Don't use virtual memory if you can get around it.Go to Top of Page

MrLynn

USA
394 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  14:49:08
quote:

Lessons Learned:
1. Always reset the PRAM after improper restarts.
2. Don't use virtual memory if you can get around it.

Resetting PRAM is a real pain, because you have to reset time, date, and other settings. I never do it unless there are real problems, and I've amost never had any that severe (been using Macs since 1987), except for dying HDs, and resetting PRAM doesn't help there.

VM is much-maligned, but I've never found it a problem. I expect an overcrowded HD would make it problematic, though.

/Mr Lynn

--Larry NivenGo to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  22:06:16
quote:

I think with Jaguars release X became ready for prime time, at least for most people.

Sure, that is what they said about 10.1.

Even though I prefer Mac OS 9 over Mac OS X, I think abandoning the older system software is a good thing. For once the platform will be allowed to mature, rather than be the victim of upgrade mania.

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  23:42:20
hehehe... I heard that you could run OSX .2 actually on the 604s that are supported buy Xpostfacto, some non g3 PowerBooks (and the original) and supposedly, 603 desktop machines

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  06:01:47
Nah, 10.2 doesn't run on 603/604 machines. 10.1 will, though, if you use XPostFacto to install it.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  13:51:30
I have to disagree.

I think the GUI in Mac OS X is far better than in the previous Mac OS's.

I was very interested to see the similarities between X and System 6 (Control Panels vs System Prefs anyone?)

It's cleaner. We use a Hierarchial File System, which is expressed VERY nicely by Collum views.

I used to argue about not being able to Windowshade windows... I don't anymore. I've been using the dock FAR more efficently than I used to (I've used OS X since the Public Beta, for MOST of my work) and find it very nice. I keep mine small, but never hidden.

I don't beleive Apple should be supporting OS 9 anymore. They SHOULD be ditching OS 9. The argument that "I have to buy all new software" doesn't stack up. Yes, you can use MS Office w/ Word 6 in OS 9. But There are problems with it, and M$ won't support it.

If Apple had created a 9.5, or a OS X that was based on the traditional OS, You can be assured that 98 likely wouldn't be supported, would have problems, and 2000 would work well (or as well as M$ products ever do)

We use 4 Macs in my house, all running 10.2.3:

400MHz G4 (PCI graphics)
500MHz G3 iBook
333MHz iMac
PM 7600/132 w/300MHz G3 upgrade

Exactly zero of these has a "Classic" environment. OS 9 doesn't live on them, anywhere.

They are far more stable than any systems we've ever used, except for the 6.0.8 SE.

Is Apple supporting OS 9 anymore? No. Are they developing it anymore? No. Are they stopping you from useing it? No.

Should Apple have 2 OSes for the next 5 years, one based on OS X and another based on the Classic OS? Why should they, other than appease those that don't like the change?

What's different between switching form Mac OS 9 to OSX than from 9 to XP Pro?

Nothing. It's a change, of just as dramatic proportions. Pick the OS you want, the one that you think works best. It's your computer, your life.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Admin of The WonderLAN
~~"We are all Mad here"~~Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  18:14:36
quote:

I was very interested to see the similarities between X and System 6 (Control Panels vs System Prefs anyone?)

I noticed that and it's one of the things I really like. I always thought it was much neater in OS 6

quote:

The argument that "I have to buy all new software" doesn't stack up. Yes, you can use MS Office w/ Word 6 in OS 9. But There are problems with it, and M$ won't support it.

I meant to say something about this earlier. You don't have to buy new copies of all your software. Classic is there for a reason! My g/f has to use MS office (access) for work but she only has Office 2000 (2001?) which unfortunately is not even carbon but runs fine in classic, I've also set up office 98 for people runing it in classic aswell. For me personally the only program I use in classic is photoshop 6, but before I had OS X updates for all my other Apps they also worked fine in classic.

However I do still boot up in OS 9 for a few games, although the difference in speed gets smaller with every update, MOHAA and Jedi Knight are still faster in OS 9

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  22:38:25
quote:

my *one* and only real problem with swithching to OSX right now, is my software applications. I use Apple/ClarisWorks 5, Microsoft Office 98, and at least a few other programs, that will cost me a bundle when I get my PowerBook (to buy for it)

Use OpenOffice. It's a good replacement for M$ office, and it's more powerful than AppleWorks.
I think that OS X is the best thing to ever happen to Apple. OS X has been embraced by the OSS community, which opens up the door to scores of apps that provide excellent alternatives to propriety software (Bochs instead of VPC, OpenOffice to M$ Office, gcc/Project Builder vs. CodeWarrior, etc). Both UIs are very usable, IMHO, Aqua is at least as good as Platinum (if not better). The only things sacrificed in the move are slight decreases in performance and security (OS 9 is increbidly secure-*nix not as much). Both sacrifices have been mitigated since the release of 10.2, with performance increases and a built-in firewall. I started using 10.2.3 as my primary OS a few months ago, and I don't think I'm going back.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  01:29:36
my next question... how would I get OpenOffice?

Big Bog De Blob
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  17:04:00
Sigh...I've seen this so many times, and it's not good. As a Mac user all my life, all I have to say about this is that I can't for the life of me understand why all of these Mac users are all bent up over OS X. IT"S NEW PEOPLE! It's like getting married. Sure your no longer on your own, and sure there's some downsides, but as always there's more pros than cons. Mac OS X has SO many features that Classic was lacking I can't even BEGIN to list them. I personally am not a HUGE fan of change, but in this case it's a good one. Get over it. Things change. I frequently switch back and forth between classic and X and I DEFINATLY like using X better. And as far as Easter eggs goes, i'm sure that somebody somewhere has made a little app that adds some. You don't really have an argument there. Do you have a computer to use it or to see little easter egg/spoof things appear on your screen?

"Guns are no more responsible for killing people than the spoon is responsible for making Rosie O'Donell fat"Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  17:07:19
quote:

my next question... how would I get OpenOffice?

Official 68k videographer

openoffice.org

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  18:55:14
Anyone who wishes OS X had a classic-ish GUI, you really should check out either rhapsody or os x server 1.1. *Most* cocoa apps that worked before OS X 10.1, and even some after, work fine. Ther eis no carbon support as far as I can see, but if you can get the source code of even newer apps, you can sometimes recompile them to work.

My work in OS X server has been frustrating, but very inspiring and has taught me a lot about the history of os x, as well as understanding unix better.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| 68khotline.no-ip.org <-- Official Hotline Server |
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  23:01:40
hmm... well if we don't like the way apple's doing things, we could open up our own open source project, a MacOS compatible OS that is based loosely upon the structure with which OSX is built, but "feels" more like classic

it's like how at www.reactos.com theyre building an NT4 compatible OS...
hehhe

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  10:11:32
Also, if you go to bsdmall.com you can buy a disk that will give you open office, plus abiword, some utitlities, gimp, and some classic games for about $50.

I bought it to replace Think Free Office and have been well pleased.

It installs and opens X Windows without a hitch. The only fly in ointment is that I can't figure out how to copy and paste from XWindows to Aqua and vice versa.

---

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  13:25:47
quote:

I don't beleive Apple should be supporting OS 9 anymore. They SHOULD be ditching OS 9. The argument that "I have to buy all new software" doesn't stack up. Yes, you can use MS Office w/ Word 6 in OS 9. But There are problems with it, and M$ won't support it.

We use 4 Macs in my house, all running 10.2.3:

400MHz G4 (PCI graphics)
500MHz G3 iBook
333MHz iMac
PM 7600/132 w/300MHz G3 upgrade

I believe that in principle, you are absolutely right. The only thing is that you can now pick up PPC604 based Macs pretty cheap on eBay. It doesn't really bother me if Apple quits supporting Classic OS, as long as there are great communities like this one and LEM where you can still find all the help you could ask for. Sure, it would be great to have a G4 in my PM7600, but the Sonnet upgrade cards are still really expensive, and not all of us can afford them. Sure, it's great to have enough money to upgrade every year, but some of us are here in the first place because we can't afford that.

There's CPU card-to-ZIF converters out there which can be cheaper than the Sonnet cards, but I think they are slower. Does anyone else know more about these?Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  16:56:13
quote:
I feel that OS X was the only choice for apple, because they knew "classic" was going to die.

I can't believe you said "only choice" sure classic had to die but there are allways choices, though I guess Apple wanted to think like the herd instead of thinking differently?

quote:
I honestly don't see what people find so great about the classic Mac OS. Every time I boot into Classic, I feel extremely
limited. The mutitasking sucks, there is no taskbar or dock, and when one thing crashes, the whole system dies. The GUI isn't
as great as people say it is. It feels very cumbersome, especially with many windows open. Yes, the GUI is simple, but
Mac OS X can be customized to be just as simple. OS X is much more intuitive than OS 9. Everything is where it should be.

To me, Classic feels like a piece of beaten up wooden furniture that's had its many large holes filled with wood putty rather
than being completely refinished. Yes, it's that same piece of furniture that you've treasured for many years, but it doesn't
look very good next to a new piece of furniture straight from the store. OS X is simply a better piece of software than Classic.

Yes it seems classic mac os has it's limitations & it's problems, & now I am stating a possibility,not what nessacarily is,

was mac os 7 onwards just an attempt to keep up with the jones's(ie:-Windows).

I personally loved Atari Tos which has similarities to classic os. I like the fact that it isn't proper multitasking, it makes it ever so stable, I love the menu at the top so that you are allways in touch with the os & you have options, I love accessories(Apple menu items, control panels & such), for my needs I don't need bizzare virtual memory, I don't need 20 programs that need 60mb each running at the same time, I need a stable computer, which at a stretch can run a few things at once(via the accessories) thereby using handshaking multitasking whereby one program says to another, can I use the cpu for a couple of moments, & the other program replies, be my guest fair program. Then crashes dont happen.

lol everyone was sold something that dos'nt work, "multitasking"

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive,3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14" os 8.1
, 12 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
Performa400(asleepintheattick)Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  17:17:13
quote:

. . . was mac os 7 onwards just an attempt to keep up with the jones's(ie:-Windows).

Win 95 was an attempt to catch up with the Appleseeds! After that, it was more of an incompetent race for the next level . . . which is X!

quote:

lol everyone was sold something that dosn't work, "multitasking"

The Lord of Chaos Manor put it best:

"BASIC MULTITASKING: utilize at LEAST 1 CPU per TASK!"

. . . or that's the best I can paprphrase J.P . . . I agree, anything less is just ASKING for trouble!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.